onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite

Beza

Desperately seeing Mr. Hobblesworth and Yukon scramble to every anti-Norman thread to either label it as 'boring', 'childish', or bizarrely, wanting Smurf to stay 'out of spite' is one of the most entertaining things I've seen.

I await the arrival of the other members of the Smurthwaite Defence League - Carpetman123, elav trop 1876, your city need you.

I've never said I wanted him to stay, I'm just not making a fool of myself like you.

Advert

My guess is that Smurfs confidence has been shattered.

My impression is that he wanted to be the club's saviour and to enjoy the adulation that came with that.

Sadly, his maverick, blustery, tough guy approach has, inevitably, failed.

He now cuts a very lonely, isolated, needy figure.

Allegedly, he has never failed.

Well, he has now!

Well, resilience comes from failure.

Now is the time to discover the strengths of humility

Stop bluffing and connect with people who can help out.

Simply listening would be a good start.

If you're not embarrassing yourself with childish abuse re Smurf, then you're in a love in according to the OVF ***** collective. Ignore the ***** *****

But I wasn't saying that. Twitters was mistaken, assumed incorrectly I was referring to him as supporting Smurf (I understand why he thought that given the way I structured my reply. I was using my phone) so the whole part of his post where he's talking about bandwagon etc was irrelevant, as he was replying to something that wasn't directed at him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using the onevalefan mobile app

My guess is that Smurfs confidence has been shattered.

My impression is that he wanted to be the club's saviour and to enjoy the adulation that came with that.

Sadly, his maverick, blustery, tough guy approach has, inevitably, failed.

He now cuts a very lonely, isolated, needy figure.

Allegedly, he has never failed.

Well, he has now!

Well, resilience comes from failure.

Now is the time to discover the strengths of humility

Stop bluffing and connect with people who can help out.

Simply listening would be a good start.

There are 2 options, with him or without him. Can he put a plan up that will build trust with the fans? Is it within his personality to do so, has he got the drive to do so? Otherwise an orderly and quick handover to someone else promising they can, or just somebody willing to take over?

Holding his hands up properly, and reaching out for help he can still turn things round (ish) with me.

However his stubbornness will mean that will never happen.

I don't think that he sees that he is the problem. I don't even think its just stubborness.

He'll feel he's just been let down by people.

Smurthwaite Defence League? Is this how pathetic it's become? Just because someone doesn't want the guy out of the club at any cost? Christ.

Shows how some minds work having to put labels on people, I make my own opinions and dont follow anyone or group religiously like some ,but sometimes people who have a 100% biased view no matter what only make everything fit their remit which is quite sad and narrow minded.

For ref: I voted in the pole for norman to sell but to the right buyer (this must make me a smurf licker ) - he has made huge errors of judgement in many areas of running the club which is a fact no-one can deny.

However i try to look at it from an alternative perspective to try to gain a much rounded opinion with the information banded about and try to understand what is Norms motivation/position and put myself in his shoes.

My take is he isnt a football man but a successful business man who knows how to make money which is the motivation for all business small and large, football is a different prospect entirely whereby profit is usually in the minority therefore this has to backed up by ownership top ups or debt presumably offset against other profitable business portfolio's.

Again my opinion the club debt shows Norman has spent money (not wisely) & had a go on the way he saw fit as it seems the page era was costing more outlay than was incoming monies which he didnt want to continue subsidising - The Bruno saga he seems to have trusted the wrong people and gone down a different route (had a great start albeit the entertainment wasnt great it gave hope we could kick on & that things could improve as we were winning when playing badly)sadly it got worse resulting in our current position.

The ground being separated from the main business is good business practice as it protects the assets if the business fails but do also understand concerns it could be used as a cash cow as you charge yourself rent or sell off individually.

My opinion he does care in some way about PVFC (the fact he has spent money(otherwise why would he bother) plus seen serving tea should show this)but also isnt willing to keep using his wealth to prop us up , the next step is massive for all of us and our team/club, he either has to invest more money & learn from the mistakes and keep whats good improve what isnt within budget both on/off the pitch or sell to new owners who will also still need to do this for stability and then growth.

Stability is key going forward so happy to stay with norm if the above happens happy to have new owners if the above happens

just my observations

Ian -

Its getting desperate now mate. Its over. Accept you were wrong and move on.

Admit what?! I don't particularly want him at the club either and I've never been very pro-Smurthwaite in the past. You don't seem to understand that people can hope he sells without despising everything about him, refusing to accept that he's robbing us all blind and wanting him out at any cost. I don't come on here to defend Smurthwaite (and haven't done for a long time) but there is a middle ground, y'know?

Probably enjoying saving a couple of Bob on wages.

Unfortunaely that's the way his mind works. He's so short sighted. Seen plenty of evidence of it over the years. He'd prioritise saving £40 over presenting a professional image of the club to sponsors in an attempt to bring in more money longer term.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using the onevalefan mobile app

Shows how some minds work having to put labels on people, I make my own opinions and dont follow anyone or group religiously like some ,but sometimes people who have a 100% biased view no matter what only make everything fit their remit which is quite sad and narrow minded.

Can't believe people are still defending the idiot.

He has had four years to improve our club but we are in a worse place than when he started.He continues to make the same mistakes despite people last season telling him we needed a smaller squad of quality players we have a large squad of old crocks and young kids.This won't change overnight next seasons n as there are no foundations to build thn. So it's start afresh againOther clubs have been relegated and not managed to escape from Div 2.We are in the same position as Lleyton Orient were last year and look where they are now.

For ref: I voted in the pole for norman to sell but to the right buyer (this must make me a smurf licker ) - he has made huge errors of judgement in many areas of running the club which is a fact no-one can deny.

However i try to look at it from an alternative perspective to try to gain a much rounded opinion with the information banded about and try to understand what is Norms motivation/position and put myself in his shoes.

My take is he isnt a football man but a successful business man who knows how to make money which is the motivation for all business small and large, football is a different prospect entirely whereby profit is usually in the minority therefore this has to backed up by ownership top ups or debt presumably offset against other profitable business portfolio's.

Again my opinion the club debt shows Norman has spent money (not wisely) & had a go on the way he saw fit as it seems the page era was costing more outlay than was incoming monies which he didnt want to continue subsidising - The Bruno saga he seems to have trusted the wrong people and gone down a different route (had a great start albeit the entertainment wasnt great it gave hope we could kick on & that things could improve as we were winning when playing badly)sadly it got worse resulting in our current position.

The ground being separated from the main business is good business practice as it protects the assets if the business fails but do also understand concerns it could be used as a cash cow as you charge yourself rent or sell off individually.

My opinion he does care in some way about PVFC (the fact he has spent money(otherwise why would he bother) plus seen serving tea should show this)but also isnt willing to keep using his wealth to prop us up , the next step is massive for all of us and our team/club, he either has to invest more money & learn from the mistakes and keep whats good improve what isnt within budget both on/off the pitch or sell to new owners who will also still need to do this for stability and then growth.

Stability is key going forward so happy to stay with norm if the above happens happy to have new owners if the above happens

just my observations

Ian -[/quote

See above

He's got the ground.

Whatever happens and whatever price he gets for the club, he'll be able to rent the ground back for 300/400k per season. It'll take new owners a minimum of 5 years to plan and move to a new stadium in which case he'll have recouped his failed investment in the club. And that's best case scenario. I fear the reality is much worse.

The ground rent, in the event of the club being sold, was fixed by the Football League for a specific length of time. It's around £100-150K, can't remember exactly.

Archived