onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer signings

Playa Amodores

As a retained list has been started, I’d thought this should run alongside it. Obviously we don’t know details of players at other clubs but being realistic, who would you like the club to bring in to replace those going out.

Would anyone want Charlie Kirk currently on loan at Burton from Charlton. I know Vale fans have given him lots of grief when he was at Crewe but could he replace Mal Benning if we decide to replace him. We forgave Tommy Widdringtin and what he did when playing for Southampton was bordering on GBH. Also Kirk is a local lad.

Advert

I think we can all see a decent CB or 2 for this level are a must if we're to compete any better than we are consistently(and keeping the forwards fit!!).  Closely followed by a LB/LWB.  Then a GK(permanent) and an experienced CM.

I'd try and sign Taylor and Butterworth(young and good potential) permanently.  Politic I can't quite make my mind up, I'm a big fan on ability but I get why some aren't keen, he is a threat and can score goals(which are obviously useful) but is also anonymous in some games.  If we could agree a good deal for the club(he's ooc at Cremonese I believe) but if his agent is being a prat again then wouldn't push the boat out too much.

I think we can all see a decent CB or 2 for this level are a must if we're to compete any better than we are consistently(and keeping the forwards fit!!).  Closely followed by a LB/LWB.  Then a GK(permanent) and an experienced CM.
I'd try and sign Taylor and Butterworth(young and good potential) permanently.  Politic I can't quite make my mind up, I'm a big fan on ability but I get why some aren't keen, he is a threat and can score goals(which are obviously useful) but is also anonymous in some games.  If we could agree a good deal for the club(he's ooc at Cremonese I believe) but if his agent is being a prat again then wouldn't push the boat out too much.

Politic would be a monumental waste of budget. We don't play with wingers half the time, when we do he's effective maybe 1 in every 10 games and he left Bolton and us in the dust for big bucks in Italy. Money better spent elsewhere for me.

Butterworth is a funny one, before Xmas I'd have been all over him, now I'm indifferent. He can't seem to find a position that suits, not good as a striker, not good off the wings when we're forced into 4 3 3, had some good games as a 10 but he isn't going to dislodge Garrity. If the wages are cheap I'd try for him but other than that, I'd be looking elsewhere.

I've also changed my mind a bit on Butterworth. He seems to have gone off the boil but he's still young and could become more consistent. I'll hold my hand up and say I'm a Politic fan - he's clearly hit and miss but when on song, he makes things happen in games and that sort of ability can be precious. However, I think with both Butterworth and Politic it would come down to wages. It depends if they are worth it or if there are other options.

I know things change quickly in football but I've been impressed with Stone since he returned. I would imagine that may affect the goalkeeping targets in the summer if he keeps it up. I would guess Stevens will go back and perhaps they'll look for someone to back-up Stone rather than take his place next season.

I think Taylor could well be a done deal. I would be delighted if so. 

In terms of outgoings, I'd be very pleased if a crop of youngsters are offered deals from the youth ranks. But if so, it would be really good if the club could strike deals with some smaller clubs to get them immediately out on season-long loans. Perhaps Salisbury may be one of those clubs? I think it would be good if there was a clear path for 3-4 of them to be loaned out and their progress monitored, not just turning up to first-team training with their only first-team opportunities being in the FLT games. I believe on loan players can be picked in the FLT games anyhow so it totally makes sense to try and get the young first-year professionals out playing regular, competitive football.

