onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Squad is shaping up nicely for me. If as Aspin says he wants to play 3 at the back, I do feel another centre back is needed (I don’t believe Monty is the answer). Vassell could prove key in providing cover across the back 3 and both wing back positions, but another option is needed.

Bar a young keeper as 3rd choice I don’t think we are too far away. I don’t know why we let Slinn go but in Aspin we must trust.

I think 3 keepers at this level is a luxury we can’t afford, much better to use the wage on an outfield player who is going to be involved in the squad.

After all how often do you see 2 keepers out injured( unless 1 is Lainton)

Advert

Having thought a little about 3 at the back it's a little different to just playing 3 centrebacks. If you play 3 traditional centrehalves you will end up being too narrow in defence and the wingback will end up playing as fullbacks, so by default you end up with 5 at the back and losing the extra bodies in midfield. The ideal type of players for 2 of the 3 defenders are Aspin or Walsh, equally capable as traditional centrehalves or fullbacks. You also need a little more speed than just traditional stoppers somewhere because someone needs to be able to sweep behind the central of the 3 when they get one on one with a forward. I think I get why he's looking at Montano in that role. In terms of marking a Pope type centreforward he'd be pretty useless, but that would really be the job for Legge in a back 3. Whether Montano can do the role I've no real idea.

We currently have 21 players (22 if you include Conlon). Nowhere near the size of last seasons squad.

The last few years have been ridicolous! Like we were trying to start en NFL franchise, with all those players... now we are back to a decent sized squad, with quality over quantity.

Can’t wait for it to be August 4th, to see the team in real action!

Although preseason means nothing of course, Cambridge United have scored 28 goals so far in theirs. How many have we scored?

Yes RZ my concern also , think goalkeeping ,defence and midfield will be stronger than last season its upfront that still worries me. I suppose Miller was my big hope playing alongside Pope. Yes we knew he was a gamble but lets be honest that's what we are resigned to . A proven , quality striker like the one who left Chesterfield was always going to pick Notts County over us. I hoped he would have shone in the friendlies . As it is its fingers crossed for his FA hearing on Wednesday.

It's been a very frustrating problem for us, not having Miller available.

And most of the others (Dodds apart) haven't been finding the net. Kanu & Daniels? Quigley has started more games but not scored, has he?

I wonder in the circumstances if there's still an outside chance of getting Walters since the Cobblers now have a tasty looking partnership of Williams and Morais up front. He'd be very welcome but I guess it's a very long shot.

I believe we are also chasing Howkins (who has fitness problems) and he too would be a great asset because he's a bit quicker and classier than what we've got.

Only thinking aloud. I don't know anything.

But scoring goals does look like it could be difficult again. We all hope 100% that Miller can grab a few for us but missing nearly all pre-season isn't a good omen and he can't be anywhere near match fit yet. We've got to hope that Wednesday brings us good news because if not the cupboard looks rather bare. That said, if we kicked off with Pope & Dodds it's quite decent at this level.

Archived