onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I heard the same about Wilson a few weeks ago (whenever Shrewsbury game was) but didn’t say out on here, from a very trusted source who used to work at vale for a number of years until recently. They heard he has a deal elsewhere already sorted. For me not a loss, fantastic player but just Dosent play enough to make it worth it. 

He will end up Stockport or Wrexham I reckon.

Advert

If we cut the budget, serious questions have to be asked where the money has gone. I refuse to believe that the current squad is anywhere near extravagant for a league 1 club or us to sustain. We are having our biggest ever attendances since 1994 which means we managed to stay at Championship level on less until the year 2000. 

The previous year was decent too with the playoff Wembley money. 

Vale park has not had that much thrown at it. Stevenage for example in league 2 have built a whole new north stand and Portsmouth have spent millions on upgrading Fratton Park.

What did we get? Bags of sand for the pitch after Robbie Williams had pranced about on it, a upgraded hospitality suite a decade overdue and a promise to move home fans to the Hamil. Anything else has been window dressing. 

Great ownership doesn’t mean rich ownership throwing money about as Carol has shown, but you can’t run a football club without the hope of success at some point. 

If we cut the budget, serious questions have to be asked where the money has gone. I refuse to believe that the current squad is anywhere near extravagant for a league 1 club or us to sustain. We are having our biggest ever attendances since 1994 which means we managed to stay at Championship level on less until the year 2000. 
Vale park has not had that much thrown at it. Stevenage for example in league 2 have built a whole new north stand and Portsmouth have spent millions on upgrading Fratton Park.
What did we get? Bags of sand for the pitch after Robbie Williams had pranced about on it, a upgraded hospitality suite a decade overdue and a promise to move home fans to the Hamil. Anything else has been window dressing. 
Great ownership doesn’t mean rich ownership throwing money about as Carol has shown, but you can’t run a football club without the hope of success at some point. 
Comparing us to Portsmouth gates?

We don't function as a good side without a fit James Wilson.

It is no coincidence that the only occasions we've beaten a 'good' side in this division have come in his best games - Plymouth and Derby away. He effectively carried us through the playoffs by himself. Our season has crumbled almost to the day he got injured at Sheff Weds.

If he does go then we need a major rethink as to how we play moving forward. I don't think we can go out and afford a player of similar ability, and I don't think this system works in his absence.

30 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

We don't function as a good side without a fit James Wilson.

It is no coincidence that the only occasions we've beaten a 'good' side in this division have come in his best games - Plymouth and Derby away. He effectively carried us through the playoffs by himself. Our season has crumbled almost to the day he got injured at Sheff Weds.

If he does go then we need a major rethink as to how we play moving forward. I don't think we can go out and afford a player of similar ability, and I don't think this system works in his absence.

Agree with all of this. I’m Absolutely certain that there will be clubs willing to pay James much more than we can. But. As much as he’s been a great signing for us, we’ve been a good club for him. Will he find another club willing to build a team around him, as we have pretty much done? Willing to wait a few games for him to get up to speed and hit form? With us he’s the main man. At other places he’s been he hasn’t felt that love. Depends what he wants I suppose? Hope he stays though, he’s a class act who will be difficult to replace. 

I would keep all of em, not 🙂 , luckily for all OVF I did not submit my last draft 🙂 We would require 23 players, but nevermind. 

I do feel this summer is the most important for the club.

We have done well to get to League One in a play off, we all know that can go pear shaped.

We should stay up, but we need to progress and we cannot carry injured players or players that we will not play in the first 11. We do not have that money, so everyone needs to be capable.

I do trust the recruitment, but people need to understand budgets, wages get swallowed up, bonuses. Once clear they we may have some room to manoeuvre, then we can improve, but Rome wasnt built in a day ( quote for the lovers 🙂 )

To all the players we have now, thanks and keep going, I may change this post anytime. UTV

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Comparing us to Portsmouth gates?

Not comparing us to billionaire Disney Portsmouth owners either, but certainly suggesting that what we have had, has seem somewhat modest by most standards. 

Newcastle Town even have a 1.5 million 3G pitch that has come their way, so even by those modest standards we are hardly big spenders. Albeit they got it with a half price grant. 

7 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Interesting turn of phrase from DC in his press conference when he was asked about Benning and Robinson. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but felt like he was saying Benning's times up at the club and Robinsons got 14 games to show us that he can keep up at this level.

I agree with your take but I think that’s goes to everyone. It’s another warning shot to the squad. To be it’s the same noises DC made before we had a huge turnaround.Honestly feel we will have a mass clear out and it’s  going to be an exciting summer of signings.

Interesting turn of phrase from DC in his press conference when he was asked about Benning and Robinson. Maybe I'm reading to much into it but felt like he was saying Benning's times up at the club and Robinsons got 14 games to show us that he can keep up at this level.

I personally think that you've misinterpreted that so far as it relates to Sammy. For me, he was clearly referring to the fact that Mal has had plenty of opportunities to step up, and hasn't, so he can't complain that he's been dropped and if indeed he gets released. The way he was talking about Sammy, for me, was completely the opposite - talking up his talents but clear about where he needs to improve. I think we'll be keeping Sammy, and rightly so, and releasing Mal.

I agree with everything everyone else has said about James. A good servant for the club and as a parting gift to us, I’d like him to play and score the goals we’ll need to assure L1 football next season. I just hope that there aren’t any thoughts of freezing him out. If the rumour is true about him leaving then at least the lad has been decent enough to give us notice.

Wilson has been fantastic when he's been on the pitch. He's far and away the best player we've had for some time and his performance in the playoffs and at Wembley were outstanding.

Having said that, he seems prone to being injured both through muscular/bone injuries and impact injuries. Some people just can't shake things off as easily.

I'm afraid I'd have to release him if it was my decision as we just don't get enough of him at his very best to be worth it. He's either injured or getting back to fitness. We need to find a way to play without him regularly as that's what it's become.

5 hours ago, Valiiant said:

Keep:

Smith

Forrester

Jones

Ojo

Pett

Massey (NOT AS A STRIKER!!!)

Worrall

Garrity

Harrison

Really not bothered about the rest. None of the loanees this season have been anything other than inconsistent and average if we're honest and I wouldn't be looking to retain any of of them, perhaps with the exception of Taylor.

We would have been in <ovf censored> Street this season without our loan players filling in for the injured!

On 19/02/2023 at 08:48, Conrad said:

Agree about Willo, great player when fit but not fit often enough, we can’t afford his wages for a dozen games a year.I know he’s only played one game but Taylor looks an ideal replacement.

Shame about Willo.It’s going to be a very hard call to make (if it’ needs to be decided yet).When on he is just what we need.I think his latest injuries he got from when being tackled.But - There seems to be something about his recovery.We keep being told “2 Weeks “ The question is why do we keep being told this? Is there something else going on that is stopping him recovering? Let’s hope that there is nothing else that is going on,hindering his recovery.Let’s Hope he is back in the squad soon and soon banging goals in for us.Come on Willo get this injury sorted,get back in the squad,get match fit and bang the goals in.

As an aside - With so many injuries.Is there something that is happening in training.?Are the super fantastic Medical team failing?

Depending what the situation is with his contract.Is there still time left or is it up for renewal?If it’s up for renewal.He needs to be back in the squad and playing soon.This would give him chance to show that there are no other issues related to injuries and recovery 

Archived