onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Advert

Tonge i would say is gone, Pugh and Kay with mobile players around them have something to offer. The issue in my opinion last year was playing three of them at once made life easy for anyone with a bit of pace to get between them and in behind the midfield easily exposing the back 4. It also meant we couldnt push up and pressure teams as kay and tonge either got marooned in the centre circle or sat on the CBs toes

All true. Kay I don't mind. As a defensive midfielder at least you know what sort of player he is. Tonge and Pugh you can't. They aren't hard men, tacklers, they aren't creative players, they aren't box to box. They're bits and pieces players. They aren't central midfielders by trade but they've both ended up there because needs must.

Tonge used to be more of an attacking player who has gravitated towards centre mid as his legs have gone. Pugh is a utility player. If his best position was centre mid then he'd have been a central midfielder.

Pugh is a long way from being useless. Tonge was struggling a bit last season but worked hard. If we took away their 6 goals we would have been in deep trouble. How many did Hannant score?

Im quite sure if we picked two different midfielders every game of the season then they to would manage 6 goals between them.

I can’t believe there are people arguing that Tonge was good last season. Unbelievable.

Kay is fine as a central midfielder and will offer good cover for Joyce/Oyeleke. Pugh offers something because he can play in more than one position, he wasn’t too bad as a midfielder and I feel like with some younger players around him he will do better. Tonge has totally lost a portion of his footballing ability and looked lost last season.

For what it's worth, I am very happy with the signings made in the close season. On paper, we look to have added some quality players for this level. If they gel quickly, then I think top half should be the minimum expectation. If they take longer to gel, then perhaps top half/mid-table would be a good season. This season is, for me, all about improving measurably from last season, and setting the foundations for a real promotion push next season. Some stability is really required. i just know that some will be calling for Aspin's head after 2-3 games if we don't start particularly well, but that will achieve nothing. Chopping and changing the manager every 6 months or so is not a recipe for success (as we well know).

Of the new signings, I really think that Manny will be the key. He will hopefully offer us something that we've been cying out for for a few years - a properly mobile central midfielder. That link between the more defensively minded central midfield and the attacking third was notable by its absence last season. Like others, I think from the signings that Aspin has made, we may well be looking at a back 3, with Monty and Gibbo pushing on, Joyce starting things from deep slowly to allow the wing backs and Manny to push up, and Pope and Miller pressuring the back line. Could be completely wrong, but I think that may be Aspins choice of style.

I can’t believe there are people arguing that Tonge was good last season. Unbelievable.

I could understand it more if we hadn't signed decent players this year and people were trying clutching to try and justify Tonge being in the team again.

Last seasons midfield was the saddest I've seen in my lifetime supporting Vale. They were competent for half an hour most games but after that, mediocre opposition players literally ran rings round them because they were 15-18 years younger.

Lets move on please, and hopefully never talk about the Pugh-Tonge midfield partnership ever again.

I watch a bit of non league football, the standard is a bit lower than league two. Levi Reid at 34 looks a class above a lot of players when playing for Stafford Rangers but would we want him back?

Do you watch much of the conference?? the division one lower than our own? or are you basing that on Stafford Rangers level? if you are basing it on conference level then i will disagree with you on the standard of football as its very close if not better than a few league 2 teams,if you are getting players from non league then get that teams best players and imo thats what we have been doing

I could understand it more if we hadn't signed decent players this year and people were trying clutching to try and justify Tonge being in the team again.

Last seasons midfield was the saddest I've seen in my lifetime supporting Vale. They were competent for half an hour most games but after that, mediocre opposition players literally ran rings round them because they were 15-18 years younger.

Lets move on please, and hopefully never talk about the Pugh-Tonge midfield partnership ever again.

:clap:

I wasn't comparing Whitfield to Pugh n Tonge in terms of type of player, I was making the point that players with less experience can have more impact than those with seemingly bucket loads of it. Tonge's main contribution was the 4 or 5 he scored from (deflected)free kicks, otherwise he offered very little, was too slow and gave the ball away. I'm sorry but Pugh was just avg-poor 90% of the time he played, again despite a couple of goals I struggle to see what he did well, that a player 10 years younger could not have done equally as well if not better. He's one of those players who has made a career out of being bang average at lb and cm, ask any fans of his previous clubs. Few will say he had many outstanding games!

Archived