onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

shambles of a season

Advert

A strange season indeed.  We've survived our first season and people often remark about the second season syndrome,  but maybe we've already negotiated that, by experiencing the second half season syndrome? 

Could work in our favour,  if lessons have been learned and are addressed early, we can hopefully look forward to a less uncomfortable  time next year. We've now got time and an understanding of this league,  which according to the club, disadvantaged us at the beginning of this term. 

So without that excuse,  there should be no reason why we shouldn't be significantly improved next season. 

All that said,  don't anybody hold their breath. UTV

8 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

The fact that we actually got promoted under her?

Yeah from League 2. Smurfwaite managed that. Valiant 2001 kept us in mid table league 1 mediocrity for years and it was the 2007/08 relegation that saw it all start to fall apart. 

1 hour ago, Rockape99 said:

The season was always going to be like this , basically we stayed in league which has 10  championship standard team , with a league 2 squad plus OJO and Harrison 

No way would the top 10 of these sides in league 1 stay in the Championship. In fact, Plymouth will probably go straight back down and I only back Ipswich to stay up there because of the additional investment they will put in over the summer. 

I think looking at the season as a whole as “job done” ignores the important issue of momentum. If we’d struggled first half and got a grip second half, the same number of points would have represented momentum in the right direction. Now we’ve got to get ourselves going again from a standing start which is a bigger task.

4 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

No matter how bad the second half of the season has been, we’ve survived in L1 and get the chance to go again next year.

Compare that to the teams we beat in the L2 playoffs last season.

Swindon - no where near playoffs this season and went through 2 managers. 

Mansfield - missed out on playoffs by a single goal.

I know where I’d rather be.

I predict Nigel Clough will leave Mansfield & DC will replace him over the summer.

20 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

I think looking at the season as a whole as “job done” ignores the important issue of momentum. If we’d struggled first half and got a grip second half, the same number of points would have represented momentum in the right direction. Now we’ve got to get ourselves going again from a standing start which is a bigger task.

I think the reason we had such a good first half of the season was down to the 'momentum' of last year, coupled with established league one teams taking time to suss us out.

Once they had, then we struggled.

Yes we now go again from a standing start but we have a few more weeks to prepare bids for players, we already know which league we are in and have had a full season to assess the players we have and targets we need.

It's a huge task especially without a manager in place so in my mind that needs addressing as soon as possible. 

25 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Exactly. As a club we’ve played our hand dreadfully since the turn of the year.

I’ve seen people say we’ve overachieved during the first half of the season, by that logic we are bang in trouble next year.

3 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

for a club that wants to be championship ready its worse than non league in the railway stand. you have to queue at 3:15 to get served for the second half its an absolute joke amd has been for years. 1 tiny kiosk serving 2500 fans . all it takes is to temporarily put a burger van inside the gates by the turnstiles its not exactly rocket science.

All the catering needs a major overhaul, yesterday they sold out of hot food 30 minutes before ko. in the Bycars, Christ knows when the Hamil kiosks ran dry, loosing £1000s per game.

also i believe I’m correct in saying it’s one of the reasons why stand capacity is limited.

13 hours ago, Conrad said:

All the catering needs a major overhaul, yesterday they sold out of hot food 30 minutes before ko. in the Bycars, Christ knows when the Hamil kiosks ran dry, loosing £1000s per game.

also i believe I’m correct in saying it’s one of the reasons why stand capacity is limited.

With hot food long gone, they ran out of snacks at the Family Stand side kiosk in Bycars during half time.  One of the young lads in there nipped out, I assume to the other kiosk, and came back with a small box of random snacks, which soon disappeared.  Like you say it’s a missed opportunity.

Archived