Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

Brown

New RB, Legge, Smith, Crookes

Manny, Joyce, Conlon

New LW, New Striker, Worrall

(assuming Askey sticks with his trusted and successfull 433)

This is assuming Manny resigns, Crooks signs and Clarke doesn't. I don't know if Legge automatically starts, or if he'll even be here.

I personally feel Pope will be used rotationally next year.

That starting 11 leaves us with the likes of Pope, Ryan Lloyd (should he sign), Campbell-Gordon, Montano, Whitfield, Miller, Gibbons, Rawlinson, and Trickett Smith, although I don't know how many of that last 6 will feature in Askey's plans, or even be at the club come August.

Underlines the job on the club's hands. We need half a starting line up and to shift a lot of unwanted players. This is a 4th summer of overhaul on the bounce.

Imperative now is that players of the right age and attitude are signed. The mentality at the club has been shambolic for years. I would sacrifice a more talented player if it meant getting a more dependable individual, and it seems Askey feels a similar way.

Brown

New RB, Legge, Smith, Crookes

Manny, Joyce, Conlon

New LW, New Striker, Worrall

(assuming Askey sticks with his trusted and successfull 433)

This is assuming Manny resigns, Crooks signs and Clarke doesn't. I don't know if Legge automatically starts, or if he'll even be here.

I personally feel Pope will be used rotationally next year.

That starting 11 leaves us with the likes of Pope, Ryan Lloyd (should he sign), Campbell-Gordon, Montano, Whitfield, Miller, Gibbons, Rawlinson, and Trickett Smith, although I don't know how many of that last 6 will feature in Askey's plans, or even be at the club come August.

Underlines the job on the club's hands. We need half a starting line up and to shift a lot of unwanted players. This is a 4th summer of overhaul on the bounce.

Imperative now is that players of the right age and attitude are signed. The mentality at the club has been shambolic for years. I would sacrifice a more talented player if it meant getting a more dependable individual, and it seems Askey feels a similar way.

Don't mean to be picky. good post.

But you say we need half a new starting line up yet have 8 of the 11 places filled?

I'd like to agree with maybe 5 or 6 of your choices.

Crookes and Conlon , it's a no from me.

Looking at the squad and considering whether they would be a 1st teamer or squad player:

Brown = 1st team

Gibbons = Squad

Montano = Squad

Joyce = Squad

Legge = Squad (if he stays)

Worrall = 1st team

Oyeleke = 1st team (if he stays)

Pope = Squad

Miller = Will probably go

Hornby = Squad if he stays

Rawlinson = Will probably go

Smith = 1st team

Conlon = 1st team

Whitfield = Squad

Campbell-Gordon = Probably out on loan

Trickett-Smith = Probably out on loan

With Askey's favoured 4-3-3 system I'd say we're looking at 2 x GK, 2 x RB, 2 x LB, 4 x CB, 5 x CM, 2 x RW, 2 x LW, 3 x ST for a squad of 22.

---------Brown-----------

--RB---Smith----CB---LB--

---CM--Oyeleke--Conlon---

----Worrall---ST---LW----

GK: Brown + Hornby

RB: Gibbons + 1 more

LB: 2 new signings

CB: Smith, Legge + 2 more

CM: Oyeleke, Conlon, Joyce + 2 more

RW: Worrall + 1 more

LW: Montano + 1 more

ST: Pope + 2 more

1st team wise we need a RB, CB, LB, CM, ST, LW.

Backup signings we need are LB, CB, CM, RW, ST, LW.

I reckon we're looking at about 12 signings this summer!

Urge all to watch this from 7 minutes onwards:

Some good quotes:

"Some people gamble the future of their club for accelerated success. That isn't what we're going to do"

"Being ambitious, but balancing that with keeping the club sustainable and safe"

"I'd rather take things step by step. There's no point going what we've (The Shanahans) have been through and then blowing the whole thing up".

This is a process. Things aren't going to be perfect, or even excellent, year 1. As long as there is a coherent strategy, stability, and year on year improvement, I'm happy. Askey, Garlick, and Carol and Kevin are all very measured, grounded, realistic people free from the bluster and over promises we've become accustomed to. I just hope the Vale fans can share the same patience, and back them with investment where we can.

Archived