onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Said so much in another thread. Looking at the squad we have and apart from Worrall we don't really have a natural winger (I realise thats what Monty is supposed to be), but 3-4-3 or whatever we play with wing backs puts big pressure on the wing backs to be creative.

At times last season I thought we saw some joy from Denton and Gibbons as wingbacks, but based on what they've done in pre-season we've had Gibbons and Hannant pushing high on to the opposition full backs when we have the ball, that for me kills them because they're either expected to get a ball over the top or do something when it comes in to feet. I don't think thats there game. In Gibbons case hes still learning as a right back, hes going to be up and down in consistency, let alone giving him the pressure of becoming virtually a winger as well. That to me says a lot about the deficiencies in the squad and the performances of our more exeperienced players when we are heaping expectation on to an inexperienced player like him to be a creative force in the side.

I think the fullbacks we have (Montano and Gibbons) are better coming on to the ball from a deeper position and overlapping.

But if we play with wingbacks how do we fit Pope, Miller, Dodds, Montano, Hanant and Worrall in to the side? In one of the pre-season game we saw Worrall go right wing back. I think maybe they've considered him for that role, but he isn't as good on the defensive side of the game. Aspin clearly likes Hannant and Monty, but to put Hannant left wing back with Monty in a back 3 is a gamble.

It's not just a gamble, it's completely unnecessary.

Advert

I would suggest looking at them narrowing the pitch slightly Aspo isnt looking at using wingers this year. In which case he likely to play with the back 5, 3 CBs Smith, Rawlinson and Legge and 2 wing backs Monty and Gibbons. Id say the midfield 3 will be 1 holding and 2 playing forward of that meaning Hannant/ Conlon, Worrall/Oye (depending on who we are playing) and Joyce holding are likely to start with Dodds and Kay back up on the bench. Miller playing off Pope up front.

I personally think the issues defensively have been be caused by the number of games played meaning the unit has been changed at the back so much theres been no consistency in personnel . Very strange preseason with a lot of games shoe horned into the schedule and a trip to ireland.

Brown

Rawlinson Legge Smith

Gibbons Monty

Joyce

Worrall Hannant

Miller

Pope

Said on a previous thread we need 30 goals from Pope and Miller

With this team i think we need 40 goals from Pope and Miller just to remain in the division

No goals whatsoever from anyone else here.

Without creativity, a wide player and goalscorers in midfield we are going to struggle

That was why I would stick Dodds in that team - precisely because he offers us far more as an attacking threat than Joyce, Worrall, Oyeleke or Hannant. None of them are goalscorers and never have been in their entire careers. Dodds would give us 6-8 goals(maybe more with luck)and set up just as many. Regardless of his other qualities he does at least have an eye for goal.

This was a huge problem for us last year and the year before. We just have to hope that 1-2 defenders like Legge and Rawlinson can chip in, plus Dodds as a number ten grab 6-8.

But it is a concern. I agree with you fully. And it's no good wishfully thinking that so and so should get goals when they never have done in the past. Worrall, Oyeleke & Joyce average about 2-3 a season and Hannant got 1 last year here, so we have to have someone like Dodds in the team. That would at least give us three players theoretically who could get into double figures. I haven't seen any friendly games but perhaps Kanu off the bench has something to prove and can make a contribution as well.

As stated on another thread, my eleven would be:-

Brown

Gibbo, Vassell, Smithy, Rawlinson, Monty

Worrall, Manny, Hannant

Popey, Miller

I do think Aspo will go with Legge, but for all his experience I have been more impressed with Vassell and he has that important ingredient.... Pace. With Smith & Rawlinson attacking the ball, Vassell's pace allows him to get around the back. I am yet to see him beaten for pace.

I am not sure we have seen the best of Joyce and on showings so far Manny has got to be the holding player. Can we afford Joyce aswell. With Worrall / Gibbo on the right and Hannant / Monty on the left we must have more attacking threat. I feel they have more pace to back Popey & Miller than having two holding players at home.

Wolves managed it very easily the other night by pushing 4 players up, so if teams can nullify our full backs and wingers then I don’t see where our threat is coming from down the middle, other than hoping we can play off Pope. Which is why I think Dodds can be another option playing off the forward.

With this team i think we need 40 goals from Pope and Miller just to remain in the division

Without creativity, a wide player and goalscorers in midfield we are going to struggle

Totally agree if we avoid relegation again I will be happy.

You are right on the numbers

x 29 Current squad

x 8 Look like not being required / used this season

x 6 Untried at league 2 level

Leaves x 15 which includes Pugh , Tongue , Kay ,

and also includes - Gibbons , Smith ,

All of which would need to improve over last season

Bulk of the money spent improving the ' spine ' of the team

Brown

Legge

Joyce

Millar

I believe they have cost a fair bit and if they prove themselves we will

be safe from the drop

Pope , Worrall , must also be on top form

The rest of the squad really looks like a poor mans budget being spent.

Plenty of gambles, some look like failing even before a ball is kicked.

Pope and Miller have to score x 30 goals between them to keep us safe.

I don't see many goals at all from the rest.

Louis Dodds ? Play him wide in a 4 4 2 and we might aswell forget him.

