onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Although preseason means nothing of course, Cambridge United have scored 28 goals so far in theirs. How many have we scored?

I know you have to put them in the net regardless, but they've scored almost all those goals against Non League opposition. Only 2 of those are against League opposition and in the same match.

You had me worried there for a second :wink:

Advert

We've got more than that haven't we if we take into account Calverly, Angus & Turner?

I make it 33 at the start of last season, and currently we are at 26 (including Lainton who is out on loan, Angus, Calverly and Turner too who may yet play a part, and Davis and Barnett who may yet leave).

You can argue that 1,4 or 7 should be taken off the squad list but then you have players like Walford, Slinn, Dennis and Kelly who were youngsters who never played a game last season. We are still about seven players lighter than the start of last season.

It's been a very frustrating problem for us, not having Miller available.

And most of the others (Dodds apart) haven't been finding the net. Kanu & Daniels? Quigley has started more games but not scored, has he?

I wonder in the circumstances if there's still an outside chance of getting Walters since the Cobblers now have a tasty looking partnership of Williams and Morais up front. He'd be very welcome but I guess it's a very long shot.

I believe we are also chasing Howkins (who has fitness problems) and he too would be a great asset because he's a bit quicker and classier than what we've got.

Only thinking aloud. I don't know anything.

But scoring goals does look like it could be difficult again. We all hope 100% that Miller can grab a few for us but missing nearly all pre-season isn't a good omen and he can't be anywhere near match fit yet. We've got to hope that Wednesday brings us good news because if not the cupboard looks rather bare. That said, if we kicked off with Pope & Dodds it's quite decent at this level.

Don't personally know about the attributes of Walters but seems there could be / has been trouble at Northampton Town previous owners & council money ,not sure how this affects the club now but any move maybe worthwhile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-44900584

&

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-43908446

As an occasional watcher of Stevenage matches, being an exile near Stevenage I can say that Tom Conlon would be a poor signing if our ambition is anything other than staying in the league. The sort of player Barnet used to get every year off Stevenage to keep them up.

Brendon Daniels has gone out on loan for 1 month to Altrincham, obviously Aspo doesn't think he's in his 1st team plans yet.

I thought that Daniels would be one of those Aspin was referring to when he said that some of the new signings haven't impressed as much as he thought they would and must do better, as he's specifically praised certain new players (Rawlinson, Dodds, Conlon, Miller.....for his training!) whilst not mentioning other new signings at all (Daniels, Legge, Kanu, Quigley).

We do some strange things with signings still. Howe, Angus, Daniels all signed then shipped out pretty much straight away.

Do we have scouts any more or will we just adopt the scatter gun approach forever and just hope some turn out well?

We still don't have any creativity in the squad apart from Worrall and we kick off next Saturday! Put 2 players on Worrall and we won't create anything.

He's only got a six month contract so it needs to start happening for him soon.

Suggests he was perhaps a longshot.

Small risk on both sides.

He will either develop, or go back to the level he came from.

Archived