I've also changed my mind a bit on Butterworth. He seems to have gone off the boil but he's still young and could become more consistent. I'll hold my hand up and say I'm a Politic fan - he's clearly hit and miss but when on song, he makes things happen in games and that sort of ability can be precious. However, I think with both Butterworth and Politic it would come down to wages. It depends if they are worth it or if there are other options.
I know things change quickly in football but I've been impressed with Stone since he returned. I would imagine that may affect the goalkeeping targets in the summer if he keeps it up. I would guess Stevens will go back and perhaps they'll look for someone to back-up Stone rather than take his place next season.
I think Taylor could well be a done deal. I would be delighted if so. 
In terms of outgoings, I'd be very pleased if a crop of youngsters are offered deals from the youth ranks. But if so, it would be really good if the club could strike deals with some smaller clubs to get them immediately out on season-long loans. Perhaps Salisbury may be one of those clubs? I think it would be good if there was a clear path for 3-4 of them to be loaned out and their progress monitored, not just turning up to first-team training with their only first-team opportunities being in the FLT games. I believe on loan players can be picked in the FLT games anyhow so it totally makes sense to try and get the young first-year professionals out playing regular, competitive football.
Agree on the loan clubs. I think the combination of nantwich (local and decent standard with modern facilities) and Sailsbury (higher standard, potentially the need to relocate) has done wonders for James Plant's game this season. If we get safety sooner rather than later I'd hope him and Tommy make the bench a few times over the likes of Mipo and Holden.

I dont know the logistics of replacing the pitch and I guess if they’re saying three years from now that must be for reasons of logistics rather than cost? May seem like the wrong thread to bring that up  but for standard two year contracts, that faces us to recruiting more Garrities than Butterworths.

With the awful form we're in now (8 points out of 33), I've thinking about our recruitment. I've been fairly consistently critical of it for 12 months and this run only reinforces that for me. It's a consequence of the squad not really improving in that time to any consistent degree and not solving the recurring issues.

I loved the work we did in Summer 2021. I feel we're now a mid-table League 1 side primarily due to the work we did that year, and our good management team. It was a transformative summer which propelled the club forward, and subsequent windows have merely been minor repair work to keep the rocket going. 

There was a blank canvas with a clear plan. We signed players to fit a clear playing style; 352, with a high-line and ball-playing wide centre backs, a tenacious middle, and technical quality in a front two. The signings fit this plan: Lucas, Cass, Jones, Benning, Pett, Garrity, Walker, Wilson, and Proctor all seamlessly fit into the system and contributed positively. You could see the thinking behind them. Martin was a steady signing. Even players like Johnson, who didn't cut it, has gone on to do well in a similar system at Stockport. There weren't any big misses. The worst signing was a young CB who we sold on and has since done well.

Since then, everything has felt haphazard. I'm not sure why. Of the 24 players we've signed after Summer 2021 (from Danny Amos to Matty Taylor), which of of them are currently playing well for us on a consistent basis? Ojo, in the 70% of the games he's been fit? Harrison, in the 60% of minutes he's played and without an open play goal since mid October? Forrester, in the 50% of minutes he's managed? Massey, in the 70% of minutes he's played as an emergency striker to negligible effect?

Of those 24, several have been really poor, including Holy, Cooper, Hussey, McCarron, Small, and Holden. The entirety of the January 2022 window bar Robinson is gone.

In reality, everyone who has signed, permanently or temporarily, from September 2021-present has either left the club or is here and isn't doing particularly well. We're still reliant on the same individuals who were either signed in Summer 2021 or were already here; Smith, Garrity, Pett, Worrall, Wilson. The supporting cast is made up of the likes of Conlon, Benning, Jones, and Cass. Whilst Forrester, Harrison, Ojo, Robinson, and Butterworth have shown flashes, they're not impacting us to the level of Smith, Garrity et al.

A further concern is that the same issues haven't been solved. Our reliance on data has led to a weak point in goal, which is an area notoriously shaky with regards to statistics. We're on goalkeeper number 4 with no answer in sight. Our wingback areas are completely dependant on the fitness of an ageing David Worrall, who is a winger by trade. Our strikers continue to struggle for fitness over the winter period. The club isn't learning the lessons from the mistakes it's making. We're still a team who needs a fit James Wilson to function well.

This summer needs to be a return to the work done in Summer 2021. We've hit a bit of a wall, and that's fine and natural. 2 years is a reasonable lifespan for a lower-league squad of players. A fairly ruthless approach to contract renewals and a very specific plan for what we're doing is needed. An honest assessment about the flaws of recent windows (no goalkeeper solution, no wingbacks signed to any effect, strikers who can't stay fit, declining consistency of signings) needs to be undertaken. Does the personnel behind the signings need to alter? Does their process need to change? Is it a budgetary issue?

