onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

Advert

Stoke on Trent needs a Premier League football team. It is a big economic boost. No point hoping they get relegated, we are not competing with them, and for most of my life never have been.

Sorry, but I have to say I find the opposite is true, in that we are continually competing with Stoke City, and to a lesser extent with the big Premier League clubs and even some foreign clubs.

Every time you see a kid in the Potteries with a Stoke City shirt on, every time Stoke give out gifts at schools, every time a youngster asks to go and see United or Chelsea play at Stoke - that is one less future, possible lifetime fan Vale have lost.

Our fan base was born - shall we say - 'a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse' than most clubs and you only have to look round to see the proportion of youngsters at Vale Park is not as high as we should aim for.

Our best hope is that Stoke do get relegated, as soon as possible, and that United, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rest are not on offer.

A youngster who can only follow one team might just choose Vale even if they are only playing Crewe or Luton instead of Stoke v Reading or Stoke v Burton Albion, but if they haven't been swayed already a heady full stadium with some of the best players in the world visiting is going to win out against (no disrespect to them) a fixture list of Crawleys or Morecambes.

Quite frankly, stuff the economic boost - how much of it is going to Burslem, let alone Vale ?

Virtually none - and we should and have to be aiming to be the top club in the Potteries.

Unlikely, almost impossible but we have to try and we have to dream and not lie down and die slowly as our fan base dwindles.

Many plces bigger and sometimes more affluent than SOT don't have Premier League teams either - Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol to name just a few.

As regards Mark Hughes, if I am unbiased and forget it is Stoke, I think he is a fairly good, steady manager and Stoke will probably stay up if he stays, but if they sack him it could all go horribly wrong for them, especially if Pulis comes back.

Sorry, but I have to say I find the opposite is true, in that we are continually competing with Stoke City, and to a lesser extent with the big Premier League clubs and even some foreign clubs.

Every time you see a kid in the Potteries with a Stoke City shirt on, every time Stoke give out gifts at schools, every time a youngster asks to go and see United or Chelsea play at Stoke - that is one less future, possible lifetime fan Vale have lost.

Our fan base was born - shall we say - 'a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse' than most clubs and you only have to look round to see the proportion of youngsters at Vale Park is not as high as we should aim for.

Our best hope is that Stoke do get relegated, as soon as possible, and that United, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rest are not on offer.

A youngster who can only follow one team might just choose Vale even if they are only playing Crewe or Luton instead of Stoke v Reading or Stoke v Burton Albion, but if they haven't been swayed already a heady full stadium with some of the best players in the world visiting is going to win out against (no disrespect to them) a fixture list of Crawleys or Morecambes.

Quite frankly, stuff the economic boost - how much of it is going to Burslem, let alone Vale ?

Virtually none - and we should and have to be aiming to be the top club in the Potteries.

Unlikely, almost impossible but we have to try and we have to dream and not lie down and die slowly as our fan base dwindles.

Many plces bigger and sometimes more affluent than SOT don't have Premier League teams either - Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol to name just a few.

As regards Mark Hughes, if I am unbiased and forget it is Stoke, I think he is a fairly good, steady manager and Stoke will probably stay up if he stays, but if they sack him it could all go horribly wrong for them, especially if Pulis comes back.

I agree with most of that. But I can't accept that Hughes is a good manager, nor does his record confirm that. I think they need Pulis to stay up this season. If Hughes stays, they could well go down.

Unfortunately there are 3 teams worse than Lard.

As Smithie says the Premier is basically boring, aspirations of most are to finish 14th. Maybe Leicester ruined it for everyone as expectations are now unrealistic.

These midweek fixtures only saw 2 victories for teams below 6th place,granted a few played out draws.

West Ham awful, West Brom awful, Newcastle falling like a stone, Swansea appalling, Huddersfield punching above weight but now in the bottom few.

Yet again Lard will be okay, just a matter of patience, they will be gone in the next few seasons, fans apathetic , apathy is actually worse than anger as people just tootle off home resigned to dross.

Given that we are in a relegation battle to avoid falling out of the football league for the first time in our history, is this thread about a team dropping out of the Premier League such a good idea?

Seing as they have a 3 miilion page thread about Vale going extinct if we go out of the League then i'm all for it. Just a bit of banter. As i posted above i'll actually be amazed if they go down, we can but dream of being in the Premier League. But considering some of their clowns were on RS predicting Champions League then let us have a laugh at their expense.

Lets face it this season we have had nothing to laugh about watching our dire season.

Archived