onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Still don’t think we’ve got anywhere near enough variation. We look like we’re going to be extremely one dimensional. A lot of pressure on pope and miller to bag goals as others have said. Worrall and Hannant will need to chip in, but we’re seriously lacking some pace in the side. No wingers either just seems a bit of the same to me. Hope I’m wrong but I think we’re missing 1/2 pacey players to make us a decent side rather than one that’s just going to be hard to beat.

Worrall and Hannant will probable play every game next season, injuries not coming their way, but can they score goals ?

Worrall played almost all of last season and scored 4 I think.

Yes in a poor team but he is not a goal scorer.

Maybe o.k. to tap a few in in scrambles when in a good team and on top of the game.

Creating chances from wide doesn't always seem to be in his game.

He rarely takes on his man out wide and reverts to the cross into the box from

20 yards from the touchline

Hannant, deserves his place after last season.

100% effort and always available but goal scoring ! don't see this in him at all

His final ball to create chances was not there often enough either

This is my concern. Two players who deserve their place after last season but

I just don't see goals from them and not enough creativity

Add to these Joyce [ 2 goals a season many ] and a.n. other and our entire midfield could produce total of 15+ goals.

Add 3 from full backs and 5 from center backs and we have Pope and Miller for the rest, possibly 30 for safety and 45 for play offs

No pressure Tom, get ya finger out. We need you

Pope and Miller need to find the rest

Advert

The good thing for Aspin is that the emergence of Montano as a left back and Gibbons has meant he hasn't had to spend big in those 2 areas (like we did last year with Wilson).

Question is if the budget has really allowed him to spend big in the right areas, and I think Joyce, Brown, Miller and Legg are the big signings on the budget in key areas of the pitch. We desperately need those (especially Miller) to work out.

We are putting a lot of faith in Gibbons

Second half of last season he was lucky to keep his place when he did.

Montano certainly looked a better prospect.

He looks more interesting because he makes the forward runs and excites people.

You have to defend for the majority of the game and I hope he is learning

this with every passing week

I agree that money spent down the middle was the priority.

We cannot replace every player in pre season.

The ones remaining now have to step up for me.

This includes Smith too. He has to show this season if he is a good player or not.

We are putting a lot of faith in Gibbons

Second half of last season he was lucky to keep his place when he did.

Montano certainly looked a better prospect.

He looks more interesting because he makes the forward runs and excites people.

You have to defend for the majority of the game and I hope he is learning

this with every passing week

I agree that money spent down the middle was the priority.

We cannot replace every player in pre season.

The ones remaining now have to step up for me.

This includes Smith too. He has to show this season if he is a good player or not.

To be fair there Montanos got 6 or 7 years in league experience on someone like Gibbons. There lies one of the problems we find ourselves in, experienced players not stepping up and we ended up relying on a 19 year old full back with no league experience who is naturally going to be up and down in consistency as he finds his feet. We'll probably see that again this year from him.

The centre halfs have got to chip in with more goals too. Smiths had 2 full seasons now and is one of those we rely on. Rawlinson looks a threat from setpieces. We need more from Hannant and Worrall, not just in terms of more goals but more quality in the final third. Based on the preseason games Joyce looks like a player who will just sit in, so I don't expect many from him. Not sure what Oyeleke is going to offer us yet as we've not seen enough of him.

Interesting points and a lot of sense to me.

I too remain to be fully convinced by Gibbons who for a couple of months last year was very poor at right back. He's young, I see that, and was playing in a poor team and not getting a lot of help from the lad in front of him (normally the lightweight Worrall) but he has to be stronger and better.

It's not political to criticise the local lads but Smith too was half the player he was when he first appeared in League One. He got physically manhandled by one or two big bully boy centre forwards and does lack a bit of pace. Those two definitely need to step up and prove their credentials.

Three out of our possible back four played a lot last year - and look how many daft sloppy goals we conceded and where we finished in the Table.

I haven't see any friendly games but we at least now have Vassell and Rawlinson and Legge to add to the mix and I suppose it's not impossible from what I hear to see Rawlinson in the starting XI.

You do indeed have to defend and find Row Z. Howkins was by miles our best defender at the end of last year and I'd drive him here myself if asked!

We still haven't replaced Gunning - a bit industrial at times but got stuck in and wouldn't be manhandled off the ball. These are the kind of defenders we need - strong, tough, committed, no nonsense types - like Aspin was.

Just to add - in terms of goals - I've always subscribed to the view that goalscorers are born not coached and we simply don't have enough of them in the squad. We've got about 6-7 midfield players on our books and only Dodds appears to have the ability to score 8-10 goals with a fair wind behind him. All the other six average about 2-3 a season in their entire careers, so it isn't going to happen.

Not having seem any of the new lads it's hard for me to judge but I wonder if a lad like Kanu could be a big asset for us, coming off the bench after an hour, against a tiring defence. He seems to have done ok in the "reserves" in pre-season and from what I can gather is quite fast and direct. A Rob Taylor type perhaps?

