onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

Advert

I have to agree, I mean, look at his glorious CV as a manager.

Guys a failure, always has been always will be.

He would be wise to go for the wales job - should they want him - as I don't see him getting another prem job.

I'm realy not that bothered as I only really care about Vale and not Stoke or their managers,, but I'm afraid that at least at Blackburn the facts prove you are mistaken, like a few others on here who make strongly judgemental remarks but never seem to back them up with any facts whatsoever -

Mark Hughes at Blackburn Rovers[edit]:-

Hughes quit the Welsh national side in September 2004 to take charge of Blackburn in the FA Premier League, the last club he had played for.[24] His key aim was to keep Blackburn clear of relegation, which he succeeded in doing, while also taking the club to an FA Cup semi-final for the first time in over 40 years.

[/B].[25]In his second season, Blackburn surprised even the most optimistic supporters by finishing inside the top six of the Premier League and qualifying for the UEFA Cup, beating teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United (twice) and Arsenal en route.

After just missing out on the League Cup final, his team sealed their spot in Europe by defeating champions Chelsea 1–0 at home.[26] On 4 May 2006, Hughes and assistant Mark Bowen signed new three-year contracts to remain at Blackburn until the summer of 2009.[27]

Hughes then set about creating a formidable side at Ewood Park[/U]. He entered the transfer market, bringing in players such as Benni McCarthy (£2 million), David Bentley (£500,000), Ryan Nelsen (free), Stephen Warnock (£1.5 million), Roque Santa Cruz (£3.5 million), and Christopher Samba (£400,000). Rovers finished tenth in the Premier League in 2006–07, and reached the UEFA Cup round of 32, where they were knocked out by Bayer Leverkusen 3–2 on aggregate.[28]

Rovers faced Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final, their third consecutive semi-final since Hughes took charge. The match ended in defeat, 2–1.

[29] He won the Premier League Manager of the Month award for October 2007,[30] and eventually led Blackburn to a league finish of seventh in 2007–08, Hughes's final season in charge at Ewood Park.[[/COLOR]31]

Decent manager, took over at a difficult time as they transitioned away from the Pulis style football and kept them up easily but every dog has his day and his has expired. Trouble is Stoke have an aging squad for which Hughes has failed to replace the likes of Whelan, Adam, Arnautovich, Hugh etc. They collapsed at Wembley against an out of form Spurs team with lots of injuries and it sounds like they collapsed against a poor West Ham yesterday. It’s only a matter of time till Hughes gets the sack but who will replace him and will he have money in January to improve what is the 2nd to worst squad in the Premiership.

I'm realy not that bothered as I only really care about Vale and not Stoke or their managers,, but I'm afraid that at least at Blackburn the facts prove you are mistaken, like a few others on here who make strongly judgemental remarks but never seem to back them up with any facts whatsoever -

Mark Hughes at Blackburn Rovers[edit]:-

Hughes quit the Welsh national side in September 2004 to take charge of Blackburn in the FA Premier League, the last club he had played for.[24] His key aim was to keep Blackburn clear of relegation, which he succeeded in doing, while also taking the club to an FA Cup semi-final for the first time in over 40 years.

[/B].[25]In his second season, Blackburn surprised even the most optimistic supporters by finishing inside the top six of the Premier League and qualifying for the UEFA Cup, beating teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United (twice) and Arsenal en route.

After just missing out on the League Cup final, his team sealed their spot in Europe by defeating champions Chelsea 1–0 at home.[26] On 4 May 2006, Hughes and assistant Mark Bowen signed new three-year contracts to remain at Blackburn until the summer of 2009.[27]

Hughes then set about creating a formidable side at Ewood Park[/U]. He entered the transfer market, bringing in players such as Benni McCarthy (£2 million), David Bentley (£500,000), Ryan Nelsen (free), Stephen Warnock (£1.5 million), Roque Santa Cruz (£3.5 million), and Christopher Samba (£400,000). Rovers finished tenth in the Premier League in 2006–07, and reached the UEFA Cup round of 32, where they were knocked out by Bayer Leverkusen 3–2 on aggregate.[28]

Rovers faced Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final, their third consecutive semi-final since Hughes took charge. The match ended in defeat, 2–1.

