onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

I know some people who coach at the club and also others who have children in the ladies team and in the boys academy. The organisation is massive, hundreds of people behind the scenes. The premier league has made it such a bloated organisation that surely more than just a few bar jobs could be affected.

Local media are already milking this for its worth with Radio Stoke broadcasting outside their ground and running features on how it will affect the local economy.

Surely the purpose of the parachute payments? Players contracts will have relegation clauses and the big earners will go elsewhere, so that should account for a big drop in the wage bill.

Advert

That's football - Rota fortunae.

Stoke don't have a divine right to be in the Premier League and the local economy can't bank on the (somewhat exaggerated) benefits of them being there in perpetuity.

Surely the purpose of the parachute payments? Players contracts will have relegation clauses and the big earners will go elsewhere, so that should account for a big drop in the wage bill.

The figures they said on the radio this morning were that they'd still get 50m next season. So yeah maybe initially it can carry on as it is behind the scenes in the hope they go up first time, but I bet theres some panic going on to make the numbers work.

Relegation can be a positive thing. It can reinvigorate a club and allows new players to come to the fore that would have been bench warming or stuck in the academy black hole.

A lot depends of the club and its attitude. You only have to look at the number of clubs that get relegated from the Premier and end up in League 1 to see how bad the drop can affect clubs. It's almost like a post traumatic effect that they can't shake off.

However Stoke appear to have no youth players breaking through and I am guessing most of their first team will be gone before the start of the next season. Looks like the manager might be off too - probably not a bad thing as he's dreadful.

So relegation can be positive. I'm feeling very positive about it.

See you in a couple of seasons. :razz:

There's obviously no way they'll keep the likes of Butland, Allen, Shaqiri etc. I wouldn't mind the former and the latter at Liverpool. Shaqiri is inconsistent but in a team with better, faster players around he he'd be great, and Liverpool for all of their positives at the moment do lack a bit of creativity in midfield. I wouldn't go mad over Butland though as it's debatable whether he's better than Karius, and if he is currently it's not by much.

That's football - Rota fortunae.

Stoke don't have a divine right to be in the Premier League and the local economy can't bank on the (somewhat exaggerated) benefits of them being there in perpetuity.

Correct

Stay focused, I said the club was losing at least £50 million in income. I'm an Accountant and business graduate, so I just thought I would tell folks what downside comes with that. There is no upside, only adjustment, with the loss of at least several hundred jobs. And it is going to substantially happen in North Staffordshire.

I accept what you are saying Warren, but I am a football fan and I believe that the season should start on a level playing field. Sjoke get £50million as a reward for getting relegated, what do Wigan get as a reward for winning league 1. If Sjoke chose to pay inflated wages for mediocre Johnny foreigner then that is their problem, should they not have had a clause in the players contracts that their salaries will be halved if they get relegated. May have got a bit more effort from their superstars.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a dig at Stoke (:laugh:)it's the whole premiership system.

I'm not bothered what happens either way.

If they stay up, the boredom/disillusionment grows. All of my Stoke supporting mates don't go any more! Their seasons have been an exact replica for about 7 years now - ie they look like they're in trouble, then beat one of the promoted teams 1-0 and have lucky win elsewhere to move away from trouble etc.

If they go down the Premier league will be a better spectacle but it could galvanise the club as they should win more games and score more goals!

They deserve to go down when I hear them moaning about Peter Coates on P&G! Unbelievable! They should try having our lunatic owner for a season if they want something to moan about!

I still think they will get 2 wins and stay up but I'd much rather us do well then worry about them!

If itbwasn't for Peter Coates they'd havr been a lower end Championship or league 1 club.

Re Shaqiri, there is a rumour that he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £12 mill if relegated. Any idea if this is true, TP.

With regard to relegation clauses in players' contracts, they don't always exist. Jack Rodwell at Blunderland has been paid £70k a week in the Championship this season and has started one league game all season!

Re Shaqiri, there is a rumour that he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £12 mill if relegated. Any idea if this is true, TP.

With regard to relegation clauses in players' contracts, they don't always exist. Jack Rodwell at Blunderland has been paid £70k a week in the Championship this season and has started one league game all season!

Apparently,Burnley are interested in the Shaq?

I know some people who coach at the club and also others who have children in the ladies team and in the boys academy. The organisation is massive, hundreds of people behind the scenes. The premier league has made it such a bloated organisation that surely more than just a few bar jobs could be affected.

Local media are already milking this for its worth with Radio Stoke broadcasting outside their ground and running features on how it will affect the local economy.

I am sick to the few back teeth I have left of hearing about potential job losses at the Fat 365. Who cares ?

But this tripe about their long overdue relegation affecting the local economy really takes the biscuit.

When they got promoted did local people’s wages increase NO. Did housing prices increase ? NO. Did Potteries folk suddenly become better off ? NO Did the useless council repair more potholes in the roads ? No. Did Campbell Place suddenly look like Trafalgar Square ? No. Will the local economy therefore suffer with their relegation ? NO.

It’s just a rouse so every one should feel sorry and thank good old Stoke City for helping everyone out. Just like the odious Peter Coates has helped us in the past.

I hope the local economy falls through the floor if it means Stoke doing a Coventry, Blackpool, Northampton etc etc.

It’s just cheap journalism at it’s very worst.

I am sick to the few back teeth I have left of hearing about potential job losses at the Fat 365. Who cares ?

But this tripe about their long overdue relegation affecting the local economy really takes the biscuit.

When they got promoted did local people’s wages increase NO. Did housing prices increase ? NO. Did Potteries folk suddenly become better off ? NO Did the useless council repair more potholes in the roads ? No. Did Campbell Place suddenly look like Trafalgar Square ? No. Will the local economy therefore suffer with their relegation ? NO.

It’s just a rouse so every one should feel sorry and thank good old Stoke City for helping everyone out. Just like the odious Peter Coates has helped us in the past.

I hope the local economy falls through the floor if it means Stoke doing a Coventry, Blackpool, Northampton etc etc.

It’s just cheap journalism at it’s very worst.

Thank you. From what I heard Sroke has got worse over the last few years.

I haven't noticed anything about the economies of Burnley, Hull and Huddersfield taking a massive upturn since their recent/ongoing stints in the Premier League. Maybe the council could give us a helping hand to get into the Prem - see if we can do a better job. They could build us a new, shiny, nearly-free stadium and generally treat us favourably.

Ps who is this Hughes guy in charge of Southampton? He could do a job at Stoke.

Icing on the cake for the Stoke fans: Hughes has just all but saved Southampton from relegation with a 0-1 victory over Swansea.

He must be thinking how difficult it would have been for him to have bettered Lambert's woeful 7.1% win ratio since joining the potters.

Archived