onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

If Whitfield has been released and we don’t to sign him then I think Smurf and/or Aspin has some explaining to do. The guy is class, simple. Yes he goes missing at times (remind you of anyone?) but when he turns it on (think Luton) he is basically too good for L2. We will make money on him, I have no doubt.

Advert

If Whitfield has been released and we don’t to sign him then I think Smurf and/or Aspin has some explaining to do. The guy is class, simple. Yes he goes missing at times (remind you of anyone?) but when he turns it on (think Luton) he is basically too good for L2. We will make money on him, I have no doubt.

It seemed to me young Whitfield et al played the ends against the middle and it didn't go his way ergo - and in my opinion - no explanations would be needed from Norman and Neil.

If Whitfield is available, would like to sign for us and Aspo thinks he'd be a good signing we should go for him, the events of January with his agent's questionable actions are irrelevant.

Maybe so SoTT, but I'm wondering if the hype re. Ben Whitfield is justified given his Kidderminster, Yeovil and Port Vale loan spells as a Bournemouth player. In fact, has he ever played for Bournemouth?

Nonsense. It's about getting good players on the pitch at our level.

Norman did this when Marshall left, then wanted to return. Idiotic, stubborn behaviour turning him down then he went to Bradford and was their player of the year.

Get good players into the squad and on the pitch and EVERYTHING takes care of itself then.

Didn’t we offer 30k to sign him in January so a bargain for free.

Whitfield is effective behind the striker, he's redundant out wide.

As things stand I can't see us playing a 4231 so I can't see him wanting to sign for a club in League 2 where he's not guaranteed game time.

Would happily take him back though. His form fell off but if he didn't bend that peach in vs Chesterfield we're probably on the way back from an away day at Barrow as we speak.

Nonsense. It's about getting good players on the pitch at our level.

Norman did this when Marshall left, then wanted to return. Idiotic, stubborn behaviour turning him down then he went to Bradford and was their player of the year.

Get good players into the squad and on the pitch and EVERYTHING takes care of itself then.

The quote at the time included that the Marshall money had been spent on replacing him, on Kelly who turned out to be a poor replacement. It was well after the 30 days a player has to accept a contract, not long before the season started after not being in contact with the club for most of the time. We've been in the situation at times of holding on for players who have gone elsewhere and not been able to replace. Not sure how much was being stubborn and how much was sticking to a budget. With hindsight we shouldn't have signed Kelly and waited longer for Marshall but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

After a bit of a newspaper and social media spat with Aspin I doubt Whitfield would come back. I suspect Aspin himself would make the deal if it was within his budget and he felt it was going to improve the team, as he comes across as pragmatic. Whether Smurthwaite would be prepared to increase the budget to get him is debatable. His goals per game record is poor for someone given a lot of attacking scope last season and at Yeovil.

The quote at the time included that the Marshall money had been spent on replacing him, on Kelly who turned out to be a poor replacement. It was well after the 30 days a player has to accept a contract, not long before the season started after not being in contact with the club for most of the time. We've been in the situation at times of holding on for players who have gone elsewhere and not been able to replace. Not sure how much was being stubborn and how much was sticking to a budget. With hindsight we shouldn't have signed Kelly and waited longer for Marshall but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

After a bit of a newspaper and social media spat with Aspin I doubt Whitfield would come back. I suspect Aspin himself would make the deal if it was within his budget and he felt it was going to improve the team, as he comes across as pragmatic. Whether Smurthwaite would be prepared to increase the budget to get him is debatable. His goals per game record is poor for someone given a lot of attacking scope last season and at Yeovil.

Can you stop being sensible, thoughtful and level headed with your comments please

If Ben is a good player why then is he not being chased by other managers from the 'Championship down?

He can be very good but also pretty poor. Must have an inkling to where he's going having agreed to be released or be stupid and poorly advised. Expect him to sign somewhere early next week. No more than a squad player If above division 2. Explosive pace over 5 to 15 metres. Not that fast over a longer distance, probably no quicker than Hannatt over 50 metres. Maybe better suited to a smaller ground where he will get the ball closer to the opposition goal and that initial pace can cause problems. Struggles on heavier mid winter pitches.

If Ben is a good player why then is he not being chased by other managers from the 'Championship down?

Um, we struggle to compete with some National League clubs when it comes to signing players so if Championship or League One managers were chasing him then he would not be a realistic target.

Whitfield is effective behind the striker, he's redundant out wide.

As things stand I can't see us playing a 4231 so I can't see him wanting to sign for a club in League 2 where he's not guaranteed game time.

Would happily take him back though. His form fell off but if he didn't bend that peach in vs Chesterfield we're probably on the way back from an away day at Barrow as we speak.

For once 100% agree on the first point. We don’t need another ‘inbehind’ the striker player when Worrall and Dodds are in the squad he would be another bench warmer.

100% right...given the number of clubs interested in him in Jan his attitude, agents approach to Aspin and performances mean he’s sat with nothing currently. He was by no means a world beater just had pace and the odd trick in a side completely devoid of quality or legs last year. Hannant more consistent, Worrall a better player for sure he’s just another Dodds, not a CM, not a winger and not a striker. No place in our squad

In reality his agent saved us wasting a fee in Jan and needs a pat on the back from Aspo and Smurf.

Ben saved us the fee himself by deciding along with his dad not to agree to a permanent move.

I'm willing to bet that at the time they thought it would be better to see what his options were in the summer. With interest from Lincoln and us at the time, plus the possibility of a new deal at Bournemouth on the horizon they probably thought that someone would come in for him in the summer or he would be loaned out to a higher level. Trouble is that things can change quickly in football and with him hardly playing from Jan onwards its all backfired on him.

Archived