[29] He won the Premier League Manager of the Month award for October 2007,[30] and eventually led Blackburn to a league finish of seventh in 2007–08, Hughes's final season in charge at Ewood Park.[[/COLOR]31]

You are correct to point to his “successes” at Blackburn, but little happened under his watch at Fulham & QPR. Even with the middle eastern money at Man City he did nothing, although he was treated shabbily there. But any success he may have had in his career is now some 10 years since. Not the worst manager, but certainly not the best.

You are correct to point to his “successes” at Blackburn, but little happened under his watch at Fulham & QPR. Even with the middle eastern money at Man City he did nothing, although he was treated shabbily there. But any success he may have had in his career is now some 10 years since. Not the worst manager, but certainly not the best.

A very gfair summary of Hughes abilities - my post was to illustrate that the poster who said he had 'always been a failure and always will be' was wrong and overly critical.

Given that Stoke have been over-achieving for years, I don't think this manager is really at fault for time catching up with them.

I think Stoke will just about stay up if they back him, but if they bring in a replacement with this squad, they would have to spend at least £50million or more in January to have a chance, and even then might still go down.

It's their problem and I don't care much - except to maybe be a bit selfish and say I hope they go down because it would strongly benefit Vale not to have amazing sides and players going there every couple of weeks.

It isn't vindictive and wishing them ill for the sake of it (i'd much rather West Ham went down to be honest, but sadly they probably won't) - but Vale don't need the added difficulties of trying to win fans from a Premiership side as well as all our other problems.

Its quite sad to see the extent to which he's lost it.

Blaming the referee today, having a spat at an ex-player, that bizarre "I only finish in the top 10" statement in the week.

I just hope Coates is sensible and hangs on to him.

I expect Coates to give him one more match against the Baggies to redeem himself?

Too many PL clubs are just happy to avoid relegation but eventually their fans become fed up.A cup final visit might keep them onside for a while but there's nothing worse than mid-table mediocrity every season?

Unfortunately, and I take no pleasure from saying so, but being a division lower and in danger of going non-league is worse.

It hurts me to say so, but it was that attitude about 'nothing worse than mid-table mediocrity' that turned people against Page, a decent manager, and saw Smurf initiate action that saw us plummet a division down with relegation, then fall to the bottom of that division before he was lucky enough to get Aspin and Rudge back.

I'd love Aspin and Rudge to be starting from a League One position of 'mid-table mediocrity' and so would they.

I have to agree, I mean, look at his glorious CV as a manager.

Guys a failure, always has been always will be.

He would be wise to go for the wales job - should they want him - as I don't see him getting another prem job.

Wow, that's a long bow statement. But even if some believe he is a 'failure' he's a bliddy rich 'failure'.

Hughes came out with a classic after yesterday's defeat saying he 'doesn't do relegation'. In other words he's always been sacked by the clubs he's doomed to relegation before they technically got relegated, such as Fulham & QPR. If Sjoke don't replace him before the January spending window can be utilised they will go down, it's not rocket science, his track record says it all. Tactically, he's the Michael Brown of the Premier League.

I hope they bump along the bottom 4/5 the unrest will be immense and it will be interesting to see how Radio Stoke report it especially if the boardroom gets invaded again,incidentally, someone has told me Vale Park is the only ground without a bet365 advert can anyone confirm.

Decent manager, took over at a difficult time as they transitioned away from the Pulis style football and kept them up easily but every dog has his day and his has expired. Trouble is Stoke have an aging squad for which Hughes has failed to replace the likes of Whelan, Adam, Arnautovich, Hugh etc. They collapsed at Wembley against an out of form Spurs team with lots of injuries and it sounds like they collapsed against a poor West Ham yesterday. It’s only a matter of time till Hughes gets the sack but who will replace him and will he have money in January to improve what is the 2nd to worst squad in the Premiership.

'Average' manager, and has always been so.

I hope they bump along the bottom 4/5 the unrest will be immense and it will be interesting to see how Radio Stoke report it especially if the boardroom gets invaded again,incidentally, someone has told me Vale Park is the only ground without a bet365 advert can anyone confirm.

I could be wrong but I thought there was one, will make a point of looking for one now.

The way the fans have milked being in the premier league I doubt many could cope with not being in it anymore,going to be a lot of Christmas stock left over in club shop this year unless they put a big sale on now.

Yoblet,a friend of mine has a Stoke ST.His nephew goes with him.The youngun got home on Saturday and binned his Stoke top.He plays for Vale development,so I’m fully expecting a dramatic shift to Burslem.The lad has seen the light at 8yo.:laugh:

Archived