Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Fans,me included, have been calling for a Plan B when Plan A doesn't work. 442 looked like it could be the answer following the Wigan game, albeit against weak opposition. 442 would have been OK today if we had scored the games best two chances at 0-0. The team would have gained more confidence and we would have worked harder and won the 2nd ball. I'm sure JA would have at that point brought on Joyce to control the game looking like a football genius. Instead the missed pen gave Carlisle the confidence and the midfield 3 controlled the game easily whilst our heads dropped. 

The fact is Joyce doesn't have the legs to play in a 442, in particular at Vale Park.We are wedded to 4-3-3/4-5-1 with him in the team. You could give me a good argument about Conlon not starting today however in defence of JA Conlon's last 2 performance levels had dropped from the opening 2 games and perhaps needed a remainder of the standard we need him to he at. You can't blame JA for trying something different after the passive performances against Harrogate & Morecambe.

My problem with the team at present is our reaction when Plan A is not working regardless of formation. No-one wants to get on the ball and take responsibility to make something happen. We don't put the opposition under any pressure and its all far too easy.

I'm also concerned about our scouting the opposition. It looks like we don't do any! 

There was absolutely no reason for Conlon especially to be dropped today. Not a single one. He's not going to be an 8 out of 10 every week. If he was he wouldn't be with us and playing in League Two. Today Askey tried to be clever and ended up looking like a bit of a simpleton.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’ve both got that wrong, I’m afraid. I’ve just found it in my back garden.... I live in Manchester. I think Askey told him to score in the Cerlisle goal and thought he meant Brunton Park.

It’s a pity Pope isn’t as good as he thinks he is 

Do you really think playing two in midfield and allowing Guy the freedom of the park as a result did not contribute to our defeat??

Conlon from the opening two games absolutely but do you really think he was 8 out of 10 against Harrogate and Morecambe?  

I peronally would have played him in front of Whitehead but you have to give players a chance. If a player has come in to the side and won the previous game then they deserve to keep the shirt , otherwise what's the point of the squad? 

Equally if you're not winning then players should expect changes. Thats how you create the competition and get the 7+ out of 10 performances each week. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I didn't think Pope's penalty was that bad by the way; the keeper has made a good save. 

I agree that he got across well but surely the last place you hit a penalty is 3ft high to the keepers side.    He’s got a 50-50 chance of reaching it if he goes the right way.   
If Popey had scored, and Rodney not missed the sitter then maybe their lad would have scored from Legge’s awful back pass and a point would have been stolen.   
on reflection of play a win by one goal margin was the least Carlisle deserved.    

• Thanks 1

I’m an Askey fan but he made three big mistakes today in my view:

1. He changed the back four too much in only retaining Leon in it from the last game. I know one change was forced but it was the one area of the team that looked the part. Our defence looked like strangers at times with even Leon looking vulnerable.

2. Playing Burgess and Whitehead in a two meant we were overrun by Carlisle’s central thee. It also leaves us short on pace and creativity, we were crying out for Manny or Conlon. 

3. If you’re going to play 442 then your wide midfielders need to deliver crosses into the area and tuck in when not in possession. Worrell and Rodney did neither. 

I suggest JA goes back to basics in the next game, reverts to 433 and gets Conlon or Manny into the midfield three. Smith or Brisley need to partner Leon whilst we need far more from both Worrell and Rodney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

Conlon from the opening two games absolutely but do you really think he was 8 out of 10 against Harrogate and Morecambe?  

I peronally would have played him in front of Whitehead but you have to give players a chance. If a player has come in to the side and won the previous game then they deserve to keep the shirt , otherwise what's the point of the squad? 

Equally if you're not winning then players should expect changes. Thats how you create the competition and get the 7+ out of 10 performances each week. 

My main point being he shouldn't be expected to be 8 out of 10 every week. He'll have some average games and that's why he's playing for us. Not one person here or around Stoke-on-Trent would have dropped both Joyce and Conlon today for Burgess and Whitehead. Not a single one. So why did Askey?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I think missing an open goal and a penalty were much bigger factors! Score them we win. End of. 

That would have been papering over the cracks. It’s not about today, we still have 40 games to put it right.

Back to basics next week.
It's a must.
Solid defence, high press, energy.
Pretty certain we'll play well.
But there has to be a solution to the problems of playing everyday teams.

