onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer signings

Playa Amodores

Advert

Was it a come and get me interview from Wozza (aimed at other clubs) perhaps feeling we’re not interested in doing a deal with him?  He didn’t sound anywhere near as enthusiastic about staying at the club as Tom Pett did when he was interviewed a few weeks back.  Pettza appeared a lot more open about how much he liked being at the club and gave the impression he’d jump at a chance to stay. Wozza mentioned his age as if he was thinking the club might see him as being too old to offer him contract but Pett is a 30+ too and both, in my view, are two of a very few out of contract players that I wouldn’t be disappointed to see playing for us again next season.

11 hours ago, WV said:

Surely league one footballers are on more than a grand a week? 

Morecambe have 7 players on 2 grand a week or more but a lot of their squad are paid 1 - 1.5 thousand. Most of their higher paid players are on loan; so they probably aren't paying all the salary. Their average wage is about 900. 

Worrall keeps himself fit and is a true professional. I'm sure he could play a couple more seasons. Don't think he'd be after a massive wage. He's been our best wide player all season; so keeping some of the alternatives and letting him go will only make us worse.

Woz is by far the most effective creative and attacking player in our squad, despite being played in such a deep, defensive role for much of the season.

I'll be angry if we don't keep him, or at least try and keep him with a fair contract offer. 

I can count the number of bad games he's had for us on one hand, he's by far the most consistent player in our team. 

15 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Can’t believe we won’t offer Wozz a deal.  My own thoughts were that he’d get a tempting offer from a club more minted than ourselves and that would be that.  The obvious risk here is that we’re leaving the door wide open.

His agents will be active with many clubs and particularly in L2 seeing him as a great acquisition. Not too old; plays many games per season and very experienced. I want to keep him. I think he is a good L1 player. Good for another 2-3 years with his role adjusting as necessary.

Wingback is surely the most demanding physically and he's coped well. When the defence falls apart or the attack breaks down I'm rarely thinking Worrall was at fault. Plus he's a solid / good set piece taker.

23 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Maybe we are waiting to see which division we are in? Maybe once we are mathematically safe after today, the contract offer will wizz in?

I think the normal end of season complexity has been added to by way of the manager change. That's the one who's left can't be talked to and the new appointment can't yet have a say. I guess Crosby may be the man, but still not officially appointed if so. And busy!

Worrall has a good CV on promotions. I doubt he can get us upward out of L1, but he could get us back from L2 to L1. But worries nearly over after today when we win 3-0 at Charlton with a Proctor hat trick. 

15 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

If the budget is tighter, the club will have to think long and hard about extending a 32yo wide player's contract.

Not saying I'd get rid, I just understand it if he is let go.

Weigh up the pros and cons to Worrall

For me, there are no cons. Yes he's 32, but he's every bit as fit as any of the younger lads.

If you're looking to tighten up the purse strings, you certainly don't start with Worrall, your most experienced, versatile and consistent player over the last however many years.

31 minutes ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Weigh up the pros and cons to Worrall

For me, there are no cons. Yes he's 32, but he's every bit as fit as any of the younger lads.

If you're looking to tighten up the purse strings, you certainly don't start with Worrall, your most experienced, versatile and consistent player over the last however many years.

Probably overthinking it, but when you play like we do (especially under Crosby in both his spells) by ceding possession and sitting off teams, you need athleticism out wide to be able to counter.

Worrall is a really good player but he doesn't beat a man like he used to. I get the feeling we're going to completely revamp the wing-back position this summer.

Archived