onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

So Aspin is lying then............

What are you on about? Of course he’s not lying. What I’m saying is players aren’t some mindless robots who just do what their agents say.

The insinuation made on here was that after Whitfield agreed on the deal his agent stuck his nose in and decided to tell Aspin no.

In my experience players and agents are well aware of what a club are going to offer them. They would get a draft copy, review it and make any necessary changes, like bonuses, salary increases, release clauses, etc normal negotiations. I don’t believe Whitfield would agreed on a deal behind his agents back, that’s not how they would work normally.

I believe Whitfield did agree to come to the club, then changed his mind and got the agent to call Aspin instead of doing it himself. That says more about what kind of man Whitfield is.

Advert

It also sounded to me as if we were very close to signing Walters [before Miller] but because Walters faffed about for a fortnight we let him go.

From what I can gather I think we'll go with what we've got until towards the end of August and then hopefully pick up a couple of loan signings - Howkins sounds close and I don't know who the other one might be but Aspin wanted it to be someone who would play in the first team and not warm the bench every week. A fast, tricky player like Whitfield would be nice.

What are you on about? Of course he’s not lying. What I’m saying is players aren’t some mindless robots who just do what their agents say.

The insinuation made on here was that after Whitfield agreed on the deal his agent stuck his nose in and decided to tell Aspin no.

Baggers on StokeonTrent Live....

COULD VALE TRY TO SIGN BEN WHITFIELD FROM BOURNEMOUTH AGAIN? (Aspin effectively ruled that out).

NA: "You try to be honest, I can be as honest as I can. I shook hands with Ben Whitfield in my house on a contract with him, and I shook hands with his dad. The chairman backed me and was willing to buy him. We offered him a good contract and they both shook hands, in January.

Half an hour later his agent rang me up and said they are not taking that deal."

You can make your own mind up on the interpretation but to me his agent pulled the plug.

In this case I think Whitfield did exactly what his agent was saying. If he and his dad both agreed to move and then his agent spoke and changed his mind then surely he’s following what his agent says? Seen there’s a chat on Twitter with Whitfield that explains that. Shame as he would’ve been a great signing.

I knew Walters was a done deal and was for some time, never knew why it didn’t go through though. Again a shame.

Hope we can get howkins in for the season.

Overall aspin came across great, seems like the budget is pretty much normal, but was clearly backed in terms of Whitfield and miller.

Brown, rawlinson, manny and miller all to shine this season for me.

It also sounded to me as if we were very close to signing Walters [before Miller] but because Walters faffed about for a fortnight we let him go.

From what I can gather I think we'll go with what we've got until towards the end of August and then hopefully pick up a couple of loan signings - Howkins sounds close and I don't know who the other one might be but Aspin wanted it to be someone who would play in the first team and not warm the bench every week. A fast, tricky player like Whitfield would be nice.

Walters probably thought he had a deal in the bag and could leave us hanging in case a better offer came along.

Whitfield isn't as good as he or his agent think. He'll end up on loan somewhere again and probably flatter to deceive a little again. Struggled when pitches got heavier.

In this case I think Whitfield did exactly what his agent was saying. If he and his dad both agreed to move and then his agent spoke and changed his mind then surely he’s following what his agent says?

According to Whitfield it was his decision, he hasn't even mentioned his agent in the twitter message. He said that he and his dad went round to Aspins to discuss the move, but after a long discussion with his dad he decided that signing on loan for 6 months and then reviewing the permanent move in the summer would be a better idea.

Sounds like he changed his mind to keep his options open.

And once again, my point that agents are vultures from Hell is underlined!!! If the player is happy with the move and the contract, the agent should be happy!

If I was Whitfield, I would be embarrassed to show my face at Vale, after that night! Having a pile of **** like that representing me.

Players and agents are very close, players are not solely at the beck and call of just what the agent wants to do.

