onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where do we go from here?

RayWalkers40yarder

Some folk have short memories it seems. Maybe it was preferable fighting for survival in the league below under Smurf. Win on Tuesday and we go 10th in L1!

Yesterday was a bad result in a game that actually didn’t have huge difference between two fairly average sides. It followed defeats against two sides with massive budgets compared to our own, both of whom played 2 leagues higher than us last season.

Success this season was staying up. It would remain a success to do so. We are on course to do that and I’m confident we will do it once we get our frontline strikers back in.

Are things perfect? No. Are there some signs that change is required? Yes, absolutely there are. But some folk need to get a grip - it’s been way way worse in very recent history.

Advert

2 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Some folk have short memories it seems. Maybe it was preferable fighting for survival in the league below under Smurf. Win on Tuesday and we go 10th in L1!

Yesterday was a bad result in a game that actually didn’t have huge difference between two fairly average sides. It followed defeats against two sides with massive budgets compared to our own, both of whom played 2 leagues higher than us last season.

Success this season was staying up. It would remain a success to do so. We are on course to do that and I’m confident we will do it once we get our frontline strikers back in.

Are things perfect? Are there some signs that change is required? Yes, absolutely there are. But some folk need to get a grip - it’s been way way worse in very recent t

The sheer naivety of some "supporters" is actually frightening. 

2 hours ago, gavcradd said:

attendance on Tuesday will be the lowest league gate of the season and that's entirely Flickers and the recruitment team's fault.

So if we win on Tuesday and the absent fans miss it, is that their own "fault"? Isn't the sheer unpredictability of football its biggest appeal?

We're due a home win and I'm confident we'll get it. 

1 minute ago, saintvaliant said:

Are things perfect? Are there some signs that change is required? Yes, absolutely there are. But some folk need to get a grip - it’s been way way worse in very recent history.

Just looked and realised that Fleetwood lost at home and they spent big and FGR spent big and they lost at home................Just imagine.

Short memories indeed.

I'm currently looking for a new house.

I'm very excited at the prospect of a number of houses becoming available in the North Stoke-on-Trent area when all of these Vale fans that say we need to spend big on some new players contribute to the cause by selling their homes to pay for the wages of the big players they want to sign!

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Nobody is saying we’re broke.  You can see how these stories work it’s Chinese whispers.  One minute we’ve made a few business decisions to save money and the next it’s taken as gospel that we’re skint.  The fact we’ve signed a “big name” striker, albeit mildly injured, doesn’t seem to register with some people, who are more focused on the lack of pies at halftime.

Not a post aimed at you Ray… your Chinese whispers comment is really relevant so quoting that as a sentiment. 

This is why the “in the know” mentality is dangerous… with all the best intentions in the world, it’s going to get (mis)interpreted, the narrative lost and it will take on a life of its own.

People will have their own motivation for sharing… feeling important, trying to help, trying to keep fellow fans informed, just being a busy body… who knows. But it’s a bit of a flawed game unless you are given and give the full story. 

My personal view…

Performance wise, we are having a sticky patch in a higher league. People can tangle that up with their dislike for Flitcroft all you want, but it’s an anger over results and lashing out at a man who brought us the manager, is professionalising the football side of things from top to bottom and oversaw the promotion we all desperately wanted (what have the Romans ever done for us).

Yes Taylor has a knock… he’s a proven goal scorer, something you were all DESPERATE to sign. If we were winning you wouldn’t mind… so don’t tell me it’s not the results because you are kidding yourselves.

Financially, who knows what’s going on, there are clearly lots of moving pieces and unless you are Carol or on the board you don’t know them all. 

What I do know is that these owners have the clubs best interests at heart rather than their own. And this management team has delivered an outcome that we were all so desperate for.

I think they earned our trust and therefore support the first time things get tough and they certainly earned our respect.

Lots of people have reset their expectations scarily quickly. Let Stoke being unhappy ‘just existing’ in the Prem be a lesson.

