onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

I can't quite understand what happened with Ben Whitfield. He was said to be out of contract in the summer so would have been available from the end of June. But now it's being said that he's been released by Bournemouth? So did he sign another contract with them and if so, why is he released now? Of did he not sign another contract and has actually been available all summer? Or were Bournemouth keeping the contract offer on the table in the hope of getting a fee because he's under 24?

Advert

Was Ben not offered a 3 year contract, which would mean a possible tribunal if he moves. Whereas saying he had been released, to me meant being released from any commitment to the Cherries. In effect refusing to sign but without the tribunal clause.

If that was the case wouldn't he only be able to go somewhere else on loan now?

If Ben was offered a new contract by Bournemouth but he turned it down although he is now a free agent, Bournemouth would still be due a fee set by a tribunal. Maybe this is putting clubs off. Not sure how it stands if they offered him a contract on reduced terms, could be then that Bournemouth are not entitled to any fee.

Wasted wages are going to come back and haunt us this year

Tonge

Pugh

Barnett

Davies

Dodds

Probably over 3k a week in wages there

Had Kanu and Quigley to that who we must be paying something towards even if it’s 500 quid a week and you start to realise we could easily have signed 2 top top players on 1.5-1.75k a week each

2 loans left. We need a big centre half and a back-up for Pope up front. We're poor in the air at both ends of the pitch and have no presence up top without Pope.

I don’t think we need a centre half. Rather us just actually play our centre halves there instead of sticking them at right back. For me we need a back up target man as you say. And we’re desperate for some kind of pace and creativity so a wide man is a must. As mentioned this squad looks like another with quantity of quality.

Wasted wages are going to come back and haunt us this year

Tonge

Pugh

Barnett

Davies

Dodds

Probably over 3k a week in wages there

Had Kanu and Quigley to that who we must be paying something towards even if it’s 500 quid a week and you start to realise we could easily have signed 2 top top players on 1.5-1.75k a week each

Apart from Dodds your list contains players that Aspin can do nothing about. It's either pay them up and waste money or hope someone comes in for them. Otherwise we're stuck.

Dodds isn't a bad signing though. Please drop this agenda.

I don’t think we need a centre half. Rather us just actually play our centre halves there instead of sticking them at right back. For me we need a back up target man as you say. And we’re desperate for some kind of pace and creativity so a wide man is a must. As mentioned this squad looks like another with quantity of quality.

I do agree re: centre half but I felt even against cambridge we lost a lot of aerial battles. Hopefully Legge can step up in that role.

2 loans left. We need a big centre half and a back-up for Pope up front. We're poor in the air at both ends of the pitch and have no presence up top without Pope.

Trying to sign another Tom Pope on loan isn't realistic because if he's anywhere near as good the club loaning him to us would expect him to play every game. If we could get Howkins I'd be very happy but most Accadamy centrehalves aren't that physical. We are very weak down the left hand side in terms of cover, so personally a good leftback or left winger would be my first choice. Then Howkins if at all possible.

Howkins I think is still unfit. He's played only 45 minutes after a summer operation so won't be match fit for weeks and weeks.

I'm beginning to think that we should move Monty to left wing and bring in a Gunning type replacement at left back.

We do need someone as cover for Pope but you're right - anyone decent would expect to play.

To be frank, we appear to have weaknesses in every department of the team so it's hard to nominate the two positions we think need strengthening. I haven't seen enough of them to make a definitive judgement but I'd consider a couple of defenders and a fast winger I think. I suppose there's still a chance that we might offload 2-3 before the end of the month and that might give us a bit more leeway but how many loans can we have and how many have we got?

Archived