Fosse69

Match Thread: FLT Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

6 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Would be nice to start with Archer and Cullen up front against Newport especially as they could be playing against Howkins and Innis.

But I suppose it will be back to 1 up front playing hoofball.

Ernie do you actually go to games, after this comment i question if you’ve been to VP this season

5 hours ago, vale victory said:

Does anyone know how many changes Shrewsbury made ?

The reaction on their forum to the teamsheets was it was quite a strong side.

In fairness thought the Shrewsbury team they fielded wasn't a bad side. Passed the ball around neatly and had several tidy players who made good attacking runs into our box. That made it a decent performance by our lads . Gibbo was the standout performer for me and as some one already said when Worrall came on they linked up almost telepathically.  Our fringe players performed well and would have been a  reassuring watch to those on OVF who were concerned about the strength of the back up players. One or two certainly did there first team chances no harm whatsoever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

What a much improved second half it was. It looked like we defended a bit higher up the pitch and pressed them a bit better too. But we certainly got our rewards for it and they were nowhere as effective as they were in the first half. Monty, Amoo and the 3 deeper midfields got in to the game a bit more and certainly Lloyd and Evans put in better performances in the second half. Maybe Evans could play that role in the midfield in the future?  Amoo looked more interested second half as well.

Archers introduction made a massive difference, not just because he scored but also because of his pace, it’s frightening how quick he looks. Same with a Amoo as well, he chased his own pass at one point and gave a defender a good 6-10 yard start and beat him to it. Cullen also added a threat when he came on as well.

Yet again worrall showed what a difference he can make on the wing rather than being stuck in centre midfield too. His partnership with a Gibbons looks really good and talk about desire.... Gibbons played a pass to a worrall and was the only player who made up half the pitch or more to get on the end of a return from worrall and we got what we deserved as he crossed for the second goal. That’s the kind of effort I want to see in the shirt, around us he was our MOTM. I think pretty much everyone had a good second half though, Kennedy improved and did well defensively and looks good on the ball too (despite him taking some risks at times). Taylor I felt struggled to get in to the game and didn’t quite make the same contribution as Lloyd and Evans in that second half. I think it’s pleasing to see the options we have off the bench now. 

Evans was more highly rated by the fans at Macclesfield in midfield last season. I think he struggled as a wingback a little, which was a problem within Campbell's preferred system. Although this wasn't quite Shrewsbury's first team they had much more league experience than the team we put out, particularly in defence and midfield. Lloyd looked much better in midfield than on the wing.

On what we've seen so far this I'd say the first 11 is stronger than last season and almost certainly the rest of the squad is as well. There is a drop in quality after, maybe, the best 13 but it doesn't fall off a cliff. The last 3 years when injuries and suspensions have kicked in we've had to change systems to try and keep some players out of the team, I wouldn't be too concerned if we had to play last night's starting or finishing 11 in a league fixture. We aren't world beaters and I think the next 3 games will be a struggle but we have a few months of fixtures where I'm confident we will pick up quite a few points.

• Like 2

Very good win considering how poor we were first half as really Shrewsbury were passing it around well and we were chasing shadows . 

Second half much better performance winning goal superb .

Kennedy what I saw on the stream was very good ,That Archer took his goalwell and the pen well sometimes there given some times they are not .

Think Gibbons cleared one off the line and someone deflected one over as we hung on at the end .

So fair play well done  Vale