onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I'd release 5 of the out of contract. Proctor release too he signed 1 year extension. Holden has to go and I think Derek might go too.

That's 8 .

I’d release 3 of the out of contract, agree on Holden and Derek.

Advert

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Maybe a bit premature (oh matron) but with only 14 games left, I was wondering who we might look to keep and who we might look to release at the end of the season assuming we are safe. I've got no idea who's in or out of contract, so here's my list of players I'd like us to keep on:

Stone - young, steady enough and will learn off whoever we bring in as number one. Can't imagine he's on budget breaking wages so he's a useful option to keep around.

Cass - hasn't let us down much when he's been called upon and has his best years ahead of him, assume he is still in contract as he only signed this year.

Forrester - given a prolonged run, he will become our best defender, very good player.

Smith - really hope he signs on again, a vale legend.

Jones - has his detractors, but I'd 100% be keeping him on. We don't have a player who can distribute like him.

Woz - Mr 7/10. Despite his age no reason he should be released, one of our most consistent players this season.

Robinson - as with Cass, young, best years ahead of him etc.

Ojo - the best of our summer business, hopefully he signed 2 years and he's here for another year.

Garrity - he's getting better and better the more he plays at this level. A must keep.

Pett - I'd keep him, not necessarily a starter but a good option to have when we need to kill a game.

Tommy - got a 3 year deal so hopefully he gets a run in the team.

Harrison - hasn't scored in a long while but his aerial presence and general forward play have been brilliant. Hopefully he signed at least a 2 year deal in summer.

Willo - I'm in two minds here. On the one hand, when he plays and is on it, he's brilliant. On the other he's struggled with fitness. I get the feeling this could be a gibbo style negotiating, we want you but it's reduced due to fitness. Hopefully he sticks with us.

Plant - has done well on both his loan moves and for the youth team. Deserves a pro deal.

14 first team players, 13 if you don't include plant as he's unlikely to get a run out straight away. Would give us scope to bring in 7/8 players if we wanted too.

I went into this list thinking I was going to be ruthless and we'd have few players left, but I think there is something to be for continuity, especially if we encounter the same recruitment issues we have this year.

Interested to hear what everyone else would do, going to be a very interesting summer!

Agree with most of your comments about the players but a lot will depend on wage demands. I think we need to utilise our budget better and stop loaning as many young squad fillers.We need to get more experience into our 1st 11,I fell this has been our biggest problem this season. 

From your retain list I would release

Pett - Think we need a big upgrade in this area within the squad.

Robinson -  needs to go out on loan. A player with potential but at the minute he's like a show pony.Quick feet with tricks and flicks but very very little end product and doesn't understand WB positionally. Looks very naive defending and temperamental.

Question mark over Woz. Love him but surely would have to be a reduced role and wage.Can't see a player at the end of his career doing that. His legs can't go on forever and think we've seen decline in pace this season. 

Wilson. I would love to keep if IF makes sense budge wise. Give us a X factor and when playing with better players will look even better player.

Going to be a huge summer of recruitment.DF will have to earn his money.

9 hours ago, Conrad said:

Agree about Willo, great player when fit but not fit often enough, we can’t afford his wages for a dozen games a year.I know he’s only played one game but Taylor looks an ideal replacement.

He played 40 plus games last season , so hardly a dozen games 

I’d be looking at keeping the following

Smith

Cass

Forrester

Jones

Ojo

Pett

Garrity

Worrall

Harrison

Taylor

Wilson or Proctor (As 3rd or 4th striker)

Stone as backup if on low wages

That would give us plenty of room to hopefully upgrade in several positions, with a first choice keeper, some height at centre back and central midfield, we also need to find more creative players who can create & score goals.

It would be sad to see the likes of Benning, Conlon etc leave but if we want to progress then I believe we need to look for stronger players in those positions.

Stone signed an extension start of the season right?

Hope that we keep;

Garrity

Jones

Pett

Robinson

Smith

Wilson

Woz

And sign up Taylor and Butterworth on perm deals

So to leave from the players out of contract;

Proctor, Benning plus the rest of the loans - Politic, Mipo, Stevens, Donnelly. 

If there is a way to let Massey and Holden leave that would also free up some space for additions.

Archived