onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Just throwing this out there playing ' Devils advocate'

Were Howkins to sign surely it has to be Legge and Howkins ?

Interested on other views, realise it is a squad game and formations will vary but for me they are the pairing.

Unless we go 3 at the back 3-5-2.

Advert

Pugh is a long way from being useless. Tonge was struggling a bit last season but worked hard. If we took away their 6 goals we would have been in deep trouble. How many did Hannant score?

You weren’t at Accrington then RZ I actually felt sorry for Pugh he was THAT bad!

Pugh is a long way from being useless. Tonge was struggling a bit last season but worked hard. If we took away their 6 goals we would have been in deep trouble. How many did Hannant score?

Tonge is a good player. He is fit for his age. I think he has good composure and distribution. He needs to play on a better pitch and in a better team to get the best out of him. I see him as really useful this season. Pugh did ok at left back, but I am less enthusiastic about his prospects this season.

Tonge is a good player. He is fit for his age. I think he has good composure and distribution. He needs to play on a better pitch and in a better team to get the best out of him. I see him as really useful this season. Pugh did ok at left back, but I am less enthusiastic about his prospects this season.

True. But lets just look at what could be our strongest 11 as of right now along with 7 subs.

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Worrall

Joyce

Oyeleke

Hannant

Pope

Miller

Leighton/Hornby

Rawlinson

Kaye

Pugh

Daniels

Angus

Quigley

Our starting 11 looks great. I think if we can add Howkins to the side and another half decent wide player, probably a loan, to the squad, we'll be laughing.

As things stand I think that won't be far off our starting 11 either, but I think Dodds and Kanu will be on the bench over Angus and Daniels.

I agree with other posters that if we got Howkins that he won't be coming here to sit on the bench. If Howkins signed and we did go 5 at the back I guess it would be.

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Howkins

Montano

Worrall

Joyce

Oyeleke

Pope

Miller

But I'm not sure if 5 at the back would be our starting formation. I'm not convinced Worrall is as effective in a more central role and it means we could be omitting someone like Hannant who the manager clearly rates. However I think with how the current squad stands we have the option to change formation if need be. I think it was Yeovil at home when Aspin changed it at half time and went 5 at the back and we got back in to the game and put them on the back foot. As good as Gibbons and Montano were last season at full back I still think Gibbons main strength is his defending, relying on him as the winger outlet at the expense of Worrall for me isn't as good an option as Worrall on the wing with Gibbons supporting in a more traditonal formation.

OK then I'll turn it the other way, Tonge and Pugh have way over 200 league games experience and they are useless. Whitfield hadn't played a league match before last season and probably scored the goal that kept us in the football league(metaphorically as I know Pope scored at Mansfield)

It all depends on the quality of the player you sign and what current form/ability they are at, all this we need experience crap is a myth imo.

I don't think either Pugh or Tonge were as bad, as useless or as crap throughout last season as some fans made out. Of course they both had bad moments last season, but at the same time I think they both have good qualities too. But playing them so often together though is a mistake, but that was down to the lack of options. Comparing them to Whitfield is like comparing apples to oranges. Whitfield is a different kind of player, able to produce magic one minute and then be a passenger and go missing for the next 20 minutes and thats exactly what we got with him - inconsistency. I'd put it this way, were some of the inexperienced players producing regularly more consistent performances than the experienced players like Tonge and Pugh? I'd say yes in some case, but in Whitfield's case I'd say no he wasn't. But that doesn't mean some of his contributions to the season weren't important because they were.

I don't think either Pugh or Tonge were as bad, as useless or as crap throughout last season as some fans made out. Of course they both had bad moments last season, but at the same time I think they both have good qualities too. But playing them so often together though is a mistake, but that was down to the lack of options. Comparing them to Whitfield is like comparing apples to oranges. Whitfield is a different kind of player, able to produce magic one minute and then be a passenger and go missing for the next 20 minutes and thats exactly what we got with him - inconsistency. I'd put it this way, were some of the inexperienced players producing regularly more consistent performances than the experienced players like Tonge and Pugh? I'd say yes in some case, but in Whitfield's case I'd say no he wasn't. But that doesn't mean some of his contributions to the season weren't important because they were.

Pugh, Tongue (and Kay) are players who will always be undervalued by fans and more highly rated by a manager. They are glue players who allow others to play around them. By doing the basics and getting to the right positions in a team shape defensively they don't really get noticed by supporters. At times Page had an issue with Streete because he lost his shape going after the big tackle .... which fans loved. Its the ability to do the extraordinary which fans love to see, managers like to see players who can consistently do the ordinary, which is a far more difficult thing for a footballer to achieve than many believe. Last season they got picked because they were better than the alternatives, my hope is this season we have got better alternatives but only time will tell.

Pugh, Tongue (and Kay) are players who will always be undervalued by fans and more highly rated by a manager. They are glue players who allow others to play around them. By doing the basics and getting to the right positions in a team shape defensively they don't really get noticed by supporters.

Its the ability to do the extraordinary which fans love to see, managers like to see players who can consistently do the ordinary, which is a far more difficult thing for a footballer to achieve than many believe.

:clap:

You weren’t at Accrington then RZ I actually felt sorry for Pugh he was THAT bad!

Pugh at Accrington was no worse than the rest of the totally overrun back 4. Kay and tonge just stood inside a 5m square patch whilst their midfield and wingers pushed right on past them and in some cases left us 6 v 4 at the back.

Pugh at Accrington was no worse than the rest of the totally overrun back 4. Kay and tonge just stood inside a 5m square patch whilst their midfield and wingers pushed right on past them and in some cases left us 6 v 4 at the back.

Ok if Dodds puts in any stinker like Pugh did that day you’d be all over him

Glue factory players more like. Pair of them ought to have been shipped off to the knackers yard.

Tonge i would say is gone, Pugh and Kay with mobile players around them have something to offer. The issue in my opinion last year was playing three of them at once made life easy for anyone with a bit of pace to get between them and in behind the midfield easily exposing the back 4. It also meant we couldnt push up and pressure teams as kay and tonge either got marooned in the centre circle or sat on the CBs toes

Archived