onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

6 minutes ago, Warren said:

Yes, you're correct. I think he was injured for what seemed several weeks in mid season. But hey that happens. I think my opinion of him and others went down at Accrington. Watching on iplayer I felt he deliberately got sent off there. I'm struggling to step down to his unwise actions got him sent off. So I'm afraid I'm letting my perceptions run a bit ahead of the facts.

6 minutes ago, Warren said:

Yes, you're correct. I think he was injured for what seemed several weeks in mid season. But hey that happens. I think my opinion of him and others went down at Accrington. Watching on iplayer I felt he deliberately got sent off there. I'm struggling to step down to his unwise actions got him sent off. So I'm afraid I'm letting my perceptions run a bit ahead of the facts.

The trouble is, you might see what happened...but maybe didn't hear if anything untoward was said to cause that kind of reaction? To me it seemed totally out of character?

Advert

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

The trouble is, you might see what happened...but maybe didn't hear if anything untoward was said to cause that kind of reaction? To me it seemed totally out of character?

Yes, I'm prepared to accept that may be the case. But we needed to win at Accrington. Weren't doing too badly until our sacked manager's bad goalie decision came home to haunt. Then they seemed to give up and finally he got sent off. So I am big time not happy with him and others. He needs to show the form that goes with the hype at his signing. Across the season he was unmemorable. 

8 minutes ago, Warren said:

Yes, I'm prepared to accept that may be the case. But we needed to win at Accrington. Weren't doing too badly until our sacked manager's bad goalie decision came home to haunt. Then they seemed to give up and finally he got sent off. So I am big time not happy with him and others. He needs to show the form that goes with the hype at his signing. Across the season he was unmemorable. 

Accrington was a disaster.. but Ojo is and should be in our starting 11

5 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Accrington was a disaster.. but Ojo is and should be in our starting 11

Guess it's a new season and I should leave the past behind. I agree his career shows he's a player that in a good L1 team would fit in and help it flow. So I guess that's where we need to get to in the transfer window. 

By the way I'm hoping we are signing players in the confidence of them playing on a much better pitch. We know our big pitch and how to shift the ball on it quickly and purposefully. 

On 26/05/2023 at 15:52, JRC said:

I agree Garrity isn't a 10 at this level. He did a good job on a front 2 at Burton to be fair but that is a different role. He surprised me with how much he improved in a more conventional midfield 2. He's never going to be Ray Walker but from October onwards his distribution was pretty decent.  He wins headers, tackles well and covers a lot of ground. Not sure which clubs he turned down to stay; although I expect bigger than Barrow.

Worrall is a loss but he's also 33 in 2 weeks. We offered him something,  he turned it down. Fairly likely we offered 12 months and probably told him we were planning to recruit in his position. I'm fairly sure he'd have stayed if we'd offered 2 years. For me the club were right to offer 12 months as there is no guarantees he has 2 years left and he was right to go to secure his family financially.  It's generally easier to recruit on the right side and there are quite a few available as good. Bigger loss is possibly his connection with the fans, professionalism and enthusiasm than his undoubted ability. Big shoes to fill but there are no lifetime marriages only love affairs in football. 

Fair points JRC but I just wish we could have kept Wozza, losing him means we've have to recruit one more quality player and it ain't easy.

As for Garrity, could he morph into a "utility player" if he isn't one already, say a defensive midfield player/anchor a la Griff  or Grant or even even a right back or RWB.

23 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Fair points JRC but I just wish we could have kept Wozza, losing him means we've have to recruit one more quality player and it ain't easy.

As for Garrity, could he morph into a "utility player" if he isn't one already, say a defensive midfield player/anchor a la Griff  or Grant or even even a right back or RWB.

He's a midfield player first and foremost at the moment,  although I suspect you are right and he could do a job at right back.

On 26/05/2023 at 23:10, Warren said:

I'd thought he'd won a couple of MotM awards, but unable to confirm that? Surprisingly, he was the second most-fouled player, behind Ellis Harrison. Not suggesting anything by that - I literally thought it was a surprising stat?

On 25/05/2023 at 18:21, Warren said:

Want a change of formation. 442, 4411, 433. Anything except what we played last season. 

I want players that can play in a variety of positions so that we can change formations and be clever that way as opposed to predictable.

I am happy with Forrester, Smith, Cass, Jones and then one experienced been there and done it kind of aging pro to help lead!

That way in last season’s systems we are looking good IF we need them (note just sticking available players in positions for now):

3-5-2:

Stone* (or new experienced pro GK)

Forrester-Smith-Jones

new RWB - Garrity - Ojo - Conlon - new LWB

Harrison - New ST

3-4-3

Stone* 

Forrester-Smith-Jones

new RWB - Garrity - Ojo - new LWB

Plant - Harrison - New LW

but if we go to a back 4 we are at least covered with a flat back four that would allow wingers to push on and stay further up (like in a 4-3-3)

Stone

Cass-Forreter-Smith-Jones

Garrity-Ojo-Conlon

Plant-Harrison-NEW LW

I’m not saying these line ups are definite and I would definitely been looking to add a lot more L1 experience and quality but it shows how you could switch between a back 3 and 4 with the right players which I do believe we have so far.

8 minutes ago, PV1993 said:

I want players that can play in a variety of positions so that we can change formations and be clever that way as opposed to predictable.

I am happy with Forrester, Smith, Cass, Jones and then one experienced been there and done it kind of aging pro to help lead!

That way in last season’s systems we are looking good IF we need them (note just sticking available players in positions for now):

3-5-2:

Stone* (or new experienced pro GK)

Forrester-Smith-Jones

new RWB - Garrity - Ojo - Conlon - new LWB

Harrison - New ST

3-4-3

Stone* 

Forrester-Smith-Jones

new RWB - Garrity - Ojo - new LWB

Plant - Harrison - New LW

but if we go to a back 4 we are at least covered with a flat back four that would allow wingers to push on and stay further up (like in a 4-3-3)

Stone

Cass-Forreter-Smith-Jones

Garrity-Ojo-Conlon

Plant-Harrison-NEW LW

I’m not saying these line ups are definite and I would definitely been looking to add a lot more L1 experience and quality but it shows how you could switch between a back 3 and 4 with the right players which I do believe we have so far.

If we went with your suggested teams then surely we've learnt absolutely nothing? 

We need minimum of 5 new starters in the first X1 if not more. 

We can't judge anything until all signings are made, but I know it's negative, if we go with 7 or more starters from last season we are in for a torrid time. 

We simply have to improve. League one standard signings are what we need. 

And I know that you are only picking what's available. 

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

If we went with your suggested teams then surely we've learnt absolutely nothing? 

We can't judge anything until all signings are made, but I know it's negative, if we go with 7 or more starters from last season we are in for a torrid time. 

Agree first team starters are needed, but for balance Forrester, Jones, Ojo, Harrison and Cass were missing for large chunks of that horrendous run.  

If they had been available I’m sure the run in would have been less stressful, which is where we need better strength in depth.

8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I agree 1810,  and it just shows how big the recruitment task is to sign that many quality even decent Lge 1 players, not made any easier by allowing one of our better players to leave in Wozza.

For me the main playing goal for next season is a mid table finish, anything better is a bonus.

26 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I agree 1810,  and it just shows how big the recruitment task is to sign that many quality even decent Lge 1 players, not made any easier by allowing one of our better players to leave in Wozza.

For me the main playing goal for next season is a mid table finish, anything better is a bonus.

Speaking of Worrall,

Just found this video about him on Youtube

Archived