We will play Pope and Miller so its 3 5 2 and attack or 4 4 2 and suffer

3 5 2 the brings the wing backs into play more and again Gibbons is a no

for me, but who else is there ?

Massive season and massive gambles forced on Aspin I believe

I certainly don't see it as a big budget.

I do see it as Aspin has spent wisely in the right positions and I just

hope his choice of players is correct

Explain how has any thing been forced on Aspin.

How has he spent wisely he has back tracked on one signing already.

Aspin is not a league manager. I just hope we get rid before he finds his own level at Port Vale.

Seriously?

We scored 49 goals last season (A season which started with Michael Brown in charge for 10-11 games) and Pope scored 17.

If Pope and Miller score 40 between them we will go up.

Promoted teams will normally score 75-90 goals.

I can't see anyway on god's earth that we'll score that many next season, much as I hope that I'm wrong.

From memory, when we went up under Adams I think we scored about 86 goals and had SIX players who scored 7 or more league goals.

Potentially we have 3 in the squad - Pope, Dodds and hopefully Miller - who might get double figures but after that I'm scratching my head.

I tend to agree with SL that ideally we could do with another scorer in midfield and a winger like Myrie-Williams.

I'm not having a go at Aspin. He can't sign an entirely new team of quality players with his budget. But we are still short in several areas.

Let's hope they provide us with a pleasant surprise but without that creativity, pace and movement we might well resort to long ball football and get found out by the better teams. Hopefully not.

Still don’t think we’ve got anywhere near enough variation. We look like we’re going to be extremely one dimensional. A lot of pressure on pope and miller to bag goals as others have said. Worrall and Hannant will need to chip in, but we’re seriously lacking some pace in the side. No wingers either just seems a bit of the same to me. Hope I’m wrong but I think we’re missing 1/2 pacey players to make us a decent side rather than one that’s just going to be hard to beat.

The longer our pre-season has gone on, the more annoyed I've been at our transfer dealings this summer.

We have had the following cash coming into the club:

£250,000 - Jak Alnwick sale

£100,000 - Antony Grant sale

£250,000 - Five lots of £50,000 exclusivity fees paid

£1,800,000 - Three instalments of £600,000 for Hugill

If we just take the first £600,000 instalment for Hugill plus the rest, that is £1.2m. Total is £2.4m!

Looking at a couple of signings from other clubs in L2 that caught my eye:

Enzio Boldewijn - Crawley to Notts County £100,000 - 25yo pacey winger with 10 goals and 7 assists in L2 last season.

Otis Khan - Yeovil to Mansfield £100,000 - 21yo pacey winger with 10 goals and 10 assists in L2 last season.

Both players are standout players from 'smaller' clubs (in terms of attendances/history etc). The fees would be less than 20% of the money we have received right now and would considerably improve our squad. I'd argue that both of them would push us close to the playoffs - imagin those two supplying the ammunition for Pope and Miller! It would have sent out a message to the rest of the league and more importantly, got the fans back onside and given us some hope! Both could potentially have resale value too. There would be other players in this league that similar fees would be able to buy.

Instead, we've mainly signed non league players! That money we received should be making us competitive for the next 5+ years instead of scraping around the bargain basement bucket.

Seriously?

We scored 49 goals last season (A season which started with Michael Brown in charge for 10-11 games) and Pope scored 17.

If Pope and Miller score 40 between them we will go up.

49 goals is a relegation total [ see last season ]

Pope and a.n. other scored 25 last season

I suppose I am labouring the point that I cannot see an increase in goals from around the team. It has to come from Pope and Millar.

A similar total to last season and we will struggle

maybe we need 30+ from Pope and Miller to be sure of safety ?

Explain how has any thing been forced on Aspin.

How has he spent wisely he has back tracked on one signing already.

Aspin is not a league manager. I just hope we get rid before he finds his own level at Port Vale.

I believe he has spent wisely by using the majority of the budget, the BIG signings, in the right positions.

I hope that the players he signed are the right players ?

I would sooner spend money on these positions than say a right back

Aspin will find his own level this season. I hope he is correct with his judgements.

I do believe that the budget will dictate how well Aspin does.

I don't see a competitive budget given to him.

Yes we all know the argument ' Accrington and Burton ' good luck to them

It doesn't happen every time and they are acceptions

Time will tell for both Aspin and Smurf

Unfortunately it will also tell for Port Vale F.C. and all of us fans !!!

I believe he has spent wisely by using the majority of the budget, the BIG signings, in the right positions.

I hope that the players he signed are the right players ?

I would sooner spend money on these positions than say a right back

Aspin will find his own level this season. I hope he is correct with his judgements.

I do believe that the budget will dictate how well Aspin does.

I don't see a competitive budget given to him.

Yes we all know the argument ' Accrington and Burton ' good luck to them

It doesn't happen every time and they are acceptions

Time will tell for both Aspin and Smurf

Unfortunately it will also tell for Port Vale F.C. and all of us fans !!!

The good thing for Aspin is that the emergence of Montano as a left back and Gibbons has meant he hasn't had to spend big in those 2 areas (like we did last year with Wilson).

Question is if the budget has really allowed him to spend big in the right areas, and I think Joyce, Brown, Miller and Legg are the big signings on the budget in key areas of the pitch. We desperately need those (especially Miller) to work out.

Archived