onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where do we go from here?

RayWalkers40yarder

I think the club have to hold their hands up and accept that they’re partially to blame for a percentage of the negativity. The phrase ‘Championship Ready’, a lot of ppl would have brought into that and expected it this season. Could be the individuals interpretation of this that’s fuelling the negativity. Fans are fickle and do expect to win every week, which we all know isn’t possible for any team. I do accept though some of the comments regarding the quality of performance and that is the main thing for me. I just want at the final whistle, win, lose or draw to think well we give it a go and it just wasn’t good enough today. This gives me the belief that if we play well and lose the next time we play well, we’ll win. Let’s see where we are at the end of the month as we’ll have a better idea as to what this season holds for us.

KTF

Advert

54 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

It is a step up, the general quality is similar in a lot of area's but crucially teams are more clinical and organised, especially the top ones.

We get punished for most error's which in League Two doesn't happen, in terms the general quality of football is lower league and similar but L1 is more refined in terms of the key ends of the pitch.

It’s a big step up to the top 6 but not a massive step up to achieve mid table if you get promoted.

the teams which went down to division 2 currently sit at 12th, 15th, 18th and 23rd,

the teams that came up last season sit 11th, 13th, 14th and 24th.

We have a weaker first 11 than last season, Exeter bought 2 players pre season and FGR are imploding with losing their manager and the chairman starting to lose interest. 

I expected us to finish mid table this season with the squad we had and if bought wisely could achieve play offs all though unlikely, I did expect Bristol Rovers to challenge for the play offs. For me anything worse than 16th this season is a disappointment. We are starting to move backwards at the moment for the first time since Carol took over, I do hope this is just a temporary glitch and we can make some quality signings in the summer, get the pitch sorted,  move the Bycars to the way end and get the Lorne Street open fully, oh, and get some more grub in so it at least lasts till 2nd half.

50 minutes ago, WV said:

This is how I see it. Would Forest for example be expected to mount a title challenge next season? We have some fans expecting or demanding a promotion next year and they are not going to be happy when unrealistic demands aren't met. 

Who has demanded that? I haven’t seen anyone even expecting promotion next season let alone demand it.

9 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think the club have to hold their hands up and accept that they’re partially to blame for a percentage of the negativity. The phrase ‘Championship Ready’, a lot of ppl would have brought into that and expected it this season. Could be the individuals interpretation of this that’s fuelling the negativity. Fans are fickle and do expect to win every week, which we all know isn’t possible for any team. I do accept though some of the comments regarding the quality of performance and that is the main thing for me. I just want at the final whistle, win, lose or draw to think well we give it a go and it just wasn’t good enough today. This gives me the belief that if we play well and lose the next time we play well, we’ll win. Let’s see where we are at the end of the month as we’ll have a better idea as to what this season holds for us.

KTF

What do they mean by championship ready? Fix the bogs, get the Lorne street completed and sort out the grub and we would still have the worst ground in the championship, only Luton have a worse ground than us and they are building a new ground. Our facilities are way behind any team in the championship, we can only compete with those clubs on the pitch, not off it.

14 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

What do they mean by championship ready? Fix the bogs, get the Lorne street completed and sort out the grub and we would still have the worst ground in the championship, only Luton have a worse ground than us and they are building a new ground. Our facilities are way behind any team in the championship, we can only compete with those clubs on the pitch, not off it.

Phil, I’d have thought most of us would have seen it like that, but others I’ve spoken to see it as playing in a higher league. Talking about a Potteries Derby. I appreciate you shouldn’t need to be to specific but with some fans still riding the wave of promotion that’s how they’ve interpreted the statement. 

30 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Who has demanded that? I haven’t seen anyone even expecting promotion next season let alone demand it.

Ive seen a few posters saying we should be making a push for promotion next season. Consolidate this year and promotion next year. 

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

It’s a big step up to the top 6 but not a massive step up to achieve mid table if you get promoted.

the teams which went down to division 2 currently sit at 12th, 15th, 18th and 23rd,

the teams that came up last season sit 11th, 13th, 14th and 24th.

