onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

27 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Why have we got 3 LWBs?

I assumed Hussey might be on his way but after MK Dons, it doesn't look like it.

According to DC, Hussey has had a long-term injury and I presume even if the club did want to get rid, it's pretty hard to get rid of an injured player. There's still a couple of weeks left of the window though. 

Advert

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You could argue its 4

Benning Hussey Small Jones 

All can play there 

To get the best out of Hussey we have to adapt to his left footedness. I am not happy with the ease opposition teams close down the whole left wing in open play when he's wingback. I think he has much to offer by way of crosses from corners and freekicks and defensively. But it's unacceptable to just give up left wing play by 50 yard passes back to the keeper when the opposition just adopt sensible defensive positions. Benning doesn't do that!

I like Small and think for age he is very promising indeed. 

5 minutes ago, robf said:

According to DC, Hussey has had a long-term injury and I presume even if the club did want to get rid, it's pretty hard to get rid of an injured player. There's still a couple of weeks left of the window though. 

I think it could be taken that we have 3 LCHs. The players under discussion are all likely better there, but Hall has the shirt. 

If we are to play Hussey or Jones at LWB then to me the better thing to do is play 442. I appreciate that isn't likely to happen and so I only want to see attacking LWB and the surplus should be managed someway. 

13 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange that. I and a couple of others on here got called WUMs by the usuals for suggesting his injury was 6-8 weeks. Crazy that…. Need 3 more forwards. Proctor and Wilson will spend large parts of the season out like last year 

To be fair to Wilson he got a bone fracture in his foot during the Bradford game. He played on in that game as well which may not have helped treatment and recovery. So I don't feel last season he was quite as injury prone as it seems by way of looking at outages caused by things like muscle injuries. I think muscle injuries are indicative of potential weaknesses in the player that may not be overcome during the career or training / physio that isn't up to scratch in the club.

1 minute ago, Warren said:

I think it could be taken that we have 3 LCHs. The players under discussion are all likely better there, but Hall has the shirt. 

If we are to play Hussey or Jones at LWB then to me the better thing to do is play 442. I appreciate that isn't likely to happen and so I only want to see attacking LWB and the surplus should be managed someway. 

Excellent point.

The whole ethos of the wingback formation is that the wing back is dynamic and fit as a fiddle. Up and down the pitch is a prerequisite. 

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

Why have we got 3 LWBs?

I assumed Hussey might be on his way but after MK Dons, it doesn't look like it.

By the end of the window I doubt that will still be the case.

My money is on Jones to leave.

16 minutes ago, MBE said:

By the end of the window I doubt that will still be the case.

My money is on Jones to leave.

I’d agree with that. Don’t think he is dynamic enough at LBW and don’t think I’d feel confident if we started him at LCH. Admittedly he’s hardly played for 6 months, but if someone has to go to facilitate a new signing, I think it will be Jones. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange that. I and a couple of others on here got called WUMs by the usuals for suggesting his injury was 6-8 weeks. Crazy that…. Need 3 more forwards. Proctor and Wilson will spend large parts of the season out like last year 

Yeah i thought that, i almost rang the club to say "are you absolutely sure he's going to be out that long, cause there was a couple of posters on OVF who said that was absolutely wrong and anyone that said so was spreading rumours designed to undermine the club?"

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

To be fair it was Wilson himself who stated at the supporters club meeting that he was 2 weeks away. Why he said it who knows but he definitely said it and coming direct from the horses mouth what else are supporters supposed to do, stand up and call him a liar! It was a very strange statement unless he suffered a setback.

18 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’d agree with that. Don’t think he is dynamic enough at LBW and don’t think I’d feel confident if we started him at LCH. Admittedly he’s hardly played for 6 months, but if someone has to go to facilitate a new signing, I think it will be Jones. 

Jones has not played much in 2022 either. I think he would have to be prepared to step down to L2 or NL. If I was him and ambitious I would try to stay and take the opportunity. With Hussey, I have no idea what to suggest. Although he frustrated me on Tuesday at wingback, he shows a lot of good qualities as well. I think he was unfortunate getting played at LCH last season when we had an inadequate midfield on the pitch which therefore left loads of space and opposition players for him to cover. In a settled properly constructed side I think he could do a good job there. One caveat is he won't pass the ball forward unless he is sure it will reach it's destination. Sometimes at LCH it's necessary to simply get rid before giving it away; albeit with as much quality as possible. 

Have you been right about anything else 593?

Just asking for a friend...

44 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I could be wrong, but I don't remember Jones ever really playing LWB and his main position prior to his red was LCH. I don't remember him putting in my dire performances in that position but he's been the victim of Hall's exceptional performances (hall's opportunity came about due to Jones' red card and then subsequent injuries).

I tend to agree, whilst I don't think he's done much wrong whilst he's been with us (other than getting blamed for missing a one on one against BR and then giving the free kick away to MK), he's not had much of a look in and would likely to be the one transferred out to bring fresh in. to quote a previous poster - I don't think he'd need to drop down to NL though, I think he's a more than capable of staying within L2. His cross field balls to wozza were simply delightful at times and for times like the above, there were also the good times i.e. the cross field ball to wozza which setup JP for the winner against Orient. 

10 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

I could be wrong, but I don't remember Jones ever really playing LWB and his main position prior to his red was LCH. I don't remember him putting in my dire performances in that position but he's been the victim of Hall's exceptional performances (hall's opportunity came about due to Jones' red card and then subsequent injuries).

I tend to agree, whilst I don't think he's done much wrong whilst he's been with us (other than getting blamed for missing a one on one against BR and then giving the free kick away to MK), he's not had much of a look in and would likely to be the one transferred out to bring fresh in. to quote a previous poster - I don't think he'd need to drop down to NL though, I think he's a more than capable of staying within L2. His cross field balls to wozza were simply delightful at times and for times like the above, there were also the good times i.e. the cross field ball to wozza which setup JP for the winner against Orient. 

People seem quick to dismiss some of the squad players like Jones and Charsley but they definitely have their place in the squad as backup. Much stronger depth of squad than backups in the past!

If the opportunity had been available for him to play from January onwards he would be in the mix now. He’s a decent player but realistically the squad gets better and better now, so if you’re near the bottom when transfer windows are open you’re likely for the chop. I think given a run in the side he’d be decent.

Archived