I think we saw a lot of young players go through good and bad spells in the side throughout the season. Whitfield, Harness, Smith, Denton, Boot, Gibbons, Anderson, Turner and I can totally understand that from them all. More than that though the frustrating thing is the supposed better experienced players (Pope aside) weren't helping them out and seeing us through matches by stepping up to the plate. In the end I thought some of our younger players came out of the season with more credit than the older ones. We saw Gibbons have a dip after Christmas and I think suffer more going forwards in his decisions on the ball. Sensible management would have seen him rested completely for a few games, but with no real back up what can we do? But in general I don’t think we helped ourselves too much with the constant defensive changes every game when someone had a bad game and it changed too often for my liking. Even then we didn't have many good options. Even Howkins came in and looked very shaky his first few games and came good as the season progressed. Maybe the squad was a bit unbalanced in terms of experience and inexperience in the starting line ups? There were a lot of issues for Aspin to address and even now it will take longer than this one summer to sort it out.

I think we saw a lot of young players go through good and bad spells in the side throughout the season. Whitfield, Harness, Smith, Denton, Boot, Gibbons, Anderson, Turner and I can totally understand that from them all. More than that though the frustrating thing is the supposed better experienced players (Pope aside) weren't helping them out and seeing us through matches by stepping up to the plate. In the end I thought some of our younger players came out of the season with more credit than the older ones. We saw Gibbons have a dip after Christmas and I think suffer more going forwards in his decisions on the ball. Sensible management would have seen him rested completely for a few games, but with no real back up what can we do? But in general I don’t think we helped ourselves too much with the constant defensive changes every game when someone had a bad game and it changed too often for my liking. Even then we didn't have many good options. Even Howkins came in and looked very shaky his first few games and came good as the season progressed. Maybe the squad was a bit unbalanced in terms of experience and inexperience in the starting line ups? There were a lot of issues for Aspin to address and even now it will take longer than this one summer to sort it out.

I think one thing we lacked last year was characters to help the younger players through on the pitch. We had a lot of young lads needing a pick up or talking through a bad spell by an experienced head but everywhere you looked it was young lads. This year it looks a better mix of experience across the team and i think lads like Smith will benefit from Legge and Joyce being in those central areas same for Gibbons.

Agree with the last few posts. I guess we're hoping one of Kanu and Quigley can weigh in with a few goals a little like Williamson did the year we went up for example. Pope, Hughes and Williamson got roughly 50 between them that season. Pope, Miller and the aforementioned would have to do similar again which perhaps isn't beyond the realms with a fair wind? The problem(with this current side) as mentioned is can we honestly see the midfield getting 15-20 goals, didn't JMW get 12 or so from the wing that season and Vincent 6 or 7?

All that said I'm not particularly expecting playoffs or going up. I'd probably take 10-12th as a relative success in one sense after last season, as much as I'd love us to be up there!

Agree with the last few posts. I guess we're hoping one of Kanu and Quigley can weigh in with a few goals a little like Williamson did the year we went up for example. Pope, Hughes and Williamson got roughly 50 between them that season. Pope, Miller and the aforementioned would have to do similar again which perhaps isn't beyond the realms with a fair wind? The problem(with this current side) as mentioned is can we honestly see the midfield getting 15-20 goals, didn't JMW get 12 or so from the wing that season and Vincent 6 or 7?

All that said I'm not particularly expecting playoffs or going up. I'd probably take 10-12th as a relative success in one sense after last season, as much as I'd love us to be up there!

That's the problem with the modern day.

10th to 12th will keep most of the 3000 fans happy ish !

but 3000 gates will be terrible for the club as a whole

and will result in even less budget for the following season.

Somehow we need a play off push this season, but I doubt it

The sad thing is that we've had the last 2 seasons because steady progression and mid table league one wasn't good enough and it was all ripped up to start again.

Anyone with football common sense will say continued recruitment policies of massive squad overhauls like we've had this summer, last summer, Jan 2017 and summer 2016 are a recipe for instability. Even going higher up the tree, look at what Everton did last summer with the amount of players they bought in and the season turned in to a disaster and the manager was sacked. Remember when Tottenham spent all the Gareth Bale money bringing in something like 8 players, they didn't all work out and the manger left.

My point being that Aspin isn't going to sort this in one summer with all the players we've seen leave and come in. There has to be a degree of patience and time needed with the young players to find their fett, the players making the step up from non-league and the eperienced ones too as we try to get a decent blend.

Do you mean the budget that has been swelled by £2.4m in recent times?

I know what I would have done with that money if I ran the club.

Do you mean the budget that has been swelled by £2.4m in recent times?

I know what I would have done with that money if I ran the club.

Buy a non-league ground and build some apartments and a pub?

Archived