We have a weaker first 11 than last season, Exeter bought 2 players pre season and FGR are imploding with losing their manager and the chairman starting to lose interest. 

I expected us to finish mid table this season with the squad we had and if bought wisely could achieve play offs all though unlikely, I did expect Bristol Rovers to challenge for the play offs. For me anything worse than 16th this season is a disappointment. We are starting to move backwards at the moment for the first time since Carol took over, I do hope this is just a temporary glitch and we can make some quality signings in the summer, get the pitch sorted,  move the Bycars to the way end and get the Lorne Street open fully, oh, and get some more grub in so it at least lasts till 2nd half.

I think the table as it stands would suggest more like top 9 or 10 rather than top 6.

If you think our first choice 11 is weaker than last season do you mean what would be our actual first choice from a fully fit squad or the team we’re having to field due to injury?  I just think that it’s rare we can field our first choice so we’re bound to look weaker up against better opponents than we faced last season.  Also, when you say FGR owner has lost interest and then look at their recruitment in the window, and their new “big name” manager, it doesn’t suggest to me that Vince has lost interest.  Far from it, he’s pushed the boat out big time in an effort to stay up.

16 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think the table as it stands would suggest more like top 9 or 10 rather than top 6.

If you think our first choice 11 is weaker than last season do you mean what would be our actual first choice from a fully fit squad or the team we’re having to field due to injury?  I just think that it’s rare we can field our first choice so we’re bound to look weaker up against better opponents than we faced last season.  Also, when you say FGR owner has lost interest and then look at their recruitment in the window, and their new “big name” manager, it doesn’t suggest to me that Vince has lost interest.  Far from it, he’s pushed the boat out big time in an effort to stay up.

If you look at our dismal scoring record (5th worst in this league) and our very poor goal difference (17th in this divison) it suggest we're more likely to be lucky to finish any higher than between 17th & 15th and this is assuming the current worrying slump can be reversed pretty damn quickly.  Any continuance of our current poor form and we may even end up in an end of season relegation scrap!

• robf changed the title to Where do we go from here?
On 05/02/2023 at 15:52, mr.hobblesworth said:

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?

Possibly, but for a League 1 Football Club to lose/sack:

- Head of academy

- Comms Director

- Stadium Manager

- Head of Social Media

- Head Groundsman

- Head of Foundation

within 12 months is a bit crazy. No wonder rumours are flying - a load of people probably cheesed off. 

Because no one believes me when I do
Clarke applied for the Pompey job. Didn’t get it as his compensation was too high. There’s one. I’ve said it before and been told I’m lying, hence not going in detail. 
If true well done Carol our biggest asset is our manager .
Why should they get him cheaper he is a great man motivator .
I'm.sure he did apply for managers job when your as good as him .
I love his straight forward way of speaking never used listen to our pre match and after match comments from many previous managers as I think they were bullshitting but DC genuinely is great he sees the game how I see it mainly .
There's a lot wrong with the ground ,pitch etc but there's nowt wrong with the staff at the club coming out when a Vale fan dies applauding them etc a very humble and lovely thing do .
Let's forget and forgive the last 3 home results and move on .
It's not good to reminisce you always got look forwards at any point in life it could be your last game your last chance shout for Vale .
Wembley is a mere memory now we have to make new memories .
For me the season starts tomoz
UTV

15 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I won't repeat what you've deleted but if you are in touch with someone who 'knows stuff', do you think we should be worried? I'd presumed we were just having some restructuring possibly due to increased payments on loans or something. Thought the days of dishonesty were behind us.

Possibly, but for a League 1 Football Club to lose/sack:
- Head of academy
- Comms Director
- Stadium Manager
- Head of Social Media
- Head Groundsman
- Head of Foundation
within 12 months is a bit crazy. No wonder rumours are flying - a load of people probably cheesed off. 
You need a wooden spoon,. ...

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

Archived