onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

On 14/08/2022 at 04:40, philmpv said:

Unless it's Jake Taylor, Paul doesn't seem to recognise the talent of any Port Vale midfielder. Beginning to think he's either his dad or lover emoji16.png

Ha ha, that's the level of foolishness I've come to expect in your posts mpv.

Advert

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I actually think there will be more movement on players in and out on deadline day and maybe not right now

DC said something similar that there could be movement of players in and possibly out with a smile.  I took it as the players lower down the pecking order who just don't get playing time moving out either on loan or permanently got rid off.  But may be one or 2 of our first team players if the money is right.

21 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

MBE, I totally agree with your first paragraph and top marks to whoever spotted this ability in Garrity.

However with Garrity playing so far forward as a midfield player it does unbalance Vale's central midfield a little. eg on Saturday Vale were caught on the counter at least 3 times with their attackers running directly at the heart of Vale's defense, in one of these attacks it took a superb save from Stevens to prevent a goal, otherwise Vale lose 1-0.

It's not just Garrity's energy Vale need it's some quality on the ball when he gets it and this is where his overall games lacks compared to a Colon or a Taylor, he  even says it himself. He does tend to be in the right place at the right time but the other side the coin is only one assist last season.

I'd still prefer Garrity to stay rather than leave unless there's big money on the table, especially with Taylor gone.

My point is we have other players who can provide the quality in the system.

I think the midfield relies upon Ojo to get about the pitch to cover for both Conlon and Garrity. Conlon played quite high pulling out to the left in possession to create the overloads with Garrity in the box for an extra body. This does leave us vulnerable to a quick transition.Risk reward strategy. We don’t tend to do this away from home. Garrity is a lot deeper. It’s risk reward to be offensive at home. 

On 14/08/2022 at 05:54, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Last season Vale got their hands on a 25 yr old midfield player who had played next to no league football and no one had heard and paid sod all for him, I clearly remember some of the posts deriding this signing.

that player then went on to prove all of his doubters wrong in the most spectacular way quickly adapting to league football scoring 12 goals from midfield and winning the player of the year award and was without doubt the fittest player in the squad.

jump forward to the fourth game of the following season after a shortened pre season break and the whole team is looking slightly ring rusty that same midfielder is being sold on as not good enough for league 1. Has it occurred to anyone that he may need a few games to get himself bedded in and used the better opposition, maybe that playing against better opposition may just bring him on again.

sometimes some of the folk posting on this forum are delusional to say the least, just to have a goal scoring midfielder in your squad is priceless in any league and to have one who is so young is a true commodity, what price 12 goals or the chance of them in a season ?.

It's simple fact that in the recent past Vale have had two excellent midfield players in Tom Conlon and Jake Taylor who've scored goals from midfield and didn't play so far forward as Garrity. In the Taylor's case pro-rata in the Covid hit season to Garrity and Taylor is younger than Garrity. Some of Conlon's goals came from pens, but pens still have to be "scored".

Only time will tell whether all 3 score goals in Lge 1.

5 hours ago, philmpv said:
9 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:
500k for a L1 midfielder who is (I think?) out of contract in the summer would be excellent business, in my opinion. 
Goalscoring midfielders are hard to come by, and he has been excellent for us over the last 12 months. However, my personal opinion is that he'll find it difficult to play above L1 with his current technical attributes.

Nobody is asking him to play above L1 level

In which case it's a decent fee. 

I wonder if DC is thinking of getting another striker in this week because I think Proc will be struggling to play 3 games in a week.

I guess we could revert back to playing McDermott for a game(not ideal) or pushing Garrity up or giving Holden a full game but none of these are ideal

On 14/08/2022 at 08:39, werstayinup said:

Not being funny but you would have to accept that as long as a sell on is involved

If this goes through it just shows some more fantastic work from the recruitment team

Why?

We've only just started to look like a team, with decent amount of bodies in, and good quality on the bench. So, if we lose a potential 10+ goal-scoring midfielder we have to replace him! I don't think Tom Conlon has ever scored as many as BG? Not a dig at TC...just a fact. 

BG might go on to score 10+ again, this season, once he finds his scoring touch - what's he worth next summer, if he does? A sight more than £350!! I'm ok with making a profit selling players on...but, as I've said before, I think this is jumping the gun! 

On 14/08/2022 at 10:59, mbycars said:

I just think he loves the club and DC and don't think he would want to be uprooted from his merseyside home for another L1 side. I also don't think for him that money is the be all and end all.

He has said on different podcasts that he loves being at the Vael, and gets on with pretty much everyone! Not every club has players who are prepared to say that. (Yes - I know you wouldn't expect him to say anything different - but you can tell it's genuine just listening to the guy!)

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I wonder if DC is thinking of getting another striker in this week because I think Proc will be struggling to play 3 games in a week.

I guess we could revert back to playing McDermott for a game(not ideal) or pushing Garrity up or giving Holden a full game but none of these are ideal

Always the option to play Massey off Harrison for a half then bring holden on for him. Sammy had the weekend off so could be back in at RWB if woz not back yet. I suppose it just depends on whether DC fancies seeing how massey does up top. He is supposedly quite versatile so always a possibility. If he did well it would be a decent option moving forward if we were light on strikers at any point during the season 

15 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Why?

We've only just started to look like a team, with decent amount of bodies in, and good quality on the bench. So, if we lose a potential 10+ goal-scoring midfielder we have to replace him! I don't think Tom Conlon has ever scored as many as BG? Not a dig at TC...just a fact. 

BG might go on to score 10+ again, this season, once he finds his scoring touch - what's he worth next summer, if he does? A sight more than £350!! I'm ok with making a profit selling players on...but, as I've said before, I think this is jumping the gun! 

How i understand it his contract runs out next Summer so if that doesnt change wave goodbye to even £350k. Guessing Vale will be doing everything in their power to sign BG on a new contract but from the players point of view if BG comes to next summer as a free agent on the back of another good season then all the money from a transfer goes into his and his agents back pocket. Obviously that scenario has risks for BG too if he suffered a serious injury in the meantime.

11 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

How i understand it his contract runs out next Summer so if that doesnt change wave goodbye to even £350k. Guessing Vale will be doing everything in their power to sign BG on a new contract but from the players point of view if BG comes to next summer as a free agent on the back of another good season then all the money from a transfer goes into his and his agents back pocket. Obviously that scenario has risks for BG too if he suffered a serious injury in the meantime.

Yes I agree 

Archived