onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

17 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I can understand the reason for resting players, we have had a short pre-season and are straight back at it with 9 games in 4 weeks.

We shouldn’t be resting players after 4 matches. We’re not good enough to go to places like Mk Dons and rest players. 

7 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I know its hard to say, but I wonder what the outcome of the Bolton and MK games would have been if we'd had a couple more strikers.

It's really hindering us starting with midfielders up front and having no options off the bench.

Been clear all season. I think we would have won both games with Wilson / a couple more forwards at the club. Both games there for the taking. 

Advert

4 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

We shouldn’t be resting players after 4 matches. We’re not good enough to go to places like Mk Dons and rest players. 

Been clear all season. I think we would have won both games with Wilson / a couple more forwards at the club. Both games there for the taking. 

As I stated we have 9 games in 4 weeks after a short pre season break. Its not about only playing 4 games so far, its the bigger picture of having so many games in a short period. The problem of not having enough forwards has had a big effect on the results and i think we would have won the last 2 games if we had another 2 forwards in. I am happy with the players we have so far but like you say we need those other forwards.

16 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I still feel we haven’t got that defence unlocker ( is that even a word ! ) .

That bit of guile and craft, seeing that pass.

Not convinced even a fully fit Conlon has that in his locker, ohhhh controversial eh 😳

You could argue the toss Conlon and Holden possess that attribute but I feel personally we need someone of that ilk. Easier said than done obviously. 

Walker?

This resting players debate I can see both sides.

What I absolutely don't get is one or two jettisoned from the squad altogether. For example Bennings pace would of been ideal in the last 15 minutes. Instead we had the mish mash of Small on the right and Jones wherever he was playing. Surely Benning was capable of being on the bench.

This has happened to a few players. Not on bench one game in the team next game, and vice versa. 

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

This resting players debate I can see both sides.

What I absolutely don't get is one or two jettisoned from the squad altogether. For example Bennings pace would of been ideal in the last 15 minutes. Instead we had the mish mash of Small on the right and Jones wherever he was playing. Surely Benning was capable of being on the bench.

This has happened to a few players. Not on bench one game in the team next game, and vice versa. 

I thought the second set of subs contributed to MK Dons second goal. We lost continuity. But I like Small and think he has a lot of potential. 

11 minutes ago, mbycars said:

As I stated we have 9 games in 4 weeks after a short pre season break. Its not about only playing 4 games so far, its the bigger picture of having so many games in a short period. The problem of not having enough forwards has had a big effect on the results and i think we would have won the last 2 games if we had another 2 forwards in. I am happy with the players we have so far but like you say we need those other forwards.

I think that’s ok if we have the players able to replace these players. Early days but I don’t see how Holden is / will ever be a decent option up top. Last nights 11 almost had a feel of, we will probably lose this, so let’s leave players out here and get them ready for Burton where we will have a better chance of 3 points. 

What I don’t understand and it’s as Darren has posted is why our players just go from being not in the squad to starting or visa versa. And the same players sit on the bench. Hussey not involved for a while, comes straight in and Small stays on the bench. We could have got something last night if the likes of Benning and Massey could come on from 20 minute. Instead we have Small playing RWB and Jones playing somewhere - he looks half the player he did at the start of last season. I do find it concerning with Massey that he needs resting after a 30 minute stint at the weekend 

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think that’s ok if we have the players able to replace these players. Early days but I don’t see how Holden is / will ever be a decent option up top. Last nights 11 almost had a feel of, we will probably lose this, so let’s leave players out here and get them ready for Burton where we will have a better chance of 3 points. 

What I don’t understand and it’s as Darren has posted is why our players just go from being not in the squad to starting or visa versa. And the same players sit on the bench. Hussey not involved for a while, comes straight in and Small stays on the bench. We could have got something last night if the likes of Benning and Massey could come on from 20 minute. Instead we have Small playing RWB and Jones playing somewhere - he looks half the player he did at the start of last season. I do find it concerning with Massey that he needs resting after a 30 minute stint at the weekend 

I agree, though regarding Massey i believe he had a slight knock on his knee so was rested with a view to being available for Saturday

40 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Jones was out a very long time. Also this is a higher division. Unclear if he is going to be a success or not. Needs to keep going and we will see. I'm more convinced Small is a good player and he can play in more positions than Jones. Young and needs game time.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Brilliant passer but more long range missiles.  I was more on about intricate short balls around the box but yes you are right Walker is a quality passer .

I agree we have no guile and a player who can get Up the pitch and deliver a slide rule pass in between two centre backs for a one on one. Walkers passes it all day long but he sprays it 60 yards high and wide which gives their defence time to settle and get back in shape. We lack a midfield runner with pace. Conlon, charsely, Pett, ojo, Walker - I can’t see any of those troubling the scoring charts this season. I still think goals are going to be a stumbling block this season that’s obvious. We desperately need Wilson back and bring another striker in and quickly. 

it’s a very tough league and we have to target games against sides who are also going to be in the bottom 10 to get our points. We did that against fleetwood and we need to follow that up with a win against Burton who look a poor side. We need to be a bit sharper when attacking but hopefully that will come in the next few weeks as fitness will get better.

I also think with cass and benning and no massey, Clarke is targeting the Burton game as the one we need to win. 

Anybody who thinks that Burton are easy prey and will just roll over are in for a shock, they are a well established Lge 1 side who have had a poor start, it's 4 games in sides are settling and there will be no easy games.

DC knows the game and what is required, there will be bumps in the road it's a matter how you respond, also the window hasn't closed and I'm guessing there will be movement in and out right up until the last minute.

NB. just realised that this post should be in the Burton thread but my point stands.

34 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

When in the season would people suggest that we rest players, considering that we don't have any midweek fixtures between the 25th October and Valentines day? We then only have one other Tuesday fixture after Valentines day.

Its all a bit odd this as to why with so few midweek league games we needed to start early because of a world cup which barely any if any L1 players will be involved in!

Archived