onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

It is being reported that Stoke can earn £4 million pounds by winning their last game at Swansea,they get £2 million pounds reward for finishing bottom in other words £2 million pounds reward for failure.

They can earn another £2 million by finishing above Swansea.

What a wonderful gesture by the billionare Coates family to donate that money to the City of Stoke on Trent in lieu of the reported losses the city is going to endure following their relegation.

They'll pocket £100m for finishing bottom!!!

Advert

Happening all over SV.I’d suggest that quite a lot of the youngsters who went were only interested in seeing the visitors.

When I was a child in the 60s, my Godfather used to take my Dad (vale fan all his life) and me to the Victoria Ground when Stoke were in Division 1. Funny even then at a tender age I always wanted the visitors to win apart from, for some reason, Swansea and Everton. Well what a dream, who are going down? Sjoke, Swansea and West Brom who all Vale fans of a certain age hate (1954 fa cup semi-final and 1993 play offs for younger readers). Maybe Everton next year but I don’t dislike them nowadays.

When I was a child in the 60s, my Godfather used to take my Dad (vale fan all his life) and me to the Victoria Ground when Stoke were in Division 1. Funny even then at a tender age I always wanted the visitors to win apart from, for some reason, Swansea and Everton. Well what a dream, who are going down? Sjoke, Swansea and West Brom who all Vale fans of a certain age hate (1954 fa cup semi-final and 1993 play offs for younger readers). Maybe Everton next year but I don’t dislike them nowadays.

It’s strange how times change. I like yourself grew up in the 60’s and like yourself hated the red & white half of the city.

However, when Vale we’re away, I would ask my father (Vale through and through) who Stoke were playing and he would take me to Stoke just to see certain players. I remember going to the Victoria ground not to watch Stoke v Fulham, but to watch the first £100 a week footballer Johnny Haynes !

Of course those days there was not the saturation TV coverage like today and seeing these people live was usually you’re only opportunity to see them at all.

Football fans today just seem to watch their own club live, whereas years ago having a top tier team in the city was an opportunity to see top players in the flesh.

Football and all sport for that matter needs to be seen live so as to get the thrill and excitement running through your veins. TV action is a poor substitute for the real thing.

It’s strange how times change. I like yourself grew up in the 60’s and like yourself hated the red & white half of the city.

However, when Vale we’re away, I would ask my father (Vale through and through) who Stoke were playing and he would take me to Stoke just to see certain players. I remember going to the Victoria ground not to watch Stoke v Fulham, but to watch the first £100 a week footballer Johnny Haynes !

Of course those days there was not the saturation TV coverage like today and seeing these people live was usually you’re only opportunity to see them at all.

Football fans today just seem to watch their own club live, whereas years ago having a top tier team in the city was an opportunity to see top players in the flesh.

Football and all sport for that matter needs to be seen live so as to get the thrill and excitement running through your veins. TV action is a poor substitute for the real thing.

The first game of live football I watched was at Stoke City. I therefore supported Stoke for several seasons until they were relegated circa 1984 I think. The only way to see top players and a live game in those days was to go and I was able to see two great teams - Liverpool and Nottingham Forrest. That said the Victoria Ground had crowd trouble like many similar grounds at that time. It was often unpleasant for that reason.

I first watched Port Vale in 1977. And I have been supporting Port Vale since then and Port Vale only from about the mid 80s. Again those days are not like these days. People didn't easily travel round as they do now nor learn about everything on the internet. So Port Vale in the North end of the city was an enigma until I made the effort one Tuesday night and walked there out of curiosity.

I still have friends who are Stoke supporters. So I am genuinely disappointed for them, but if the club regroups well they can challenge for promotion again.

I now live on the Wirral. My friends round here support Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere. A large proportion of Tranmere supporters also support Liverpool in particular. All generally get on well.

I visited a friend in Arbroath last year. They were away, so I could not 'collect' that ground. I went to Montrose and watched them beat Alloa in the Scottish League Cup. So I adopted Montrose as my Scottish team, and hey after 22 years they got promoted winning League 2. So not everything has been depressing this year.

My dad used to take my bro and I to both Vale and Stoke.It somehow clicked I’d sooner watch Greaves,Law,Charlton,Best etc than Harry Burrows,Don Ratcliffe or Calvin Palmer.

The first game of live football I watched was at Stoke City. I therefore supported Stoke for several seasons until they were relegated circa 1984 I think. The only way to see top players and a live game in those days was to go and I was able to see two great teams - Liverpool and Nottingham Forrest. That said the Victoria Ground had crowd trouble like many similar grounds at that time. It was often unpleasant for that reason.

I first watched Port Vale in 1977. And I have been supporting Port Vale since then and Port Vale only from about the mid 80s. Again those days are not like these days. People didn't easily travel round as they do now nor learn about everything on the internet. So Port Vale in the North end of the city was an enigma until I made the effort one Tuesday night and walked there out of curiosity.

I still have friends who are Stoke supporters. So I am genuinely disappointed for them, but if the club regroups well they can challenge for promotion again.

I now live on the Wirral. My friends round here support Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere. A large proportion of Tranmere supporters also support Liverpool in particular. All generally get on well.

I visited a friend in Arbroath last year. They were away, so I could not 'collect' that ground. I went to Montrose and watched them beat Alloa in the Scottish League Cup. So I adopted Montrose as my Scottish team, and hey after 22 years they got promoted winning League 2. So not everything has been depressing this year.

My adopted Scottish team is Motherwell.Good luck to them in the Scottish Cup Final.

A lot of my friends support Tranmere and are at Wembley tomorrow. With a bit of luck they'll be back in L2 and I can walk down the few miles to Prenton Park for Vale's game and stand in the Cow Shed.

A few years ago I was with a friend watching a Tranmere game. A guy got past the police, past the barbed wire and up the floodlight. Then he leapt over on to the Cow Shed roof. Couldn't be coaxed down and the game was adandoned at half time. He had mental illness form, previously climbing a church steeple et al.

See you can miss a lot if you just blindly follow one club. And abusing fans from other clubs including the sort of stuff going on regularly now with Port Vale brings only downside for the individual and the club. Maybe it leads to ill health and the Cow Shed roof or equivalent.

I follow a number of clubs especiayliving down here, visiting Bristol City, watched Wolves live a couple of times this season and been to Wembley 4 Times this season to watch Spurs plus from a distance i support Rangers in Scotland but a) Port Vale are always my love and the team I support and b) I hate Stoke with a passion.

Although I was born in Burslem most of my family are Wolves supporters as they come from the Brereton (nr Rugeley area) and it's big Wolves turf. We are also Czech background and we support both Karlovy Vary and Sparta Prague. I used to live in Bognor so follow them and lived and worked in Brighton so hope they do ok too. Now I live in Barcelona and am a season ticket holder at Espanyol as well as following my neighbourhood team.

Always Vale as number 1 though but if they played Brereton Social I'd want a draw...oh can't abide Stoke nor Walsall nor Barça.

Ok. I will have to confess the clubs I dislike - I will desist from using the word hate after using mindfulness!

1. Stevenage.

2. Crawley.

3. Leeds United - arrogant club with violent fans in 1970s and 1980s.

4. West Ham since they moved to an athletics stadium.

Nothing irritates me more than seeing football fans sentenced to seeing their sport in a stadium infected with an athletics track.

Archived