onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

30 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Not really someone you wanna be bringing on when the chips are down and the team are struggling. In a side actually playing well and creating he would be a big asset.

Entirely agree but I've seen nowt in his couple of cameos this season.....hope I'm wrong, cos he's miles off the pace at the moment.

Advert

36 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

hear Radio Stoke saying that fans were crying out for 4-4-2. Some were but tell me how many fans were calling for Burgess and Whitehead as they midfield two??

Fans,me included, have been calling for a Plan B when Plan A doesn't work. 442 looked like it could be the answer following the Wigan game, albeit against weak opposition. 442 would have been OK today if we had scored the games best two chances at 0-0. The team would have gained more confidence and we would have worked harder and won the 2nd ball. I'm sure JA would have at that point brought on Joyce to control the game looking like a football genius. Instead the missed pen gave Carlisle the confidence and the midfield 3 controlled the game easily whilst our heads dropped. 

The fact is Joyce doesn't have the legs to play in a 442, in particular at Vale Park.We are wedded to 4-3-3/4-5-1 with him in the team. You could give me a good argument about Conlon not starting today. In defence of JA, Conlon's last 2 performance levels had dropped way below the standard he had set. Perhaps he needed a remainder of the standard? You can't blame JA for trying something different after the passive performances against Harrogate & Morecambe.

My problem with the team at present is our reaction when Plan A is not working regardless of formation. No-one wants to get on the ball and take responsibility to make something happen. We don't put the opposition under any pressure and its all far too easy.

I'm also concerned about our scouting the opposition. It looks like we don't do any! 

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Fans,me included, have been calling for a Plan B when Plan A doesn't work. 442 looked like it could be the answer following the Wigan game, albeit against weak opposition. 442 would have been OK today if we had scored the games best two chances at 0-0. The team would have gained more confidence and we would have worked harder and won the 2nd ball. I'm sure JA would have at that point brought on Joyce to control the game looking like a football genius. Instead the missed pen gave Carlisle the confidence and the midfield 3 controlled the game easily whilst our heads dropped. 

The fact is Joyce doesn't have the legs to play in a 442, in particular at Vale Park.We are wedded to 4-3-3/4-5-1 with him in the team. You could give me a good argument about Conlon not starting today however in defence of JA Conlon's last 2 performance levels had dropped from the opening 2 games and perhaps needed a remainder of the standard we need him to he at. You can't blame JA for trying something different after the passive performances against Harrogate & Morecambe.

My problem with the team at present is our reaction when Plan A is not working regardless of formation. No-one wants to get on the ball and take responsibility to make something happen. We don't put the opposition under any pressure and its all far too easy.

I'm also concerned about our scouting the opposition. It looks like we don't do any! 

There was absolutely no reason for Conlon especially to be dropped today. Not a single one. He's not going to be an 8 out of 10 every week. If he was he wouldn't be with us and playing in League Two. Today Askey tried to be clever and ended up looking like a bit of a simpleton.

Conlon from the opening two games absolutely but do you really think he was 8 out of 10 against Harrogate and Morecambe?  

I peronally would have played him in front of Whitehead but you have to give players a chance. If a player has come in to the side and won the previous game then they deserve to keep the shirt , otherwise what's the point of the squad? 

Equally if you're not winning then players should expect changes. Thats how you create the competition and get the 7+ out of 10 performances each week. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I didn't think Pope's penalty was that bad by the way; the keeper has made a good save. 

I agree that he got across well but surely the last place you hit a penalty is 3ft high to the keepers side.    He’s got a 50-50 chance of reaching it if he goes the right way.   
If Popey had scored, and Rodney not missed the sitter then maybe their lad would have scored from Legge’s awful back pass and a point would have been stolen.   
on reflection of play a win by one goal margin was the least Carlisle deserved.    

I’m an Askey fan but he made three big mistakes today in my view:

1. He changed the back four too much in only retaining Leon in it from the last game. I know one change was forced but it was the one area of the team that looked the part. Our defence looked like strangers at times with even Leon looking vulnerable.

2. Playing Burgess and Whitehead in a two meant we were overrun by Carlisle’s central thee. It also leaves us short on pace and creativity, we were crying out for Manny or Conlon. 

3. If you’re going to play 442 then your wide midfielders need to deliver crosses into the area and tuck in when not in possession. Worrell and Rodney did neither. 

I suggest JA goes back to basics in the next game, reverts to 433 and gets Conlon or Manny into the midfield three. Smith or Brisley need to partner Leon whilst we need far more from both Worrell and Rodney.

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

Conlon from the opening two games absolutely but do you really think he was 8 out of 10 against Harrogate and Morecambe?  

I peronally would have played him in front of Whitehead but you have to give players a chance. If a player has come in to the side and won the previous game then they deserve to keep the shirt , otherwise what's the point of the squad? 

Equally if you're not winning then players should expect changes. Thats how you create the competition and get the 7+ out of 10 performances each week. 

My main point being he shouldn't be expected to be 8 out of 10 every week. He'll have some average games and that's why he's playing for us. Not one person here or around Stoke-on-Trent would have dropped both Joyce and Conlon today for Burgess and Whitehead. Not a single one. So why did Askey?

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Back to basics next week.
It's a must.
Solid defence, high press, energy.
Pretty certain we'll play well.
But there has to be a solution to the problems of playing everyday teams.

Matching the everyday sides for effort and application would be a start. I figured out pretty soon that they were more up for it than we were for whatever reason.

I can only think that some of our players thought that the 3 points were ours just by actually showing.

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

My main point being he shouldn't be expected to be 8 out of 10 every week. He'll have some average games and that's why he's playing for us. Not one person here or around Stoke-on-Trent would have dropped both Joyce and Conlon today for Burgess and Whitehead

You can't play Joyce in a 442 he doesn't have the legs 

It’s hard to criticise Askey as after Morecombe it needed a change but gosh that was dreadful stuff. We actually started very well but, as usual, the oppo’s quickly sussed us out and lo and behold we had no Plan B.

I don’t really know what he can do to address this slump, because that’s what it is. But it needs sorting and quickly.

No goals in 3 league games and how many shots/shots on target....? Let’s just say I’ve got more fingers on one hand (and no I’m not even from Leek).

What I do know is that Rodney is far better down the middle but is definitely not a winger, Robinson just does not get involved in the game enough and we hit too many long balls with Pope on the pitch. Cullen has a goal in him but the lone striker role does not suit him.

But the midfield is even more concerning. Is it time to move Worrall into the three to inject a bit of energy?? Manny has disappeared and I fear we’ll lucky to get 10 games out of him, his body clearly cannot stand the rigours of professional football. We are crying out for an Ian Bogie-type midfielder.

Defensively, Crookes had me a bag of nerves and after his reckless (a total unnecessary) challenge left him on a booking I was convinced it was only a matter of time before his second which thankfully(?) never materialised. Legge’s distribution was awful.

The only positive really was Monty. 

Archived