onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

The other very interesting comment from last night concerned the role of Sir John Rudge.

Clearly he is not heavily involved in any transfer dealings. Aspin and his two coaches are the ones who look after that.

Rudge offers advice if asked but doesn't appear to be much involved in transfers any more.

So what does he do then other than appease Old vale fans by being involved to make it look like Smurf is doing the right thing.

Advert

So what does he do then other than appease Old vale fans by being involved to make it look like Smurf is doing the right thing.

I wouldn't expect much involvement as I understand he apparently is not getting paid.

Hes there at training in the week and whilst he doesn't get involved in the actual training routines he does speak to players individually to offer his help, advice and tips. Someone like that around the ground and players, whos been there and done it is a good thing IMO.

He has also been to games with Aspin watching players, so whilst he might not have a say in who they are buying I think he still says what he thinks of players they go and see.

I'd take what Aspin said with a pinch of salt. He seemed to be saying it more by way of taking responsibility for the signings, to my ears anyway.

Of course he is responsible for the signings, he is the manager,

He may be offered advice by JR, but it is still up to him whether he takes it or not. Do you expect him to blame JR if a signing doesn't work out.

Good luck to Ryan, he was thrown in at the deep end at Vale and it didn't help him or us.

I agree to a point, despite the Crewe game which was poor admittedly and he'll probably get his leg pulled for ever and a day about it I didn't think he was that bad for us generally. Inexperienced of course but I thought there was some potential there. I think he was also a victim of circumstance in that Lainton and Hornby having 2 year deals probably cost him as we were always going to keep 1 of them and bring in a new experienced keeper. The Crewe game probably just signed and sealed the fact he was going to get released.

I wish him well though and glad he's got a club at a half decent level still.:yes:

I'm not sure he was necessarily thrown in at the deep end because he was a back up keeper and there was always the possibility of him getting a run of games if the number 1 was suspended or injured. At some point he had to play regular games in his career, whether that was for us or on loan somewhere. Eventually players have to be given the chance and I suppose they either sink or swim.

Would have taken AJ here for a season. He would have been good cover up front. I wonder if he was the forward we were after.

Had far and away his best season for goals with us. Technically very good but he's a player you need to set your team to play a certain way to get the best from him. If he had pace he'd have gone on to be a higher level player but he's very slow for a player with his height and build.

I'm not sure he was necessarily thrown in at the deep end because he was a back up keeper and there was always the possibility of him getting a run of games if the number 1 was suspended or injured. At some point he had to play regular games in his career, whether that was for us or on loan somewhere. Eventually players have to be given the chance and I suppose they either sink or swim.

He’s nearly 24 and older than hornby. I wonder how old he needs to be before some people stop saying he was thrown in at the deep end.

He’s nearly 24 and older than hornby. I wonder how old he needs to be before some people stop saying he was thrown in at the deep end.

Tend to agree, if he's to have a career it's better he drops a league or two and gets regular games. Staying as 3rd choice wouldn't have done him any good.

Archived