Are things perfect? No. Are there some signs that change is required? Yes, absolutely there are. But some folk need to get a grip - it’s been way way worse in very recent history.
I get what you are saying but we should be a forward thinking club .
It has been a lot worse for sure but fans are not going be accepting of mediocrity because most of us have forgot about Sinnott Gannon Brown Aspin Ribiero reigns .
We were dreadful in majority of games managed by these managers .
Just because we are happy with our position in league and we are doesn't mean the fans cannot criticise what they have seen if not to the level they expect .
The stuff of the pitch needs be nipped in the bud for sure as negative press can cause a snowball effect .
It may be the reason why performances have trailed off 1 point in 12 is quite frankly horrific so as much as I'd like Happy clap I along with many others cannot .
In one season Rudge had a 18 game without a win scenario years ago because we couldn't hit a barns door .
The margins are similiar this season there's no room for any more poor displays especially at home where your main sales points should be .
The players need step up now are they capable yes for sure are they consistently capable No and that's why I like many others have a distrust of them .
UTV

11 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

It certainly isn’t bad at all, although Smurfwaite too had a promotion and under Page had a strong league 1 finish too just outside the playoffs. 

I don’t think this is built on the same insecure foundations but fans are right to worry because if the money runs out, no matter how well run the club, competing simply isn’t possible in this era. 

12 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

We've lost 3 of the last 4, scoring one goal in that time. Not having our main strikers available obviously doesnt help, but 1) Even with them available we're hardly full of goals, and 2) We all know it will only be a matter of time before Wilson is missing for X number of games again once he does come back. He's a liability. He will come back, take 3 or 4 games of looking poor to get up to speed, look good for a few games and score a goal or two, and then get injured again. Rinse and repeat.

Add to that losing three players in the transfer window and only managing to bring two in, and therefore weakening an already stretched squad, I just don't see how anybody can't be concerned about where we are are currently heading after a promising start.

Hope this little ditty isn't too boring. 

I'm in my 50's my dad took me as a 5 year old. I've been ever since. Good, mainly bad . All part of supporting a lower league team. I took my son as a 4 year old. 20 years later he's as keen as ever.

However v Sheff wed I took my son-in-law and 8 year old grandson for the first time ( called themselves Man City fans despite never going ) . First 5 games they went we were 1-1-3 . They have only seen us win twice in 9 games  v Charlton and Morecambe.  On Saturday I could sense the angst and dissatisfaction of the dad who was mumbling about it being crap and never winning. These ' floaters ' are the very reason we need an ok finish to the season with a few home wins or they might not be back. Fickle indeed but at the moment I don't class them as proper Vale fans. That sounds harsh but they've jumped on the bandwagon which is great it's how we build the fanbase. But getting through to them that this is Port Vale not the Premier league money pit is difficult. We certainly need a few home wins to stop the new natives getting restless. I'm used to the trials and tribulations. What we must try and do is keep the newbies. Winning football games does that.

I did say it would be a  boring post!! 

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Hope this little ditty isn't too boring. 

I'm in my 50's my dad took me as a 5 year old. I've been ever since. Good, mainly bad . All part of supporting a lower league team. I took my son as a 4 year old. 20 years later he's as keen as ever.

However v Sheff wed I took my son-in-law and 8 year old grandson for the first time ( called themselves Man City fans despite never going ) . First 5 games they went we were 1-1-3 . They have only seen us win twice in 9 games  v Charlton and Morecambe.  On Saturday I could sense the angst and dissatisfaction of the dad who was mumbling about it being crap and never winning. These ' floaters ' are the very reason we need an ok finish to the season with a few home wins or they might not be back. Fickle indeed but at the moment I don't class them as proper Vale fans. That sounds harsh but they've jumped on the bandwagon which is great it's how we build the fanbase. But getting through to them that this is Port Vale not the Premier league money pit is difficult. We certainly need a few home wins to stop the new natives getting restless. I'm used to the trials and tribulations. What we must try and do is keep the newbies. Winning football games does that.

I did say it would be a  boring post!! 

It is tough being a long time fan. I first went with my father and a close family friend. He had attended for years Old Rec etc. He (the family friend), used to get me in for nowt. Under the turnstile. Got a bit harder when I was 14 🙂 and he but me on his shoulders. "How much for the little one". 

One thing he never saw was the Vale @ Wembley and that really gets me. Years of following the Vale and some great teams to. But not that. 

Archived