Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Very good time to play a side like Grimsby. 

They weren't very good but i disagree slightly because they have also appointed a new manager in Hurst(who a lot would of wanted here) before the game i would imagine their fans might of said the same a good time play us,we did a good job on them today.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't overly get carried away as this is our worst team for as long as I can remember. You really didn't have to play well to beat us though and I think you have far more tougher challenges to co

Worrall creates all 3 goals. Get him off, should be scoring.

Shout out too to Adam Yates. Excellent, sensible summary on the game throughout. Well done lads. We can do it when we apply ourselves.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

So Paul Hurst is appointed manager of Grimsby, a manager a lot of us would not have been disappointed had he come here, he's lost his first two games, just shows how difficult it is to choose a manager.

That is spot on and just shows all those crying out for an experienced manager that has as much chance of working as a young one after their first job.

So i trust Carol and will back whichever route she goes down for the manager

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t think pope should be praised. I find it quite shameful how players can put no effort in for weeks and as soon as a manager goes they all of a sudden put some effort in. I’m sick of popes articles and he needs to be moved on. 

Sadly it happens at every club if players want a manager out thats player power now in the game,sad but true... not fair on owners or fans imo

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 18:33, Nofinikea said:

What if the players were talked out of believing in him?

Watched the game and listened to the commentary today. I felt the knives in John’s back. The team  won today with the injured players back irrespective of who was the manager. Next week will be interesting. 

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

Not sure as this was only one game and Grimsby are currently having a mare so we should have taken the points.  

But have just appointed an experienced manager

Advert:

A win's a win but I thought we were average at best overall, up against one of the worst sides I've seen for a long time. I reckon I could get a bunch of mates together and give Grimsby a game. We had a bit more effort about us which is the least we can expect after a manager change, but let's see how we get on against opposition that has at least a little something about them.

You’ll be saying Pugh out after Sunderland

2 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Fuming with the players, makes me sick that they can play the rubbish they have... Legge and Pope come out and say nothing was going on, what a bare face set of lies!!! Makes my blood boil, not because I was an Askey fan, I’m a vale fan and they should be playing for the fans.

Utter disgrace, hang your collective heads in shame - disgusted and disgruntled Vale fan!

I suggest that you join us in Canada.  We have legal cannabis and it can help when the world feels so serious.

Although the last couple of games, prior to today, have been awful I think that in some of the previous games performances were better than results, and better finishing would have secured a few more points.

Today was nothing amazing, we played a very poor Grimsby team, and we had a bit more luck in front of goal.

I'm happy to take the points but don't think that we have gone from relegation fodder to potential champions and I am not convinced that the players have stabbed the manager in the back, and in so doing let the fans down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

But have just appointed an experienced manager

He's not Jurgen Klopp. Grimsby are where they are for a reason - They are absolutely shocking. Bringing in Paul Hurst isn't going to change anything after a couple of games other than perhaps a bit more effort.

We deserved the win but I actually thought 3-0 flattered us a bit, and we were far from convincing at times.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

You’ll be saying Pugh out after Sunderland emoji23.png

I'm saying Pugh out now. If he wants to become a manager he should go and manage a side outside of the football league to get a bit of experience.

Edited by TylerB

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I'm saying Pugh out now. If he wants to become a manager he should go and manage a side outside of the football league to get a bit of experience.

The only problem with this is that, as we all know, experience outside of the football league counts for nothing when a league club is looking for a manager.

Advert:

Just now, Quebec_Valiant said:

The only problem with this is that, as we all know, experience outside of the football league counts for nothing when a league club is looking for a manager.

In our situation I just don't think we should be employing someone from within the club who's not been a manager in his life other than perhaps on his laptop. (before today's game)

Garlic himself said we've had tons of applications. To appoint Danny Pugh on the basis he won one or two games and might be good mates with some of our players would be pretty poor.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

You mean like Appin did?

Just now, Old fort said:

You mean like Appin did?

I never wanted Aspin in the first place. He only got the job because he's a genuine Vale legend and was the fans choice.

To be fair, Hurst is now trying to clean up the mess left by Holloway after his shocking recruitment. If he's given time I'm sure he will do well again.

I believe the players we have are better than the recent showing so was today just a classic case of new manager bounce or is Pugh the man for us?

Sunderland will be a good test, as will FGR next Saturday. 

Advert:

38 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

What if the players were talked out of believing in him?

Very good point. What if Sinclair was the one doing the talking? From a very poor youth team coach to a place in the technical area today , giving it large to the officials. Strange that, but if I’m wrong , fair enough. I’ll get me tin hat. Good to get the 3pts today against a poor side , who could be relegated on that performance, but I wouldn’t get carried away. 

• Thanks 1

Its amazing to read all the negative comments from the "clique" on here who are ALWAYS  the experts!!Maybe a few could offer their services to Carol and the board ,when she interviews the candidates for the job!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TylerB said:

So who do you want...