onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

20 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Speaking of Worrall,

Just found this video about him on Youtube

Yep, sad to say he's history now and he's gonna take some replacing. His words to the effect, "I'll be here as long as they want me" are poignant, we lost out to mighty Barrow.

Advert

5 hours ago, Emile said:

Wow. Incredibly off the mark.

We were just as good at Ipswich as we were away at Portsmouth, away or at home to Derby. Got the same result too  (edit - we actually got a point at Portsmouth)

We also werent particularly good against Bristol rovers. They were terrible, on a run nearly as bad as ours and stopped playing in the last 4 or 5 games (check their results)

I don't think we're entitled to success. Far from it. I think we had a good season overall and would have been happy to stay up if you'd have asked me this time last year. I would have been happy to loose the last 4 games, scrape into the summer and give the manager the chance to rebuild the squad. I would have preferred that we fixed the obvious problems in the squad in January but understand if money was tight it was important to cut costs and survive. We did it, and we had done it before the manager was changed. 

I'm not happy that we sacked a manager who achieved his goal at the start of the season and we've replaced him with a downgraded version. I'm not happy that the club think they can pin the poor form since January solely on the manager. It's scapegoating and rewriting history. The form of the team last season was a collective issue - coaches, manager, assistant, DOF, owners. But we pinned it on the manager, got rid and said everything is fine now. 

I can only see this ending one way and that's relegation this season. I want to be optimistic but the rewriting of history and the pathetic attempts to suggest that one of the most successful managers in recent history were making players worse (e.g. Benning) is just not helping me move on. I really do want the vale, and AC to do well this season and I hope that by the start of the season I'll be feeling more optimistic about our chances. But for me, we are weaker than we were in January and so I see it going one way. 

Rightly or wrongly the buck always stops at the manager.

I do agree we were still not great with AC but I also don’t think you can deny there was significantly more effort from the same players after DC left. The club got a reaction from the players so it worked. 

In other news….. rumours circulating Benning has accepted his contract.

4 hours ago, Vale 1971 said:

May ended now think it's got be June where things start happening .
As supporters/followers all we can hope is that players brought in are better than the ones we have got if not there's probably no reason sign them .
However the better the players the harder they going to get as they will be wantedby bigger hitters .
Unfortunately football is ruled by money so its nice see a club succeed with money being the least important thing .
That's what DC did to get us out of league 2.
Built a squad which was like the music of the musketeers
All for one and one for all .
I didn't get that was the feeling last season once Hall departed along with Walker and Charsley.
Need get back to that and quickly so any new signings cannot be money motivated if playing for a club like Vale neither should they be

Sent from my SM-A202F using onevalefan mobile app

Money is the only motivation for nearly all professionals. Most players have no attachment to our club/area. Only exceptions are when players marry a local girl or are very happy with the local schools. Quite rare these people. Can’t think of any  Vale ones, perhaps Mark Grew?, but not seen any attending Vale matches.

6 hours ago, Emile said:

Wow. Incredibly off the mark.

We were just as good at Ipswich as we were away at Portsmouth, away or at home to Derby. Got the same result too  (edit - we actually got a point at Portsmouth)

We also werent particularly good against Bristol rovers. They were terrible, on a run nearly as bad as ours and stopped playing in the last 4 or 5 games (check their results)

I don't think we're entitled to success. Far from it. I think we had a good season overall and would have been happy to stay up if you'd have asked me this time last year. I would have been happy to loose the last 4 games, scrape into the summer and give the manager the chance to rebuild the squad. I would have preferred that we fixed the obvious problems in the squad in January but understand if money was tight it was important to cut costs and survive. We did it, and we had done it before the manager was changed. 

I'm not happy that we sacked a manager who achieved his goal at the start of the season and we've replaced him with a downgraded version. I'm not happy that the club think they can pin the poor form since January solely on the manager. It's scapegoating and rewriting history. The form of the team last season was a collective issue - coaches, manager, assistant, DOF, owners. But we pinned it on the manager, got rid and said everything is fine now. 