• Like 1

The defence HAD to be changed today due to Gibbo but the midfield did not, too many changes is not the answer to a 1:0 defeat at morecambe & that was a penalty!! Tom C & Joycey should have been in 1st 11. Popey did more today than Theo & & Devante combined yet was subbed!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Back to basics next week.
It's a must.
Solid defence, high press, energy.
Pretty certain we'll play well.
But there has to be a solution to the problems of playing everyday teams.

Matching the everyday sides for effort and application would be a start. I figured out pretty soon that they were more up for it than we were for whatever reason.

I can only think that some of our players thought that the 3 points were ours just by actually showing.

Edited by TylerB

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

My main point being he shouldn't be expected to be 8 out of 10 every week. He'll have some average games and that's why he's playing for us. Not one person here or around Stoke-on-Trent would have dropped both Joyce and Conlon today for Burgess and Whitehead

You can't play Joyce in a 442 he doesn't have the legs 

It’s hard to criticise Askey as after Morecombe it needed a change but gosh that was dreadful stuff. We actually started very well but, as usual, the oppo’s quickly sussed us out and lo and behold we had no Plan B.

I don’t really know what he can do to address this slump, because that’s what it is. But it needs sorting and quickly.

No goals in 3 league games and how many shots/shots on target....? Let’s just say I’ve got more fingers on one hand (and no I’m not even from Leek).

What I do know is that Rodney is far better down the middle but is definitely not a winger, Robinson just does not get involved in the game enough and we hit too many long balls with Pope on the pitch. Cullen has a goal in him but the lone striker role does not suit him.

But the midfield is even more concerning. Is it time to move Worrall into the three to inject a bit of energy?? Manny has disappeared and I fear we’ll lucky to get 10 games out of him, his body clearly cannot stand the rigours of professional football. We are crying out for an Ian Bogie-type midfielder.

Defensively, Crookes had me a bag of nerves and after his reckless (a total unnecessary) challenge left him on a booking I was convinced it was only a matter of time before his second which thankfully(?) never materialised. Legge’s distribution was awful.

The only positive really was Monty. 

15 minutes ago, jeffers said:

That would have been papering over the cracks. It’s not about today, we still have 40 games to put it right.

This is true but I think if we score first it's a different game. As it was the penalty miss really seemed to give them a lift.  They score and our heads drop.  End of story

• Like 1

I think we need to look at the players rather than manager. Granted selection was off but that 11 out there today were a joke and for the most part disinterested. Pope comes out in his article in the week and then performs like that. Other than brown Monty Clark and legge they need to take a real good look at themselves as they were a <ovf censored> disgrace. Again. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think we need to look at the players rather than manager. Granted selection was off but that 11 out there today were a joke and for the most part disinterested. Pope comes out in his article in the week and then performs like that. Other than brown Monty Clark and legge they need to take a real good look at themselves as they were a <ovf censored> disgrace. Again. 

It’s a pity Pope isn’t as good as he thinks he is 

• Like 6

Too many individual errors, poor decision making and an inability to win challenges without making a needless foul.

Our first touch was woeful and very rarely did a headed ball get directed to a teammate

Can't say any of our players played better than their opposite number today. We have got to start winning our individual battles

Carlisle did a job on us and we basically let them do it.

Very disappointing and nothing positive to come out of the game. So frustrating when there seemed to be a buzz building.

I’m sorry but people defending askey need to take a look at themselves- tactically it’s a shambles - plays look disinterested to make 6 changes I feel like he doesn’t know what he’s doing anymore. From 20 minutes in we could see that the midfield was being overrun and he changed nothing I’m not saying I know more than askey but I think anyone watching the game could see that so why couldn’t our manager. We have been literally shocking for 3 games now we made an average team look very good where’s the desire where’s the commitment where’s the heart to get in there faces and make things happen out grafted all over the park and that’s one thing we have never been under askey so we need to ask the question, has he lost the players because I’ve never seen 3 games like that for vale in a long long time. People giving mckirdy grief what did they want him to do the ball didn’t hit the grass in the whole time he was on. We don’t play to any of our players styles of play. Honestly Worrall if he starts next game I’m not watching someone’s tied the blokes shoelaces together how he is still in the team is baffling because he has been nothing short of dreadful all season. Next two games could be make or break for askey I hope he proves me wrong because I appreciate what he has done for us but something doesn’t feel right at the moment at all 

• Like 2