• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Ive been very critical of the dross that Vale have served up recently, but I really appreciated the effort tonight.The Vale really deserved to batter a team with one of the best away records in the league.Lets not forget that.Vale made them look a very poor outfit at times.The high tempo was welcome and with a bit of luck it could easily have been 4 -1.Im certainly not a happy clapper but give credit where it is due.Where has this commitment been since November 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Advert:

Ok I'll bite.
20 odd chances created far far more than recently.
Restricted a very good Oldham away team ( Look at the record ) to 2 half chances.
Worrall back
Amoo and Manny getting on the pitch.
An obvious increase in effort and desire.
We don't have a devine right to score just as Klopp is finding out.
If we had ambled round like we did against Kings Lynn and others then I would agree but we didn't.

Nice one Mario , saying what 99.9 % of fans thinking

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'm trying to word a post in which, despite accepting his profligacy was laughably poor, I defend Guthrie's overall contributions to our excellent creativity tonight, and suggest a goal is imminent.

I'll get dogs abuse though, so I won't bother.

Sorry Joe. I thought that was about as bad as a performance I have seen from a 'striker'. I really dont think Guthrie is up to being a footballer. 0 in his last 34 games. Shouldnt be near the side

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Anyone surely? I think Rodney and Swan with Worrall and Amoo out wide. Rodney needs to improve though. What has happened with Cullen? I know he's not great but he was alright last season and generally ok in front of goal at home. One thing is for sure, Guthrie & Robinson would be last and 2nd last choice no matter who the other options are.

So we only have Cullen left to try and fit in DC has tried all permutations

Advert:

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Sorry Joe. I thought that as about as bad as a performance I have seen from a 'striker'. I really dont think Guthrie is up to being a footballer. 0 in his last 34 games. Shouldnt be near the side

I never posted the post so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Don't know what to think. 

I'm a believer in you make your own luck, where was the desire to gamble, get in front of a man, anticipation of a possible cross , it was almost like we are waiting for luck instead of making something happen.

I actually feel a little deflated, not with the performance but more the fact if we can't beat that utter tripe who can we beat. 

Finally what has happened to Conlon ? He's become a shadow of the player we were watching. 

Worrall man of the match by a country mile

Why do people have the need to call other posters stoke fans just because they have different opinions? So childish 
Considering we're 21st and haven't won a game since January , fans are gonna be frustrated and pessimistic after another frustrating game. 

Just struggle to see the logic of some, if they are actually real supporters of the club ..I will put it down to not actually having a clue about football instead.

Just now, dazzerjames said:

They would be bottom if the worst and have one of the better away records in the league .. and we battered them

Come on man, wake up. Did they look a good side to you? They looked like a side that had sacked their manager and hadn’t done much prep for the game. They played out from the back time and time and time again and always ran into trouble yet we still didn’t have it in us to capitalise. Does that look like a side capable of scoring against Bolton??? Because I seriously doubt we’ll keep a clean sheet against Doyle.

Advert:

Cant believe people aren’t seeing that Conlon is clearly being ask to sit back more. He rarely gave the ball away during the game and had a couple of decent efforts on goal. He’s just playing a different role to that which he did earlier in the season. 

Anyone considered us making Oldham look tripe by defending well, controlling the middle, and creating a boatload of chances which John Rudge at his ripe old age would have stuck away with ease?

No, silly me. The opposition team exist in a vacuum. Carry on. 

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

I'm a believer in you make your own luck, where was the desire to gamble, get in front of a man, anticipation of a possible cross , it was almost like we are waiting for luck instead of making something happen.

I felt a bit like that towards the end. Some classic Askeyball creeped into our play where there was a lot of nervously passing the buck by way of heading it back across goal or trying a flick on. Hit it yourself donkey, it's the 97th minute, you're in the fcking penalty area in space and we need a winner.

They were awful , and we were better . Just like we are better than Grimsby , Southend and Colchester . No I think we will lose on Saturday , but we will beat some teams in and around us with performances like that to stay up

Get this season gone ! Trust me in as frustrated as you are ... dog won’t even look at me

Advert:

Before tonight Oldham’s away record was won 7, drawn 4, lost 4. And Keith Curle has never lost as a manger at Vale Park. I’m astonished we got a point!
Past form doesn't come into it tonight though. They were awful and we weren't good enough to bury them and get the 3 points that may have ensured we get to safety.

I have maintained throughout this that we have enough points to not go down but the more opportunities we miss to gain points the more concerned I become.

In January we were saying the squad was too good for mid table and we needed to change the manager after an abysmal run. Now we are looking at the teams below us with a very squeaky bottom.

1 minute ago, Doha said:

I felt a bit like that towards the end. Some classic Askeyball creeped into our play where there was a lot of nervously passing the buck by way of heading it back across goal or trying a flick on. Hit it yourself donkey, it's the 97th minute, you're in the fcking penalty area in space and we need a winner.

Yeah. For all our possession, chance creation dried up as the game wore on and it became more a case of putting hopeful balls into the mixer and hoping the second ball dropped to a white shirt.

Archived