I know that managers and chairmen don't like dealing with them, but players have to have them to look after their interests, and thats why clubs don't like it because they can't get their own way. Agents are the ones doing the negotiating alongside the player, whilst clubs are fighting it out between themselves with agents for a player they want to sign (like Waters for example). Clubs are playing agents of against each other, agents are playing clubs off against each other. It works both ways. If agents are regarded as a shady side of the game then trust me clubs are equally as shady.

A perfect case in point is Barnett and Davis now. The club do not want them, make them train with the youth, banish them from the first team and do all they can to make them leave. The same happened last year with the foreign lads. This is where their agents need to earn their money and try to get them a deal elsewhere. This is why there is very little loyalty in football from players, managers etc, because they know that once a club don't want you then you're treated like a leper.

The other very interesting comment from last night concerned the role of Sir John Rudge.

Clearly he is not heavily involved in any transfer dealings. Aspin and his two coaches are the ones who look after that.

Rudge offers advice if asked but doesn't appear to be much involved in transfers any more.

The other very interesting comment from last night concerned the role of Sir John Rudge.

Clearly he is not heavily involved in any transfer dealings. Aspin and his two coaches are the ones who look after that.

Rudge offers advice if asked but doesn't appear to be much involved in transfers any more.

From what I have gathered (through conversations on here) Rudgie watches players then suggests them to Aspo.

From what I have gathered (through conversations on here) Rudgie watches players then suggests them to Aspo.

I don't think that is correct.I bumped into Rudge recently and he confirmed that his knowledge of players in the lower leagues is very limited due to his role at that other club.So as Aspin said he alone will stand or fall by his signings.

Thought Aspin comments about loan players was interesting. Pretty much saying that ideally need to go in the team or at least challenge. We had the debacle of Brown signing all and sundry and the likes of Stobbs end up in Sheff Wed first team after never featuring here.

Be interesting to see the game time Kanu gets , he seems way down the pecking order. An 18 year old from a Premier league team is a risk so I'm not sure how much Peterborough expect him to be in our team.

Also reading between the lines I don't see Daniels here after January, quite damning comments that he was behind in fitness as he hadn't done any work whilst on his own prior to pre season.

Roll on Saturday and let's hope for a huge improvement.

As for Whitfield we all have opinion on him . I will say his goal against Chesterfield kept us up. Had we not won that game then we were right in the mire.

To me he made things happen that others didn't, thanks to his agent maybe greed played it's part .

Whilst he might not know much about those leagues I'm sure Rudge has been with him to watch players.

Thought Aspin comments about loan players was interesting. Pretty much saying that ideally need to go in the team or at least challenge. We had the debacle of Brown signing all and sundry and the likes of Stobbs end up in Sheff Wed first team after never featuring here.

Be interesting to see the game time Kanu gets , he seems way down the pecking order. An 18 year old from a Premier league team is a risk so I'm not sure how much Peterborough expect him to be in our team.

Also reading between the lines I don't see Daniels here after January, quite damning comments that he was behind in fitness as he hadn't done any work whilst on his own prior to pre season.

As for Whitfield we all have opinion on him . I will say his goal against Chesterfield kept us up. Had we not won that game then we were right in the mire.

To me he made things happen that others didn't, thanks to his agent maybe greed played it's part .

Players like Stobbs and Pyke just didn't seem up to it last season and thats the gamble with loan signings because in the main they are young inexperienced players. Its not like the old days where you'd find experienced players going on loan to clubs. I thought the same with what he said about Daniels, hes done himself no favours coming in unfit and this was his big chance too.

We saw what Whitfield was capable of and we also saw (like many young players) how inconsistent he can be too.

Whitfield has said on twitter that it was him, along with his dad, who decided it was best to only come on loan in January.

Don't really see bringing in a loan player just to add a body as being helpful, which we possibly did last year. Kanu has something and was a regular a division below us at 16, although mainly as a winger.

If Aspin had decided to write Daniels off they wouldn't have put extra sessions on to get him fit. I suspected he had a bit of a reputation for being talented but lazy when I read Aspin's comments when we signed him. His delivery into the box is good, he has 4 months to show he really wants to make it as a professional.

Archived