onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite

Beza

Shows how some minds work having to put labels on people, I make my own opinions and dont follow anyone or group religiously like some ,but sometimes people who have a 100% biased view no matter what only make everything fit their remit which is quite sad and narrow minded.

Can't believe people are still defending the idiot.

He has had four years to improve our club but we are in a worse place than when he started.He continues to make the same mistakes despite people last season telling him we needed a smaller squad of quality players we have a large squad of old crocks and young kids.This won't change overnight next seasons n as there are no foundations to build thn. So it's start afresh againOther clubs have been relegated and not managed to escape from Div 2.We are in the same position as Lleyton Orient were last year and look where they are now.

For ref: I voted in the pole for norman to sell but to the right buyer (this must make me a smurf licker ) - he has made huge errors of judgement in many areas of running the club which is a fact no-one can deny.

However i try to look at it from an alternative perspective to try to gain a much rounded opinion with the information banded about and try to understand what is Norms motivation/position and put myself in his shoes.

My take is he isnt a football man but a successful business man who knows how to make money which is the motivation for all business small and large, football is a different prospect entirely whereby profit is usually in the minority therefore this has to backed up by ownership top ups or debt presumably offset against other profitable business portfolio's.

Again my opinion the club debt shows Norman has spent money (not wisely) & had a go on the way he saw fit as it seems the page era was costing more outlay than was incoming monies which he didnt want to continue subsidising - The Bruno saga he seems to have trusted the wrong people and gone down a different route (had a great start albeit the entertainment wasnt great it gave hope we could kick on & that things could improve as we were winning when playing badly)sadly it got worse resulting in our current position.

The ground being separated from the main business is good business practice as it protects the assets if the business fails but do also understand concerns it could be used as a cash cow as you charge yourself rent or sell off individually.

My opinion he does care in some way about PVFC (the fact he has spent money(otherwise why would he bother) plus seen serving tea should show this)but also isnt willing to keep using his wealth to prop us up , the next step is massive for all of us and our team/club, he either has to invest more money & learn from the mistakes and keep whats good improve what isnt within budget both on/off the pitch or sell to new owners who will also still need to do this for stability and then growth.

Stability is key going forward so happy to stay with norm if the above happens happy to have new owners if the above happens

just my observations

Ian -[/quote

See above

Can't believe people are still supported the idiot.

He is a control freak who won't listen to advice and has taken us to a poorer lace than when he took over.He isn't a successful businessman he has just been lucky.When Paul Wildes went he lost any chance he had to make a success.

How many times has he been told that we need quality players in a small squad instead of cheap options from Woolworths.

If we get relegated don't expect a quick return because there are no foundations to build on and unless he is willing to pump loads of money in to improve that.

I fully expect him to throw his toys out of his Pram as he cant take criticism and say he isn't that investing any more cash.

So stick with Norman and we will be like Leyton Orient next season.

Advert

As for Synetics, running a football club isn't the same as running a business. Very few clubs make a profit outside of the Premier League, most require large amounts of money to be ploughed in by the owners to keep the club going. Is there any proof that Synetics have that amount of cash? Running a football club is a completely different kettle of fish to running a football club. As for them being Vale fans, yeah remind me what happened the last time Vale fans ran the club? That's irrelevant.

I pointed folk to Rochdale's accounts a week ago. No one throws money at them yet they aren't in enormous amounts of debt and are on the verge of the play offs. They have much smaller gates than us but live within their means. Keith Hill has nothing but praise for the way the Board and chairman manage the club and understand what needs to be done on the football side to make progress.

Running a football club is not that different from any business. You put proper structures in place, you live within your means and you do everything you can off the field to increase those means - the latter we have never done under Norman as far as I can tell.

I pointed folk to Rochdale's accounts a week ago. No one throws money at them yet they aren't in enormous amounts of debt and are on the verge of the play offs. They have much smaller gates than us but live within their means. Keith Hill has nothing but praise for the way the Board and chairman manage the club and understand what needs to be done on the football side to make progress.

Running a football club is not that different from any business. You put proper structures in place, you live within your means and you do everything you can off the field to increase those means - the latter we have never done under Norman as far as I can tell.

Wasn't it the Chairman at Rochdale who said that he couldn't believe how much we pay our players and how little we pay the manager when Page was in charge

Shows how some minds work having to put labels on people, I make my own opinions and dont follow anyone or group religiously like some ,but sometimes people who have a 100% biased view no matter what only make everything fit their remit which is quite sad and narrow minded.