If we carry on the trend we've been on for the last 12 months then I have a few worries. If we can re-do what we did 2 summer ago then we'll cook.

With the awful form we're in now (8 points out of 33), I've thinking about our recruitment. I've been fairly consistently critical of it for 12 months and this run only reinforces that for me. It's a consequence of the squad not really improving in that time to any consistent degree and not solving the recurring issues.
I loved the work we did in Summer 2021. I feel we're a mid-table now League 1 side primarily due to the work we did that year, and our good management team. It was a transformative summer which propelled the club forward, and subsequent windows have merely been minor repair work to keep the rocket going. 
There was a blank canvas with a clear plan. We signed players to fit a clear playing style; 352, with a high-line and ball-playing wide centre backs, a tenacious middle, and technical quality in a front two. The signings fit this plan: Lucas, Cass, Jones, Benning, Pett, Garrity, Walker, Wilson, and Proctor all seamlessly fit into the system and contributed positively. You could see the thinking behind them. Martin was a steady signing. Even players like Johnson, who didn't cut it, has gone on to do well in a similar system at Stockport. There weren't any big misses. The worst signing was a young CB who we sold on and has since done well.
Since then, everything has felt haphazard. I'm not sure why. Of the 24 players we've signed after Summer 2021 (from Danny Amos to Matty Taylor), which of of them are currently playing well for us on a consistent basis? Ojo, in the 70% of the games he's been fit? Harrison, in the 60% of minutes he's played and without an open play goal since mid October? Forrester, in the 50% of minutes he's managed? Massey, in the 70% of minutes he's played as an emergency striker to negligible effect?
Of those 24, several have been really poor, including Holy, Cooper, Hussey, McCarron, Small, and Holden. The entirety of the January 2022 window bar Robinson is gone.
In reality, everyone who has signed, permanently or temporarily, from September 2021-present has either left the club or is here and isn't doing particularly well. We're still reliant on the same individuals who were either signed in Summer 2021 or were already here; Smith, Garrity, Pett, Worrall, Wilson. The supporting cast is made up of the likes of Conlon, Benning, Jones, and Cass. Whilst Forrester, Harrison, Ojo, Robinson, and Butterworth have shown flashes, they're not impacting us to the level of Smith, Garrity et al.
A further concern is that the same issues haven't been solved. Our reliance on data has led to a weak point in goal, which is an area notoriously shaky with regards to statistics. We're on goalkeeper number 4 with no answer in sight. Our wingback areas are completely dependant on the fitness of an ageing David Worrall, who is a winger by trade. Our strikers continue to struggle for fitness over the winter period. The club isn't learning the lessons from the mistakes it's making. We're still a team who needs a fit James Wilson to function well.
This summer needs to be a return to the work done in Summer 2021. We've hit a bit of a wall, and that's fine and natural. 2 years is a reasonable lifespan for a lower-league squad of players. A fairly ruthless approach to contract renewals and a very specific plan for what we're doing is needed. An honest assessment about the flaws of recent windows (no goalkeeper solution, no wingbacks signed to any effect, strikers who can't stay fit, declining consistency of signings) needs to be undertaken. Does the personnel behind the signings need to alter? Does their process need to change? Is it a budgetary issue?
If we carry on the trend we've been on for the last 12 months then I have a few worries. If we can re-do what we did 2 summer ago then we'll cook.
If we can't afford a new pitch for the next three years, I'm not overly convinced we will have the cash for a full squad overhaul to the extent that will make us a force in this league untill that's over. We also have a recruitment team who seem devoid of any creativity in the transfer market. instead of doing what Accrington and Morecambe do on small budgets, searching out non legaue gems like Colby Bishop or disregarded players playing abroad like Dan Crowley, our tactic for a lack of budget is wait a really really long time and and hoover up whatever crap is left at the end if the window.

9 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

I loved the work we did in Summer 2021. I feel we're a mid-table now League 1 side primarily due to the work we did that year, and our good management team. It was a transformative summer which propelled the club forward, and subsequent windows have merely been minor repair work to keep the rocket going. 

Stop moaning Joe. Why do you hate Carol?

Archived