onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dan Jones.

ollyandpatch

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
41 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:
Certainly has the ability, just needs to add consistency. Let's hope he can do that over the second half of the season!

Do you not think that he is already? For me, he's been our most consistently good performer since he got back into the side. Only Smith, I think, can say the same. The rest have all thrown in at least 1 stinker, but I don't think you can say that of Jones

Agreed. DJ had a bit of a shaky game at Barnsley away but since then he's been fantastic 

Advert

Agreed. DJ had a bit of a shaky game at Barnsley away but since then he's been fantastic 
Plus I think he's played both of the only genuinely quality and intended through balls that we've played this season. One was at home recently (I forget who against) and the other on Friday

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:
54 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:
Certainly has the ability, just needs to add consistency. Let's hope he can do that over the second half of the season!

Do you not think that he is already? For me, he's been our most consistently good performer since he got back into the side. Only Smith, I think, can say the same. The rest have all thrown in at least 1 stinker, but I don't think you can say that of Jones

Don't get me wrong, I think he's played well for a number of games. I think he played against Rotherham in the Carabao and was watching him thinking 'he's going to be in the first 11 soon'. However, at that time Connor wasn't playing great.

What I want to see from him (or any player for that matter) is to perform well over a longer period than half a season and just make sure he doesn't allow any silly mistakes/lack of concentration get into his game.

He seems to be progressing well - long may it continue! 

I said it early on last season, and again on Friday night, he's the closest thing we've had to Deano since the man himself, a defender with a bit more time and class on the ball than almost any other CB at our level (and similar to Deano, prone to the occasional howler or casual moment!).

For me, the conundrum was always that Jones and Benning didn't work well together, and Benning played better with Hall. That was fine second half of last season, but then at the start of this season Hall was struggling and Jones was looking like the superior player. So it looked like you either had to hope Hall played himself into form, and bench Jones, (who is the best passer amongst our group of CBs), or sacrifice some of Benning's effectiveness.

Switching Jones to the centre is a masterstroke that seems to have solved that, as you keep Hall and Benning together, plus Jones being left-sided is better at sweeping in behind Hall. And Jones striding out of defence centrally with the ball gives him more angles to spray his passes, rather than just aiming to switch to Worrall all the time; can give either Benning or Worrall something to run on to, or get us into the channels earlier with balls in to Butterworth and Wilson. Just more for the opposition to think about than when Smith was the one coming forward with the ball.

My lad plays for a local U7s team, and has decided he wants to be just like Dan Jones. That'll do me!

It's great there's so much competition and DJ definitely deserves a lot of credit for his performances this season.

It wasn't that long ago that Forrester was being hailed as the big star and now he may struggle to get back into the starting XI (which is only a good thing for the strength of the squad).

It's the same for Lewis Cass, who hasn't hit the heights this season, but is young and also has plenty of time to come good. 

I doubted DJ, honestly thought he was a player who would move on BUT played his way back to form and fitness. The switch to the central CB he has looked outstanding. Basically passing range of Walker but can defend properly as well. I  think he’s really improved massively as a defender over the last 12 months. One of the 1st names on the team sheet at the moment and gives us a different option how to play at LCB or as s spare man at CB. Very very few defenders at this level with his passing ability.

No mention yet of his long throws.  I know many have said no/few goals have resulted from these but Danny B’s volley/half volley from just outside the box in the first half Friday came from a poor defensive header from DJ’s long throw so though they might not land on a Vale head and lead to direct goal threats they do cause opposition defences problems.  Useful to have in the locker too when we get throws in our defensive half - pushes us up the field further when we’re under the cosh.

23 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

Until Newport away last year Jones looked fine. Silly sending off and injuries thereafter meant he barely played again.

I wasn’t sure if he could step up to L1 but in recent games he’s been excellent.

could give gibbo a lesson!😄

Superb passer of a ball 

Good in the air 

Good at block tackles 

When he was out of the team and appeared to be nowhere near the starting 11,I questioned his value to the club. I stand corrected. Well done DJ...I hope you stay fit for the rest of the season...the back 3 is the best defensive 3 IMO..they match up well.

Long may it continue

1 hour ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

No mention yet of his long throws.  I know many have said no/few goals have resulted from these but Danny B’s volley/half volley from just outside the box in the first half Friday came from a poor defensive header from DJ’s long throw so though they might not land on a Vale head and lead to direct goal threats they do cause opposition defences problems.  Useful to have in the locker too when we get throws in our defensive half - pushes us up the field further when we’re under the cosh.

That throw from DJ and Butterworth's shot were the highlight of the first half for me. It was a terrific volley and I doubt if many other goalies than Cooper would have got anywhere near it. If it had gone in, it would have been goal of the season and left me wondering whether anyone in the squad has a harder shot. All sparked by DJ's spectacular throw and more to come, hopefully.  

Archived