onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

15 hours ago, valefan16 said:

We cant afford from a football side to be competitive and reduce the budget further or it would be a relegation battle. (If we survive this season of course!)

I agree, but it looks to me like we already started to reduce the budget (playing and behind the scenes) in this last transfer window under the guise of the diversionary “taking stock and diverting to the infrastructure” story.  As we can see it’s left us struggling a bit since January, so we need to become cleverer with that budget come the retained list and the summer window.

Advert

16 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

If we cut the budget, serious questions have to be asked where the money has gone. I refuse to believe that the current squad is anywhere near extravagant for a league 1 club or us to sustain. We are having our biggest ever attendances since 1994 which means we managed to stay at Championship level on less until the year 2000. 

The previous year was decent too with the playoff Wembley money. 

Vale park has not had that much thrown at it. Stevenage for example in league 2 have built a whole new north stand and Portsmouth have spent millions on upgrading Fratton Park.

What did we get? Bags of sand for the pitch after Robbie Williams had pranced about on it, a upgraded hospitality suite a decade overdue and a promise to move home fans to the Hamil. Anything else has been window dressing. 

Great ownership doesn’t mean rich ownership throwing money about as Carol has shown, but you can’t run a football club without the hope of success at some point. 

Good post. We can only hope that the powers that be know what they are doing? The hope of success for any team is essential to keeping and building any fan base, without this the club stagnates and dies. I would have thought that all the negative "vibes" (is that the 'in' word these days?) about the Vale since january are testament to this. We go to watch Port Vale play football and hopefully entertain us in doing so, everything else although conributory is secondary.

Good post. We can only hope that the powers that be know what they are doing? The hope of success for any team is essential to keeping and building any fan base, without this the club stagnates and dies. I would have thought that all the negative "vibes" (is that the 'in' word these days?) about the Vale since january are testament to this. We go to watch Port Vale play football and hopefully entertain us in doing so, everything else although conributory is secondary.
I think that the management and backroom team have more than proven that they know what they're doing. All being set up for a big turnover in the summer in my opinion now that they've seen the majority of players struggle to perform consistently at this level. They've done well in the whole scheme of things, in most matches, but are not the long term solution if we're to cement ourselves in the mid to top half of the table in future seasons

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

We would have been in <ovf censored> Street this season without our loan players filling in for the injured!

None of them have been a big success though. One or two have had moments here and there but nothing to write home about.

This is my list for who to stay and let go i know some are contracted for next year but ive just done it on who i want to keep and let go including players on loan

retain:

nathan smith 

Stone(maybe loan out)

robinson 2 year deal but loan out

worrall

pett

wilson if believed can stay fit 

Ojo 

harrison

forrester

massey

cass

Taylor (if we can get him)

Garrity

Dan jones (was 50/50 think he makrs to many mistakes but think hes good tk have as squad player

released:

conlon (fell off a cliff doesnt look anywhere near the level needed)

politic

mipo

butterworth (was 50/50 but not sure if hes a top end league one player)

benning

stevens

donnelly 

proctor

Holden

derek

if we were to replace all the released would mean 10 incomings over summer but id want starters coming in not squad players

Think your list is fair but there's a couple of players on the release list that are under contract.

We've got to aim to bring in first teamers who can improve the team. GK, lb, strong centre back, striker and centre mid - all first teamers and not injury prone. Then a couple of younger potential players to fill the squad out.

I'm harsher than most because football is a brutal game and you can't stagnate and tread water ( ps I'm far from suggesting we'll challenge with mass clearout)

Retain/ offer new deals .

Smith. Worrall. Forrester. Harrison. Cass. Garrity. Ojo. Garrity. Wilson ( see below) .

3 players under contract I'd like to see us let go but highly unlikely .

Conlon and Stone both poor in League one. Massey big disappointment ( although played in correct position may do himself justice )

Release all loanees and I'd let the rest out of contract players go too.

Wilson would be a Gibbo type offer with clauses though I think he'll go regardless. 

5 hours ago, Valiiant said:

None of them have been a big success though. One or two have had moments here and there but nothing to write home about.

Butterworth, Mipo and Politic have all scored goals and made some assists between them. the loans that didn't really work out were sent back. Loans are often hit and miss because they come with a reputation - Bolton look like they've dropped in  with t\3 of heirs...wonder how many didn't work out?  Stevens is a better keeper than Stone...probably being left out with a lack of confidence? The "fact" quoted about him is that he never saves anything - yet there are plenty of videos disproving that claim. 

