onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

Advert

For all we know with Mal he might have agreed it verbally just yet to sign it officially. If it is taking its time you’d imagine we’ve offered him reduced terms so he is looking around (to be honest I wouldn’t have offered him anything based on last season). I certainly wouldn’t hang around for him once the deadline has passed though.

15 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

For all we know with Mal he might have agreed it verbally just yet to sign it officially. If it is taking its time you’d imagine we’ve offered him reduced terms so he is looking around (to be honest I wouldn’t have offered him anything based on last season). I certainly wouldn’t hang around for him once the deadline has passed though.

If you want to retain a player you don't offer reduced terms. He's done OK for us and whilst not a great player in the club's history deserves respect. I think he can continue to do a good job for us and he strives to improve. He will of course look for the best contract he can find with the most number of years. He doesn't have to sign until the expiry deadline of an offer approaches. I would imagine there are many clubs at L2 would be keen to sign him as a first choice and some clubs at L1 might see him as that or a valuable squad member who can come in and out of the team. Hope he sticks around. 

5 minutes ago, Warren said:

If you want to retain a player you don't offer reduced terms. He's done OK for us and whilst not a great player in the club's history deserves respect. I think he can continue to do a good job for us and he strives to improve. He will of course look for the best contract he can find with the most number of years. He doesn't have to sign until the expiry deadline of an offer approaches. I would imagine there are many clubs at L2 would be keen to sign him as a first choice and some clubs at L1 might see him as that or a valuable squad member who can come in and out of the team. Hope he sticks around. 

Correction, he did ok in L2 or at least during the promotion run-in but since stepping up to L1 he has been exposed badly. He's 29 now I think so this is about as good as he will ever get. I very much doubt any other L1 club would give him a second look in all honesty, L2 sure but we are not at that level any more and need better.

17 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Correction, he did ok in L2 or at least during the promotion run-in but since stepping up to L1 he has been exposed badly. He's 29 now I think so this is about as good as he will ever get. I very much doubt any other L1 club would give him a second look in all honesty, L2 sure but we are not at that level any more and need better.

I sort of agree with you. But I think another dimension to this is the formation we choose to play. If we play four at the back I think he could be a good left back. If we play with wing backs I think that is harder for him because wing backs are then an inherently important attacking part of the team. Our team looked very unbalanced down the left side of the pitch in the second half of last season. Opposition teams knew that as well. 

So yes, I'm not seeing him as a particular solution to anything, but he is a player we know who can do a job within limitations. One bonus of him is that he comes with good attitude and commitment. That goes a long way for a squad player. 

49 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I suspect that a lot of our retained players will seem different under Andy Crosby.

Hopefully they wont down football boots and will play for each other, the shirt and most importantly for the pride of the club.   😉

46 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I suspect that a lot of our retained players will seem different under Andy Crosby.

To be fair, some did perform differently under Crosby, and there was obviously some issue regarding the players in dispute with the manager, which seemed to rectify itself under Crosby. 

Garrity spoke highly of him in his interview, and Nathan Smith did the same. They are very much the type of players we should build our side around and are reflective of the manager's values. More of them and we'll be in a better position to move forward as a club.

24 minutes ago, Granville said:

To be fair, some did perform differently under Crosby, and there was obviously some issue regarding the players in dispute with the manager, which seemed to rectify itself under Crosby. 

Garrity spoke highly of him in his interview, and Nathan Smith did the same. They are very much the type of players we should build our side around and are reflective of the manager's values. More of them and we'll be in a better position to move forward as a club.

Where was this different performance? Getting walked off the park at Charlton? Beating a Bristol rovers team on as bad form as we were and were already on the beach? It's just rubbish and I really the rewriting of history. We were just as <ovf censored> in the last 4 games as we were since January if not worse. Forget it. 

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

Where was this different performance? Getting walked off the park at Charlton? Beating a Bristol rovers team on as bad form as we were and were already on the beach? It's just rubbish and I really the rewriting of history. We were just as <ovf censored> in the last 4 games as we were since January if not worse. Forget it. 

We were better at Ipswich and better against Bristol Rovers. We were poor at Charlton,  and performed well part of the game against Plymouth when we were already safe.

Let's not rewrite history that we were even worse after Darrell Clarke left.

This constant bedwetting is why we won't get anywhere. You don't know what players the club has lined up, you don't know how Crosby will perform when he's had time to put his own team together.

But let's just <ovf censored> on him because he isn't Darrell Clarke or a manager from two leagues above.

Let's criticise the club for living within their means and not splashing out money we haven't got so a section of the fanbase can sod off to another club's messageboard and brag about how big we are.

If we were ten points clear at the top of the Premier League, you, and JoeB2 and all these others who seem to think we're entitled to success just because we exist as a football club, would still find something to moan about.

If you don't like supporting a club that lives within its means and has a manager looking to prove himself, and want to win every game every week with players earning more than we can afford, then please, by all means, push off to the Etihad where you can satisfy your desire to laud it over everyone else.

22 minutes ago, Granville said:

We were better at Ipswich and better against Bristol Rovers. We were poor at Charlton,  and performed well part of the game against Plymouth when we were already safe.

This constant bedwetting is why we won't get anywhere. You don't know what players the club has lined up, you don't know how Crosby will perform when he's had time to put his own team together.

But let's just <ovf censored> on him because he isn't Darrell Clarke or a manager from two leagues above.

Let's criticise the club for living within their means and not splashing out money we haven't got so a section of the fanbase can sod off to another club's messageboard and brag about how big we are.

If we were ten points clear at the top of the Premier League, you, and JoeB2 and all these others who seem to think we're entitled to success just because we exist as a football club, would still find something to moan about.

If you don't like supporting a club that lives within its means and has a manager looking to prove himself, and want to win every game every week with players earning more than we can afford, then please, by all means, push off to the Etihad where you can satisfy your desire to laud it over everyone else.

Hear hear. 

26 minutes ago, Granville said:

Wow. Incredibly off the mark.

We were just as good at Ipswich as we were away at Portsmouth, away or at home to Derby. Got the same result too  (edit - we actually got a point at Portsmouth)

We also werent particularly good against Bristol rovers. They were terrible, on a run nearly as bad as ours and stopped playing in the last 4 or 5 games (check their results)

I don't think we're entitled to success. Far from it. I think we had a good season overall and would have been happy to stay up if you'd have asked me this time last year. I would have been happy to loose the last 4 games, scrape into the summer and give the manager the chance to rebuild the squad. I would have preferred that we fixed the obvious problems in the squad in January but understand if money was tight it was important to cut costs and survive. We did it, and we had done it before the manager was changed. 

I'm not happy that we sacked a manager who achieved his goal at the start of the season and we've replaced him with a downgraded version. I'm not happy that the club think they can pin the poor form since January solely on the manager. It's scapegoating and rewriting history. The form of the team last season was a collective issue - coaches, manager, assistant, DOF, owners. But we pinned it on the manager, got rid and said everything is fine now. 

I can only see this ending one way and that's relegation this season. I want to be optimistic but the rewriting of history and the pathetic attempts to suggest that one of the most successful managers in recent history were making players worse (e.g. Benning) is just not helping me move on. I really do want the vale, and AC to do well this season and I hope that by the start of the season I'll be feeling more optimistic about our chances. But for me, we are weaker than we were in January and so I see it going one way. 

39 minutes ago, Granville said:

Lenny is me.

Archived