For ref: I voted in the pole for norman to sell but to the right buyer (this must make me a smurf licker ) - he has made huge errors of judgement in many areas of running the club which is a fact no-one can deny.

However i try to look at it from an alternative perspective to try to gain a much rounded opinion with the information banded about and try to understand what is Norms motivation/position and put myself in his shoes.

My take is he isnt a football man but a successful business man who knows how to make money which is the motivation for all business small and large, football is a different prospect entirely whereby profit is usually in the minority therefore this has to backed up by ownership top ups or debt presumably offset against other profitable business portfolio's.

Again my opinion the club debt shows Norman has spent money (not wisely) & had a go on the way he saw fit as it seems the page era was costing more outlay than was incoming monies which he didnt want to continue subsidising - The Bruno saga he seems to have trusted the wrong people and gone down a different route (had a great start albeit the entertainment wasnt great it gave hope we could kick on & that things could improve as we were winning when playing badly)sadly it got worse resulting in our current position.

The ground being separated from the main business is good business practice as it protects the assets if the business fails but do also understand concerns it could be used as a cash cow as you charge yourself rent or sell off individually.

My opinion he does care in some way about PVFC (the fact he has spent money(otherwise why would he bother) plus seen serving tea should show this)but also isnt willing to keep using his wealth to prop us up , the next step is massive for all of us and our team/club, he either has to invest more money & learn from the mistakes and keep whats good improve what isnt within budget both on/off the pitch or sell to new owners who will also still need to do this for stability and then growth.

Stability is key going forward so happy to stay with norm if the above happens happy to have new owners if the above happens

just my observations

Ian -

Your sentiments are all well and good mate but the evidence is stacked out there that points to the man will not learn from his mistakes.

The crux of the matter is this...... He simply hasn't a clue as how to run a successful football club.

I'm all for stability like you say. It's the most important thing at a club. But how can you back a chairman who, last summer, ripped up stability on the playing side like a man possessed?!

A few supporters have said that he can still turn this around if he holds his hands up and sorts out his mistakes. I've said that too previously. But that's passed now. This is one time too many and support has turned massively on him.

Like a previous poster said, Rochdale live well in their means on gates of 3000. Other teams are well run and not in debt on gates lower. Why can't we be?

Do you actually TRUST this man to build a solid foundation for the club to move us forward? I certainly don't. And like I've said the evidence is overwhelming that we will sink further under his tenure.

In my opinion he will not sell unless he is forced to. Supporters, when they turn, can be very powerful. And I honestly believe at Fleetwood, if we go down, there will be very ugly scenes.

If he sells (and I don't care who to) there is hope again. Reignited hope.

If he stays, supporters will walk away and the club will die a slow death.

He is now the cancer at the very heart of OUR club. Not his, like some suggest. He is just a custodian.

If he had any sort of feeling for the club he would sell up. And I know yours and others question would be "To who?" "Nobody will buy it"

So when I say sell up, I mean set the price somewhat realistic. Nobody will pay in excess of 5 million for us when he bought it for 1.3 and its arguably in a worse state than when he bought it!

His huge mistakes have been made with his money which he has loaned us. Loaned. It's frightening! And he wants it back??! Well, I'm sorry, but OUR football club shouldn't be accountable because of the mans massive blunders in trying to get a quick fix to the championship.

A lot of people this week stating we could be the next Leyton Orient. I totall echo those thoughts and 6 months ago got absolutely ridiculed for stating it back then. If you read about what has happened to that club, with directors loans as well, it mirrors what's happening here. And people still can't see it.

Reality will hit home at 2pm on Sunday April 30th should we go down. It's a scenario I'm dreading but it's not looking great.

Luckily we are only a few miles from Blackpool so we can drop off 95% of the players on the beach with their friends and the owner back at the circus where he belongs.

Agree completely and thought that was why we brought in Garlick from Rochdale. Doesn't seem to have worked so far though.

I find it hard to believe that he can't find anyone he can delegate that task to.

Maybe the staff member that should work there turned up for work in their car.They were not allowed on the car park so turned the around and went home. :wink:

If the Boston Hedge Fund and Norman were the only options now would people go for the Hedge Fund group as it stands despite the risks that might come with them?

Just interested

What do you know about them and their plans for the club?

Some sense.

People act as if Smurf financially supporting us is a sign of him being a good chairman. Whilst it shows that he does want the best for us, it magnifies the woeful inadequacies of his tenure if that level of personal investment is needed to keep the club afloat.

Archived