onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

That has been my point, so many many times!

Some people often or always state, that they are "underwhelmed" or "disappointed" with a new signing. But they never EVER suggest, who they would be happy with us to sign!

Give us a name of a specifik player, you would like to have seen instead, or your "underwhelmed" or "disappointed" is more than a little hollow!

We are never going to sign Christian Eriksen as a creative midfielder or Harry Kane to play with Pope. We are not even going to sign players, who are actually playing, in the Championship or even League 1!

So how in the world people can be so negative about signings that, this year, actually seems well thought out, is far beyond me!

I agree with you, but the argument 'tell us who you would rather sign' never sits well with me.

The people on here aren't football clubs, with access to vast databases, professional full-time scouts, video archives, contacts, and the time, money, and energy to find players.

People on here are football fans who want to see players they recognise sign for the club. I've been very happy with the business done this window, but I also agree that some of the signings have to be viewed as gambles (Kanu, Quigley, Rawlinson, Daniels, Miller, Oyeleke, Vassell). All the lads mentioned there have no real experience of the FL.

The signings of Brown, Legge, Joyce, and Dodds have been ideal as we KNOW exactly what we're getting from them. They've done it for years, and we know we're getting at least decent players.

The above 7 are gambles. I have faith a lot of them will pay off, but I think its a tad harsh to berate fans who are a little uneasy that a summer of rebuilding has led to 7 out of 11 buys being 'gambles'.

For the record, before I am shot down, I am happy with the business done and have the utmost faith in Aspo and Sir John. I am looking forward to seeing Oyeleke, I'm convinced he will be signing of the season (after Brown, as having competence in the nets is going to transform us). Also fairly confident that Vassell and Quigley will prove to be astute. The rest is a toss of a coin.

Advert

Hungry players with something to prove will hopefully work out better than the likes of Barnett, Wilson, Lainton, Tonge, Pugh, etc who had loads of experience at higher levels of the game and were underwhelming last season.

No-one will know until we've played several months of football.

With the number of signings I would realistically be thinking play off push and probably miss out this season and then hopefully a genuine promotion push the season after.

Obviously, we all hope they gel quickly and take the league by storm this season.

I hope we get another left footer in as we look short of cover on that side. (Unless I've overlooked some of our new signings?)

Hungry players with something to prove will hopefully work out better than the likes of Barnett, Wilson, Lainton, Tonge, Pugh, etc who had loads of experience at higher levels of the game and were underwhelming last season.

No-one will know until we've played several months of football.

With the number of signings I would realistically be thinking play off push and probably miss out this season and then hopefully a genuine promotion push the season after.

Obviously, we all hope they gel quickly and take the league by storm this season.

I hope we get another left footer in as we look short of cover on that side. (Unless I've overlooked some of our new signings?)

Nobody had heard of Hannant until he signed last season and was one of the better players last season.

These signings are hungry for success not stealing a wage like Davis,Leighton and Barnet.(Have they been seen at training yet or are they on gardening leave?

True. But lets just look at what could be our strongest 11 as of right now along with 7 subs.

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Worrall

Joyce

Oyeleke

Hannant

Pope

Miller

Leighton/Hornby

Rawlinson

Kaye

Pugh

Daniels

Angus

Quigley

Our starting 11 looks great. I think if we can add Howkins to the side and another half decent wide player, probably a loan, to the squad, we'll be laughing.

So no room on the bench for Kanu Vessel or Dodds? The keeper is called Lainton not Leighton. He will not be on the bench. For the first two games neither will Kaye. I think your starting 11 is about right. Selection of subs will be interesting.

So no room on the bench for Kanu Vessel or Dodds? The keeper is called Lainton not Leighton. He will not be on the bench. For the first two games neither will Kaye. I think your starting 11 is about right. Selection of subs will be interesting.

Forgot about Dodds somehow! Replace Angus with him them. Kanu or Quigley on the bench and perhaps Vassell over Pugh, though I know they play in different positions. It was more to show we have a strong 11 currently than decide on what the subs bench should be in fairness.

We have a lot of non league players in the squad right now - Miller, Quigley, Angus, Daniels, Vassel, Rawlinson, Oyleke. Most of those will be making their L2 debut next season, I just hope they make the step up.

I don't mind a few non league signings but I'd have liked some 22-26 year olds with 200+ football league games too to get the right balance.

That’s my worry... a lot of untested pro’s at this level... bit of a gamble in my book. Clear way to reduce the overall wage bill, hope it pays off and they live up to their potential!

That’s my worry... a lot of untested pro’s at this level... bit of a gamble in my book. Clear way to reduce the overall wage bill, hope it pays off and they live up to their potential!
OK then I'll turn it the other way, Tonge and Pugh have way over 200 league games experience and they are useless. Whitfield hadn't played a league match before last season and probably scored the goal that kept us in the football league(metaphorically as I know Pope scored at Mansfield)

It all depends on the quality of the player you sign and what current form/ability they are at, all this we need experience crap is a myth imo.

Archived