Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

As far as Bolton goes, we may get better chances against a team who tries to attack us. Oldham played for a draw from the first minute, and we've always had problems recently breaking down teams like that.

Any team is beatable in this league.

Advert:

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was an encouraging performance tonight, certainly our best performance under the new manager but even after that, I am still more worried than before the game, maybe i always fear the worst but for me that was one of our easiest games left.  2 really tough games now against Bolton and Newport who seemed to have picked up again.  Barrow, Southend and Grimsby all playing teams in the bottom 8 this weekend, can't help but think one or two of them are likely to get a result.  

As already being mentioned on here, if Pope had been on the pitch tonight, we would certianly have won that match, so many crosses into the particular from Worrall in the first and never looked like scoring from them.  Guthrie whilst working hard just does not look like scoring a goal and would sooner see Cullen come on than Robinson, every time he got the ball, I feared that he was going to lose it and Oldham were going to break on us and score an undeserved winner.

3 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Got to think like a footballer / goalscorer to gamble at the back post for a tap in.

Rodney had three opportunities to do this. Never once did he even think about it for me.

On one occasion in the first half he was at the far post after Guthrie nodded it on and had his shirt yanked back but no pen of course!

59 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Anyone considered us making Oldham look tripe by defending well, controlling the middle, and creating a boatload of chances which John Rudge at his ripe old age would have stuck away with ease?

No, silly me. The opposition team exist in a vacuum. Carry on. 

They played one man up front 30 yards from anyone else.

We worked hard to stop them building play from the back i have to say.

Perhaps they had no plan b tonight.

Advert:

41 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You are almost contradicting yourself mate. 

You'd still play him despite his headers having no power and his shots not hit clearly ? 

I'm sorry dress it up however anybody wants to, working hard is a given, after all his deal is up soon .

He is absolutely tripe. The pathetic weak headers in the first half summed him up. Pope would of been close to carrying home the match ball given those chances. 

34 without a goal is an absolute embarrassing stat and Bradford actually paid money for him . 

Were we any better after he went off and Robinson came on.

Did Robinson work hard outside the box and set ant play up

Does Cullen do any of that, when he is fit that is.

Rodney Amoo Swan anyone else to try

Until Pope is fit and ready we have no one

4 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Got to think like a footballer / goalscorer to gamble at the back post for a tap in.

Rodney had three opportunities to do this. Never once did he even think about it for me.

Thats why i say he may score a great goal every so often but he has to learn to become a footballer.

If he hasnt by now , at 22 , then he may never have it in him

Yep, the likes of Robinson and Guthrie are more athletes than footballers, Thought that about Robinson when he was here under Neil Paige. 

As the game turned out tonight someone like Cullen may have sniffed something out but he wasn't even on the bench I believe.

Rodney should be talking and learning from the likes of Cullen, Popey and anyone else who can coach/help him to score "ugly goals"/tap ins but it's instinct a player is usually born with.

Just my opinion but I hoped Taylor would get on, he's got a shot on him from outside the box and ghosts into the box unmarked. 

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Who do you suggest we play in their place ? 

I'd choose the wheelie bin over Robinson, who should never play for Vale again. I bet they're some of our highest earners too, which sticks in my craw a bit.

Of all the options we have at the moment, Rodney and Swann. Top scorer and a fella who at least looks like a footballer. I know they both like to go in behind, but it's worth a try.

Advert:

30 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

On one occasion in the first half he was at the far post after Guthrie nodded it on and had his shirt yanked back but no pen of course!

I agreed with you earlier. Yes he went for that one and i wished he had shown more willing to get there when pulled back. Let the ref see the shirt pull he just stood there dissappointed. The other two crosses he made no attempt for. Just waiting for the ball to fall to feet

34 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Yes ,I spotted that shirt being pulled too.Stonewall penalty, but not for Vale again!

14 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep, the likes of Robinson and Guthrie are more athletes than footballers, Thought that about Robinson when he was here under Neil Paige. 

As the game turned out tonight someone like Cullen may have sniffed something out but he wasn't even on the bench I believe.

Rodney should be talking and learning from the likes of Cullen, Popey and anyone else who can coach/help him to score "ugly goals"/tap ins but it's instinct a player is usually born with.

Just my opinion but I hoped Taylor would get on, he's got a shot on him from outside the box and ghosts into the box unmarked. 

Rodney needs to learn to be a footballer. Its not just about hitting 30 yard screamers or head down and run through a brick wall. Not sure if he is capable of that.

Cullen has been there to tap a few goals in and yes maybe tonight last 20 mins he could have done so.

If we could only pick the poor players and play them when they were due to have their good 1 in 10 game

14 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Rodney needs to learn to be a footballer. Its not just about hitting 30 yard screamers or head down and run through a brick wall. Not sure if he is capable of that.

Cullen has been there to tap a few goals in and yes maybe tonight last 20 mins he could have done so.

If we could only pick the poor players and play them when they were due to have their good 1 in 10 game

Yes, but then we'd think that they were good.  We'd play them in the next game and then they'd be bad.  You really can't win.

Played a good game enjoyed it to not score was a travesty should have by a very big margin .

Worrall was top notch and I enjoyed his link up play with the excellent Mills it should have resulted in many goals .

12 games left play like them in all of them and score stay up easily .

Miss them chances and not gamble to score go down .

Cannot list all chances but anyone who has watched the game will wonder what the hell you have to do to score .

Well played Vale more like a team tonight for long time ,if we send Pope out and Worrall and Mills combine to the quality they have tonight we thrash Bolton and Newport make sure that's the case .

UTV 

Advert:

Much more endeavour tonight in the sense of having more of the ball, more effort, but all it did for me was heighten the fact that our forward line is absolutely dross - Guthrie, Robinson, swan to a degree... but at least the lad has scored.

Other than the Conlan shot at the very end, I can’t remember their keeper making a decent save?

Shocking really!

Best performance since October just a Shame we haven't got a striker, wozza must have put in 6 top quality crosses that were begging to be finished. Conlon was so unlucky when he hit the post the keeper was rooted to the spot. Can we play like this 3 times in a week ? Considering Clarke saying players aren't fit enough

Archived