Donnelly looks a good prospect, and I don't believe he was brought in as direct replacement for Hall - think it was an opportunistic decision, which may lead to a permanent deal?  Rory Holden was always a chancer - if he recovered from his injury, and if he rediscovered his form he would have been a good signing.  Matty Taylor is a proven scorer at this level - he will get goals for us...but...if he doesn't, it will just go to show you can't guarantee anything in football!

5 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Butterworth, Mipo and Politic have all scored goals and made some assists between them. the loans that didn't really work out were sent back. Loans are often hit and miss because they come with a reputation - Bolton look like they've dropped in  with t\3 of heirs...wonder how many didn't work out?  Stevens is a better keeper than Stone...probably being left out with a lack of confidence? The "fact" quoted about him is that he never saves anything - yet there are plenty of videos disproving that claim. 

Donnelly looks a good prospect, and I don't believe he was brought in as direct replacement for Hall - think it was an opportunistic decision, which may lead to a permanent deal?  Rory Holden was always a chancer - if he recovered from his injury, and if he rediscovered his form he would have been a good signing.  Matty Taylor is a proven scorer at this level - he will get goals for us...but...if he doesn't, it will just go to show you can't guarantee anything in football!

The loans haven’t worked. Mipo is a striker so saying he’s scored a couple really isn’t good enough. I don’t think there’s one person who can seriously say any of the loan signings have improved us in any way. Taylor may be the exception come the end of the season. Other than that every loan signing has been a failure. 

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

The loans haven’t worked. Mipo is a striker so saying he’s scored a couple really isn’t good enough. I don’t think there’s one person who can seriously say any of the loan signings have improved us in any way. Taylor may be the exception come the end of the season. Other than that every loan signing has been a failure. 

Agree with that. I’d also throw in that we also have a poor ratio of good players vs bad from the permanent lads we signed in the summer too. 

I’m letting Covolan go and not trying to sign Stevens, we need to get a decent number one though finally and Stone is adequate as a back up.

Centre backs I’m not sure, Forrester and Cass should develop still, Smith is a key player and DJ has been decent, no idea on Derek to judge and was one for future. Do need to sign a big hairy arsed 6,3 head on a stick though to give us some aerial presence.

Give Woz another year, keep Sammy for his potential, letting Mal go sadly and want two left backs, maybe someone like Greg Leigh from Ipswich.

Midfield is tricky. Pett, Ojo and Garrity worth keeping, Conlon just hasn’t stepped up so sadly letting him go and need a creative replacement.

Strikers I’m keeping Ellis and trying to keep Taylor, If Wilson is off id use his and Proctors wage to sign a decent third striker and probably a loan for the 4th

Massey I probably keep as utility, can play multiple positions.

Tin Hat on, if Politic is out of contract I’d keep him, something there with him and he does score a few

Not as keen on Butts on recent performances.

So overall release

Covolan
Benning
Conlon
Wilson
Proctor
Agakwa

Return to clubs

Butterworth
Stevens
Mipo
Donnelly

Room then for 10/11 new signings

Too early to speculate and I'm sure there's plenty of talking behind the scenes.

However it's better than all the moaning and groaning so here's my take on things.

Release both GKs(not good enough) Benning (not good enough), Proc(fitness),Holden(not fit enough)

Offer Smith,Pett, Garrity,Wozza,Wilson(pay per play), Taylor,Butters,Politic(although he'd have to have a proper position),Jones, Donnelly 

Send back Mipo(not given enough starts),Stevens

Use Tommy Mac,Plant and look at younger players.

Cass needs to improve fitness.

Conlon,Ojo and Massey huge disappointments. Robinson a headless chicken.

Big Dekka? No idea

I’m letting Covolan go and not trying to sign Stevens, we need to get a decent number one though finally and Stone is adequate as a back up.

Centre backs I’m not sure, Forrester and Cass should develop still, Smith is a key player and DJ has been decent, no idea on Derek to judge and was one for future. Do need to sign a big hairy arsed 6,3 head on a stick though to give us some aerial presence.

Give Woz another year, keep Sammy for his potential, letting Mal go sadly and want two left backs, maybe someone like Greg Leigh from Ipswich.
How do we establish whether they're hairy arsed? Will it be picked up during the medical? Or do we check for any Grindr profiles during the recruitment process?

Archived