onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

I would love it, to see the champagne quaffing Coates family get a bit of grief from the the 12k stoke followers,I would love them to get relegated to wipe the smile off the newbies who have only being going since their promotion to the premier greed.

The only problem is if they do go down which I dont think they will,they will get parachute payments beyond most clubs wildest dreams and so they will then get promoted again and the nightmare will continue.

Ideally for me I hope they just stay up and the malaise carries on at the ......What do they call it ? "The Bear Pit "

I know genuine stoke supporters of over 25 years support and they are saying its getting pointless,they cant break into the top 10,and if they dont have a cup run the season is over by December.

Advert

Sorry, but I have to say I find the opposite is true, in that we are continually competing with Stoke City, and to a lesser extent with the big Premier League clubs and even some foreign clubs.

Every time you see a kid in the Potteries with a Stoke City shirt on, every time Stoke give out gifts at schools, every time a youngster asks to go and see United or Chelsea play at Stoke - that is one less future, possible lifetime fan Vale have lost.

Our fan base was born - shall we say - 'a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse' than most clubs and you only have to look round to see the proportion of youngsters at Vale Park is not as high as we should aim for.

Our best hope is that Stoke do get relegated, as soon as possible, and that United, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rest are not on offer.

A youngster who can only follow one team might just choose Vale even if they are only playing Crewe or Luton instead of Stoke v Reading or Stoke v Burton Albion, but if they haven't been swayed already a heady full stadium with some of the best players in the world visiting is going to win out against (no disrespect to them) a fixture list of Crawleys or Morecambes.

Quite frankly, stuff the economic boost - how much of it is going to Burslem, let alone Vale ?

Virtually none - and we should and have to be aiming to be the top club in the Potteries.

Unlikely, almost impossible but we have to try and we have to dream and not lie down and die slowly as our fan base dwindles.

Many plces bigger and sometimes more affluent than SOT don't have Premier League teams either - Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol to name just a few.

As regards Mark Hughes, if I am unbiased and forget it is Stoke, I think he is a fairly good, steady manager and Stoke will probably stay up if he stays, but if they sack him it could all go horribly wrong for them, especially if Pulis comes back.

There are many clubs who thrive relativelyin the same area. Tranmere have bigger gates than Port Vale and are very close to Everton and Liverpool. In the 1970s and 1980s to see top football - beyond highlights on MOD - you had to go to games. So I watched Stoke and Port Vale to the extent I could afford in those days. That is the way it should be today, the reality of the PL and big business football is not going away. There is a need to adapt and having a hostile attitude to Stoke City including Stoke fans, particularly young ones, doesn't help anyone.

It looks to me like Stoke are in trouble and could go down. If that were to happen their real dedicated level of support would be revealed at about 15,000. So what I am saying is that Port Vale can grow the support by being relatively successful such as challenging for promotion in L2 then L1. If that doesn't happen, and particularly if things stay as they are or get worse, then the club will suffer and that has little to do with Stoke City. Stoke City didn't force Port Vale to sign the players last season nor this, that was down to the managers, chief executive and owner. Our problems are all self inflicted presently.

Stoke on Trent needs a Premier League football team. It is a big economic boost. No point hoping they get relegated, we are not competing with them, and for most of my life never have been.

Maybe not in yours but in mine, we didn't just compete with them, we frequently bettered them, culminating in our 4-0 win at Huddersfield and Stoke getting beaten by City with them both getting relegated. The best day I've ever had as a Vale fan.

The sooner that Stoke get relegated and the top 6 move into a Euro league, the better football will be in this country.

I would love it, to see the champagne quaffing Coates family get a bit of grief from the the 12k stoke followers,I would love them to get relegated to wipe the smile off the newbies who have only being going since their promotion to the premier greed.

The only problem is if they do go down which I dont think they will,they will get parachute payments beyond most clubs wildest dreams and so they will then get promoted again and the nightmare will continue.

Ideally for me I hope they just stay up and the malaise carries on at the ......What do they call it ? "The Bear Pit "

I know genuine stoke supporters of over 25 years support and they are saying its getting pointless,they cant break into the top 10,and if they dont have a cup run the season is over by December.

Lucky for them the season will go all the way to April when they're relegated...

Cringe and shake there heads.This thread is about the craic of a local derby and the rivalry.Long may it continue.

In a world of PC brigade and not being able to speak out for opportunity of offending anyone or touching someone without the cry of sexual harassment.Football rivalry is what keeps the craic going.Stoke hate us.We hate them enjoy 😉

Given that we are in a relegation battle to avoid falling out of the football league for the first time in our history, is this thread about a team dropping out of the Premier League such a good idea?

It’s not the first time in our history old boy- cheers Sir Stan

Archived