I can only see this ending one way and that's relegation this season. I want to be optimistic but the rewriting of history and the pathetic attempts to suggest that one of the most successful managers in recent history were making players worse (e.g. Benning) is just not helping me move on. I really do want the vale, and AC to do well this season and I hope that by the start of the season I'll be feeling more optimistic about our chances. But for me, we are weaker than we were in January and so I see it going one way. 

You keep saying we will be relegated,  but you have no idea what our starting 11 will be come August,  nor other clubs similar to ourselves.   Why torment yourself all summer over something which you have no control?  Chill, enjoy the sunshine and hope for the best

30 minutes ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

You keep saying we will be relegated,  but you have no idea what our starting 11 will be come August,  nor other clubs similar to ourselves.   Why torment yourself all summer over something which you have no control?  Chill, enjoy the sunshine and hope for the best

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we aren’t relegated next season and I got slandered for thinking we would be mid table last season.

6 hours ago, philpvfc said:

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we aren’t relegated next season and I got slandered for thinking we would be mid table last season.

Pleasantly surprised if we aren't relegated? I will be absolutely gutted if we get anywhere near being relegated...

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Pleasantly surprised if we aren't relegated? I will be absolutely gutted if we get anywhere near being relegated...

I was a lot more optimistic going in to last season, and that is no reflection on AC or DC, but a very poor transfer window then an even worse transfer window mid season went a long way in ending up with us only just staying in the division. We have now lost Worrall, Wilson and Pett who were 3 of our best players, yet we have offered a contract to Benning, I won’t be surprised if we try and bring Donnelly and Taylor in to the club permanently. I have lost trust with our recruitment team and am waiting with hope to be proven wrong but in my reckoning we now need 10 decent players  to bring the squad to anywhere near a mid table team and a) I don’t think we will bring 10 players in, and b) Even if we did, the chances of our recruitment team managing that are next to zero.

I was a lot more optimistic going in to last season, and that is no reflection on AC or DC, but a very poor transfer window then an even worse transfer window mid season went a long way in ending up with us only just staying in the division. We have now lost Worrall, Wilson and Pett who were 3 of our best players, yet we have offered a contract to Benning, I won’t be surprised if we try and bring Donnelly and Taylor in to the club permanently. I have lost trust with our recruitment team and am waiting with hope to be proven wrong but in my reckoning we now need 10 decent players  to bring the squad to anywhere near a mid table team and a) I don’t think we will bring 10 players in, and b) Even if we did, the chances of our recruitment team managing that are next to zero.
Happy little chap aren't you?

17 hours ago, Phil500 said:

Money is the only motivation for nearly all professionals. Most players have no attachment to our club/area. Only exceptions are when players marry a local girl or are very happy with the local schools. Quite rare these people. Can’t think of any  Vale ones, perhaps Mark Grew?, but not seen any attending Vale matches.

Foyle. I think Dean Glover still lives locally as well.

Let's at least wait and see who we sign before making any predictions about next season.

Anyone know if Vale are still running a similar wage cap as last season or any financial incentives for players to come here.

I'm just considering is there's anything that may be a possible barrier to quality players coming here or anything that may make a player deliberate and see if a better offer comes along, I'm not after or interested in individual  players salaries etc, that's their business and not mine. 

For Professional footballers, Stoke-on-Trent and PVFC have a lot going for them but perhaps I may be a tad biased.

Just now, Paul6754 said:

Let's at least wait and see who we sign before making any predictions about next season.

Anyone know if Vale are still running a similar wage cap as last season or any financial incentives for quality players to come here.

I'm just considering is there's anything that may be a possible barrier to quality players coming here or anything that may make a player deliberate and see if a better offer comes along, I'm not after or interested in individual  players salaries etc, that's their business and not mine. 

For Professional footballers, Stoke-on-Trent and PVFC have a lot going for them but perhaps I may be a tad biased.

Archived