onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

And the club and HQ is where? When Shelton Bar closed, the coal mines closed, the pottery industry downsized, the jobs were lost where?

What rubbish. Stoke are a business, nearly all the money stays within the business or the owner and they haven’t closed down. They will have a smaller squad and pay their players less but they will still need the same services they had before to make the club function.

Advert

And the club and HQ is where? When Shelton Bar closed, the coal mines closed, the pottery industry downsized, the jobs were lost where?

But the club is not closing. Gates will fall, fewer people travel to the ground reducing income to surrounding hospitality venues cafes, pubs, hotels etc, thus fewer staff required at some locations. But the vast financial change will be within the football sphere mainly spent outside the local area. Business productivity is another factor which can depend upon a successful local team, but usually wears off when the novelty wears off, so probably long gone.

Shedding no tears at the demise of Stoke. However on Saturday morning picked daughter up from Stoke station at 10.30 . Decent amount of Palace fans arriving already, no doubt heading for pubs, butty shops etc... Understand Palace brought 3000+ fans. Its the local shop owners I feel sorry for. You drive around any of our local towns and retailers are having it hard .

This would all be fine Warren, if the Lardies had ever showed any interest in or fellow feeling for the Vale. Just think what two really successful clubs could do for the city. But no, they’ve only ever tried to damage us (notably during the Ted Smith era) or wilfully ignore us (when was the last time we had a promising Stoke youngster on loan - has it ever happened?). Then, when we did better them under Rudgie, it was unforgiveable. Their sense of superiority and entitlement turned into vicious hatred, though I suspect they are more insecure than superior.

I’m all for getting on with our neighbours but they really take the biscuit. Now they can eat it.

Couldn't agree more - are we now meant to hope they stay up because of the supposed damage to "the city"? It's all a load of ball-locks - Shyte City FC care only about Shyte City FC. They deserve everything coming to them - let's hope it's not good.

As for their fans - a minuscule number are ok, but most are oxygen thieves who delight in our misfortunes yet are affronted should we breathe a word against them. I wish these people nothing but anguish.

As a fat Stoke fan spluttered at us as we lost 2-0 at the Victoria Ground in 1997 - "suffer"

But the club is not closing. Gates will fall, fewer people travel to the ground reducing income to surrounding hospitality venues cafes, pubs, hotels etc, thus fewer staff required at some locations. But the vast financial change will be within the football sphere mainly spent outside the local area. Business productivity is another factor which can depend upon a successful local team, but usually wears off when the novelty wears off, so probably long gone.

Stay focused, I said the club was losing at least £50 million in income. I'm an Accountant and business graduate, so I just thought I would tell folks what downside comes with that. There is no upside, only adjustment, with the loss of at least several hundred jobs. And it is going to substantially happen in North Staffordshire.

Couldn't agree more - are we now meant to hope they stay up because of the supposed damage to "the city"? It's all a load of ball-locks - Shyte City FC care only about Shyte City FC. They deserve everything coming to them - let's hope it's not good.

As for their fans - a minuscule number are ok, but most are oxygen thieves who delight in our misfortunes yet are affronted should we breathe a word against them. I wish these people nothing but anguish.

As a fat Stoke fan spluttered at us as we lost 2-0 at the Victoria Ground in 1997 - "suffer"

Oh dear, all the vile coming out now. Try forgiveness.

I too am loving their meltdown.

Part of football is hating your rival. Makes it more fun.

Have no shame in admitting when Burslem Legend Patrick Van Aanholt bagged on Saturday there was a few limbs in my house.

We've had a decade of feeling like they're on another planet to us and now they've been brought down to earth. There's 10,000+ fans there who don't know anything about football outside of the Prem and I can't wait for the harsh realities of the FL to hit them smack in the face.

I don't know if I'm making this clear but I don't like them.

Stay focused, I said the club was losing at least £50 million in income. I'm an Accountant and business graduate, so I just thought I would tell folks what downside comes with that. There is no upside, only adjustment, with the loss of at least several hundred jobs. And it is going to substantially happen in North Staffordshire.

The downside in my experience is you guys think that because it adds up on a spreadsheet then it's cast in stone.

The Pies are made in Crewe by agency staff, they wont be affected,the hotel by Trentham Gardens is always full with visitors to Trentham.

A few part time bar jobs might go but what you are forgetting they will still operate as a football club with all the costs involved and what your spreadsheet doesn't tell you is the away support could be bigger so the assumption that the economy of Stoke will suffer is rubbish.

How much has Fenton improved in the last 10 years ?

Butland and Adam both coming out today and laying into the club.

Even in our shambles we've never had a player come out and publicly embarrass us (chairman on the other hand).

They're spouting their exit speeches, Butland wants a Premier League club and Fat Charlie wants to go back to Glasgow Fascists FC now his mate Stevie G has joined to give them a false dawn.

A few part time bar jobs might go but what you are forgetting they will still operate as a football club with all the costs involved and what your spreadsheet doesn't tell you is the away support could be bigger so the assumption that the economy of Stoke will suffer is rubbish.

I know some people who coach at the club and also others who have children in the ladies team and in the boys academy. The organisation is massive, hundreds of people behind the scenes. The premier league has made it such a bloated organisation that surely more than just a few bar jobs could be affected.

Local media are already milking this for its worth with Radio Stoke broadcasting outside their ground and running features on how it will affect the local economy.

But as others have said, the City is not losing £50M. The majority was going to players bank accounts outside of the district, granted there will be staff losses locally if the parachute payments are insufficient to maintain the current levels. Instead, the merry go round continues so the £50M goes to Wolves, who may use it to pick up a surplus goalkeeper if not required elsewhere. The losses to other businesses will be due to lower numbers of visitors to the matches, offset in some extent to there being more games and at more convenient times.

Archived