onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Advert

No, he wasn't great when he first came here but suffered from injuries if I remember correctly and didn't have a long run in the team.

For me, at present, we don't have anyone down the flanks who can beat a man, get to the byline and be a goal threat. Monty - on paper - seems our best bet. Hannant isn't a good winger and Worrall currently looks out of sorts. Wasn't Monty our second top scorer last year? It was him of course who set up Pope for our third goal against CU, with a lovely, inch perfect cross.

I'd agree with that. This lad seems to be more of a right back than a left back but apparently can play in either position. Whether he's up to it or not we'll have to wait and see (sounds a bit like Hart) but he immediately gives us more balance and like you I'd move Monty up the pitch and tell him to get to the byline.

Please god he's good enough to play some games and not, as you say, sit on the bench with splinters in his ****.

Apparently scouted by Rudge by all accounts which has to be a positive. His one senior game was at leftback. Played quite a few games last season on the right of a back 3. I'm fairly certain Aspin believes a back 3 is probably a better option when teams play one up front and I suspect (hope?) he's seen enough of Montano in a back 3 to realise he's not the answer. Maybe a player who will let us go 3 at the back, allow Montano to play as more of a wingback, rather than fullback and cover Legge's lack of pace in a back 3?

Seems a decent signing on paper. Let’s hope he can bring something to the squad.

I just hope Aspin doesn’t use it to push Gibbons even further out of the starting 11 as he’s been one of our better players over the course of last season and the start of this season. I sometimes get the feeling that Aspin and Gibbons don’t get on it that Aspin doesn’t rate him that highly.

Personally, I think the squad we have is set up to play with 3 at the back and wing backs especially if this lad can play as part of a back 3. Gibbons and Montano are our best attclong options at the moment. I have previously said that 4231 would suit us but now I’ve seen Miller and Pope play together I think it is vital that they both start.

Ths forum thought he was the find of the season as a left back last year. He was excellent in that position.

Something I still fully believe in. He struggled first 20 minutes against Cambridge but once he got to grips with his man he had a really good game. He looks much better coming onto the ball at full back rather than receiving it as a winger. We just need time to allow the squad to settle. No point in knee jerk reactions just yet.

I don't agree with the Gibbo/Aspin fall-out comment from whoever it was before. Aspin gave him a 3 year deal and the number 2 shirt, so can't think that low of him.

We have inexperienced players in a newly formed squad. It'll take a season maybe for them to gel. The important thing is to support them. We'll probably finish mid table this season which I would be happy with, and then we can build next season by adding more quality to the squad and chopping off from the bottom.

Interesting discussion about Monty.

My suggestion to put him back on the wing was because we are not creating anything down the flanks. I think we had, what, one on target effort in 90 minutes in the last home game? And not too many in the one before. He was our second top scorer last year, while Hannant has managed only 1 goal in 21 matches and for me doesn't look threatening at all.

But, yes, he was very impressive as left back last year, though I didn't see him in any tricky away games when we faced a troublesome winger. I still worry a little about his positional play and strength and feel there's something a bit lightweight about him but he was really good as left back, I do agree.

There is something not right though about our back four as a whole. We look flaky. Just not enough physicality and grit and win-at-all-costs. No Aspin or Hazell or Swan or Bikey or whatever. We look a bit of a soft touch. We praised Anderson & Gunning because they got stuck in and found Row Z. We don't have enough players like that.

Saturday's team selection will be interesting.

Oh, what happened to this forward we were chasing two weeks ago? We'd made a bid for one and were looking at a loan deal for another, according to our esteemed chairman.

My suggestion to put him back on the wing was because we are not creating anything down the flanks. I think we had, what, one on target effort in 90 minutes in the last home game? And not too many in the one before. He was our second top scorer last year, while Hannant has managed only 1 goal in 21 matches and for me doesn't look threatening at all.

But, yes, he was very impressive as left back last year, though I didn't see him in any tricky away games when we faced a troublesome winger. I still worry a little about his positional play and strength and feel there's something a bit lightweight about him but he was really good as left back, I do agree.

There is something not right though about our back four as a whole. We look flaky. Just not enough physicality and grit and win-at-all-costs. No Aspin or Hazell or Swan or Bikey or whatever. We look a bit of a soft touch. We praised Anderson & Gunning because they got stuck in and found Row Z. We don't have enough players like that.

Oh, what happened to this forward we were chasing two weeks ago? We'd made a bid for one and were looking at a loan deal for another, according to our esteemed chairman.

At home the onus is on us to be on the front foot. Against Lincoln we didn't have any real attacking threat down the wings because Monty couldn't get forward to support Hannant and we had a centre half playing right back. So straight from the off we just resorted to long balls that were wasted on Miller and Dodds.

The worrying thing is that the teams we've played this season have all targeted our left wing and had quite a bit of joy there. Although to be fair against Cambridge, Monty came through a tough intiial 20 minutes and ended up having a good game.

In terms of the defence our centre halfs IMO should be horrible at this level, head and kick anything that moves.

A write up on our new loan defender: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-mitch-clark-lowdown-13514595

From last year, but sounds like he has some attributes you refer to.

Archived