Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Big for Vale that Worrall and Conlon returned today, both important players for Vale. Welcome 3 points.

Tom Pope gave a master class in leading the line today just as he did 2nd half at Mansfield and in other games this season and over the years. He should play a role in every match day squad for Vale, whether it be starting or coming on as a sub.

Team selection next Saturday will show how Danny Pugh intends to play and FGR will be a much tougher test, a 4-4-2 as he played today may be a little too open.

There's no guarantee whoever takes over at Vale will bring success. Danny Pugh has the credentials and two good results from the next two games would put him in a good position position. Good to hear him say on P&G there's opportunity to bring players in.

Advert:

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't overly get carried away as this is our worst team for as long as I can remember. You really didn't have to play well to beat us though and I think you have far more tougher challenges to co

Worrall creates all 3 goals. Get him off, should be scoring.

Shout out too to Adam Yates. Excellent, sensible summary on the game throughout. Well done lads. We can do it when we apply ourselves.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Salmonchantedevening! said:

I wouldn't overly get carried away as this is our worst team for as long as I can remember. You really didn't have to play well to beat us though and I think you have far more tougher challenges to come. Holloway has shafted our club from top to bottom dont go anywhere near him. He was the biggest con artist to ever cross our paths. He is just a showman and mad one at that. 

Good luck for the rest of the season.

You are not recommending we offer Holloway the Vale job then ? 🙂

• Haha 2

Advert:

Decent enough performance against limited opponents.

The intensity was much better than of late, we created far more and even late on there looked to be a determination to keep a clean sheet.

A welcome 3 points which provides some breathing space. Apparently they’ve not really trained this week due to the weather so credit to Pugh for getting a result today.

11 minutes ago, gavcradd said:

If that performance continues v Forest Green next week, I'd look at giving it to Pugh until the end of the season. Carol can then sit down and look at the situation carefully and anay new manager would have the chance to build his own squad.

Don't forget, Rudgie was a number 2. As was Page (less successfully).

.....as was Glover. As was Brown.

(and Pugh hasn't even been a number 2 - that was Kevan. Pugh was 1st team coach.)

Unspectacularly efficient today. Three goals and a clean sheet, from limited chances and three vital points. Pre requisite effort from players who earn a wage for doing so, shouldn't be over lauded,  but acknowledged even so. Still, a win is a win, so no complaints here. Plenty of hoofball resulting in conceding possession to a very poor side, which must be improved upon,  however,  work rate over quality carried us through.  Returning players made an overall difference, particularly in the first half, complemented by the the ever improving Hurst. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ok captain serious, I was joking!

And I thought that was one of the few times you were being serious 🤪

Edited by philpvfc

Advert:

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Is it just me, but irrespective of how poor the opposition is, why does our defending always seem ‘last ditch’?

Must just be me but apart from the 2 headers early doors i thought we defended really well.

Also i noticed that Pugh changed formation a couple of times during the game(not happened under Askey) and made subs(the first albeit due to a knock) at the right times... Enjoyed it today well done to all. I wont be saying give it Pugh after one game and wont get annoyed if we lose Tuesday,Saturday will be one to judge against Forest Green thats a tough game but play like that under Pugh then i do think he will be given until the end of the season which i wont be opposed to as i dont mind a young manager with fresh ideas,would still be unsure on sinclair as assistant though.

Anyway good start Danny 🙂 

Posted (edited)

A win's a win but I thought we were average at best overall, up against one of the worst sides I've seen for a long time. I reckon I could get a bunch of mates together and give Grimsby a game. We had a bit more effort about us which is the least we can expect after a manager change, but let's see how we get on against opposition that has at least a little something about them.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 6

To say Askey has been done over isn’t right .
What if the players just lost belief in him and the decisions he was making ???

better today but still look fragile at the back
It’s just nice to win a game of football again

26 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Big for Vale that Worrall and Conlon returned today, both important players for Vale. Welcome 3 points.

Tom Pope gave a master class in leading the line today just as he did 2nd half at Mansfield and in other games this season and over the years. He should play a role in every match day squad for Vale, whether it be starting or coming on as a sub.

Team selection next Saturday will show how Danny Pugh intends to play and FGR will be a much tougher test, a 4-4-2 as he played today may be a little too open.

There's no guarantee whoever takes over at Vale will bring success. Danny Pugh has the credentials and two good results from the next two games would put him in a good position position. Good to hear him say on P&G there's opportunity to bring players in.

What credentials?! 

Advert:

6 minutes ago, vale victory said:

To say Askey has been done over isn’t right .
What if the players just lost belief in him and the decisions he was making ???

better today but still look fragile at the back
It’s just nice to win a game of football again

Agreed , but no excuse for not trying .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Not disagreeing just don’t want them two on the pitch they’re attrocious footballers. Much prefer if Campbell Gordon was given a go and rest Monty 

I thought Theo put himself about a lot more than he had previous tbf to him and he even produced a great tackle near the end in our half and thats the first tackle i have seen him make

• Like 1

Fuming with the players, makes me sick that they can play the rubbish they have... Legge and Pope come out and say nothing was going on, what a bare face set of lies!!! Makes my blood boil, not because I was an Askey fan, I’m a vale fan and they should be playing for the fans.

Utter disgrace, hang your collective heads in shame - disgusted and disgruntled Vale fan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1