onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

Controversial one here as he seems to of made a good impression so far.
But at 33 in March is Taylor the sort of fit for next season we want ? 
Surely as an occasional starter / sub he'll be a good fit for us,  but he could easily do a Mullen and fill his boots for big bucks in the National League.
Though now Stockport and probably Wrexham will be in the EFL will that money be swimming around at that level.
It depends if the recruitment team back themselves to find better. There's also the question of wages, I'd imagine he's on a decent wedge at Oxford, but as you say at his age is he willing to take a cut?

If the wages are right, it goes back to the "better the devil you know" situation. He's also only played three games as yet, hard to draw any major conclusion on whether or not too keep him.

Advert

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Appreciate that but chances are he was less likely to be offered a new contract by Robinson as there was some speculation amongst their fans of some unrest between the pair.

Yes but he is now with a manager he trusts plus a player who is his best mate. Good chance he would choose here. The only issue would be uprooting his family or travelling from where he lives.

4 hours ago, mbycars said:

Yes but he is now with a manager he trusts plus a player who is his best mate. Good chance he would choose here. The only issue would be uprooting his family or travelling from where he lives.

Forget this “being with a manager he trusts”  nonsense, no matter what they say it’ll boil down to money. 

I disagree Ray, obviously money plays a part with many players but players also like to feel wanted and valued. I was listening to the radio last night about John Rudge's new book. The author was saying how players came to the Vale simply because of John's reputation as a manager and how he treated players. I think DC has that with some players to a degree.

On 27/02/2023 at 18:18, werstayinup said:

I think Worrall will be offered something to maybe go alongside a coaching role as well

Wilson is a quality player but i have to be honest and say i aren't that bothered if he stays or goes

I agree on both counts

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely sure about all of the players contracts etc. but this is what I would do with the current squad, assuming, at this point, that we are in League 1:

Stone - retain as second keeper

Cass - retain - still young - can continue to progress - probably reasonably inexpensive

Jones - release - based on the injury that he sustained at Shrewsbury - rumour 'ankle reconstruction'. (Feel we need to steer away from injury prone players)

Donnelly - would have him back on loan as a squad player

Smith - retain 

Benning - release

Forrester - retain

Derek - retain - loan out or squad player depending on progress

Sammy - probably retain - blows hot and cold but certainly has potential.

Conlon - retain (if affordable as more of a squad player)

Garrity - retain

Ojo - retain

Pett - retain

Wozza - retain - one more year

Massey - undecided - has been (at times) a decent versatility player

Tommy - retain - probably loan out

Dennis - undecided- doesn't always fit into our system. Although I do have a soft spot for Dennis and on a better pitch next season? Who knows but appreciate not as effective as last season.

Wilson - retain on a favourable contract if he'll stay on those terms.

Proctor - release

Harrison - retain

Taylor - retain

Holden - would only retain either him or Dennis but not both BUT maybe neither.

Mipo - release/send back

Butterworth - release/send back

Areas to Strengthen:

GK - First Choice, 2 CBs, LWB, 2 CM (may be a more physical/taller player in there) 1 Striker

Try and get (from the above Areas to Strengthen) a couple of players who will strengthen the first 11.

Not sure where I'm up to with total squad numbers??

ANY THOUGHTS??

23 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Not entirely sure about all of the players contracts etc. but this is what I would do with the current squad, assuming, at this point, that we are in League 1:

Cass - retain - still young - can continue to progress - probably reasonably inexpensive

Jones - release - based on the injury that he sustained at Shrewsbury - rumour 'ankle reconstruction'. (Feel we need to steer away from injury prone players)

Smith - retain 

Benning - release

Forrester - retain

Garrity - retain

Ojo - retain

Pett - retain

Dennis - undecided- doesn't always fit into our system. Although I do have a soft spot for Dennis and on a better pitch next season? Who knows but appreciate not as effective as last season.

Proctor - release

Harrison - retain

Taylor - retain

Mipo - release/send back

Areas to Strengthen:

GK - First Choice, 2 CBs, LWB, 2 CM (may be a more physical/taller player in there) 1 Striker

Try and get (from the above Areas to Strengthen) a couple of players who will strengthen the first 11.

ANY THOUGHTS??

Who is Derek?

26 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Smith - retain 

Benning - release

Forrester - retain

Garrity - retain

Ojo - retain

Pett - retain

Proctor - release

Harrison - retain

Taylor - retain

Mipo - release/send back

Areas to Strengthen:

ANY THOUGHTS??

I think a lot of this depends who actually is out of contract as we never really know anymore outside of Smith who had an option year activated. I thought Woz was out of contract last summer then it transpired there’d been an extension they never announced.

Would agree with a fair amount of that. Personally I just don’t see the value keeping Stone even as second choice and would transfer list him. Politic, Holden and also Butterworth are ok technically but none of them influence games to the degree I’d offer a new one. Derek I’d like to see him have a few games at the end of the season before any decision on him.

As for Willo his availability this season does leave you thinking the risk outweighs the reward. Let’s be honest it’s the only reason he was ever with us in the first place.

17 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Smith - retain 

Benning - release

Forrester - retain

Garrity - retain

Ojo - retain

Pett - retain

Proctor - release

Harrison - retain

Taylor - retain

Mipo - release/send back

Areas to Strengthen:

ANY THOUGHTS??

I like Dennis and he’s had his moments, no idea what his contract situation is, if we could get on a free I would do just for him to change games off the bench, other than that and depending how much he wants potentially no. 

100% holden needs releasing not remotely close to this level, strange signing. 

Stone needs to show he’s got the potential to be good enough, otherwise get rid and sign two new keepers. 

Wilson, for me is fantastic and our best player but the injuries are ridiculous now, he will be on a very good wage and have seriously struggled at times this and last season where we have had to play midfielders / Mipo & Massey up front. In that position we need our main man to play much more. For me release, I heard he’s got a deal lined up elsewhere anyway. 

Jones, I understand given the injuries but he is surely on a much lower wage, depending how bad the injury is I would look to give another year. 

All loanees I would send back, Donnelly is looking a little better now, if we can sign again on loan for a season / free as back up then that’s fine. But we need to invest and replace Hall properly. 

I wouldn't be against keeping Benning but as a back up as we would need two left back's to compete, if we got a decent first choice left back he then is a decent option to have, he isn't a terrible player by any means and could we get better than him as a back up left back easily?

Holden is a strange one, he comes on every few games, sometimes looks quite lively, other's not so. He is cheap so we are not losing much with him but I will be honest I am not terribly sure what his position is? 

Not heard the rumour on Dj's ankle but thats a blow if true as I would certainly be keeping hold of him.

Wilson is a tough one, head says let go, heart doesn't want him to go!

Archived