onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Stoke City Topic Thread: Relegation? Staying up? Manager? Empty seats

Pheonix Vale

Advert

I think Rowett is a decent manager in the Championship for a side with slightly lower expectations than Stoke will have. The jury is still out on whether he can mount an automatic promotion challenge.

Not to say he can't but that's the stretch for him. He didn't quite manage to take Derby to the next level.

He plays fairly effective yet dour football. He's good for a tilt at the playoffs (with financial backing) but he isn't the exciting manager some fans have been hoping for.

He favours experience over youth (signed Cameron Jerome, Tom Huddlestone, and Curtis Davis for the Rams this year) and will favour pragmatism over entertainment.

On the one hand I'm a bit annoyed as its a far more sensible appointment than Pearson/McCarthy, but on the other I'm quite pleased as it'll likely be fairly dull and uneventful at the 365 Megadrome next year. Depending on how well they spend (which they have an abysmal recent record for), they're probably shoe-ins for top 10 but never quite troubling the top 6.

Interesting to see how the Lards spin it; mere weeks ago I was told they were looking forward to attacking football, good atmospheres, and young, exciting players. What they're basically appointing is an articulate, young Tony Pulis.

So its Gary Rowett does some moving about doesnt he him .

He seems a good manager but will he be allowed time build his own team .

We will see if i was a Derby supporter id be like Hey whats going on here as Rowett played for them so you would think he would want get them up to the premier league .

Money talks hey shame Vale havent got any as these bigger established clubs should recognise .

We have to cut our cloth accordingly so its low rate not that good footballers generally for us for the likes of the bigger supportedclubs its fight over the better players and pay them silly moneyregardless of application attitufe and merit .

All in all very disheartning for Derby fans who may feel they were moving forwards under Rowett,and then have start again because he thinks he is better than them.

Is Cotterill available or Pardew managerial liabilities .

Rowett appointed manager. This is what one Derby fan said “Got his dream job at Derby he said, I want to take them up he said. Drab football very little passion and a considerable amount of luck in the unbeaten run. Good riddance, but the next appointment has to be right with the ageing squad we have thanks to Gary Rowett”

Birmingham fans I know loved him, got them pushing for the play offs. Derby fans I’ve chatted to him don’t like his boring defensive tactics and don’t think he improved their chances of going up. Strange he’s taken a step down leaving Derby for Stoke.

I actually rate Rowett and am gutted he has gone to the Lardies.

So do I but he will need a miracle to turn them around. Hughes has proven he’s not as bad as the lardies were making out and Lambert did a decent job at Wolves in his last managerial position before Stoke.

Stoke won’t bounce back up, keep the faith.

Archived