Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Advert:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first half was pretty much a case of cancelling each other out with the strong blustery wind ruining the game. The pity was that we couldn't hold on to the lead. We didn't defend well enough. It's ok blaming the officials but as far as I'm aware they don't kick a ball or head one either. We were sloppy before the break and errors gave them 2-3 corners in succession when we should have done better.

Their only ploy was the high ball to their tall lad(s) - predictable but effective. They nearly scored twice at the start of the second half but Amoo cleared off the line and Brown made a fabulous save. After that it was all Vale and we were unlucky not to win it towards the end. That said, they defended stubbornly and our final ball just wasn't clinical enough, the same as last year.

It's still last season's team, with the addition of Amoo, so we will struggle to score goals. Criticism of Pope is way over the top. It's a very hard job when you are an isolated lone striker with no-one within 40 yards of you. Our two other "forwards" are both wingers so Pope does get left on his own a lot. But that isn't his fault. 

I enjoyed the second half. They were fortunate not to get at least one red card and rode their luck at times but I suspect that's a game that we might have lost last season so plenty to be encouraged about.

Oyeleke's hamstring injury is a worry. I still think we look a bit lightweight in midfield when we haven't got the ball.

But all in all quite an entertaining game and we were a bit unlucky not to win it at the end.

We defended stoutly and Conlon was perhaps rightly given the MOTM award.

Arguably a game we should have won, but I thought there were plenty of positives in there.

I didn’t expect Northampton to be so route one, but in the main we coped well with it. That’s kind of battle that plays right in to the hands of players like Legge and Smith, I think that’s what they’re good at. The first half took a while to get going, it was quite a close game but we were good value for the goal I thought. Great header from Amoo. The end of the second half saw a few untidy mistakes that put us under a bit of pressure so it was disappointing to concede so late in the half for the second week running. 

Second half we really took the game to them and I thought it was much better to watch. Crookes and Amoo were linking well, as were Gibbons and Worrall. At times they couldn’t cope with our play down the wings and by comparison their full backs weren’t offering anywhere the forward outlet ours were. We got ourselves into some really good positions and there were definitely times we should have taken a shot instead of crossing. Listening to Askey after and it seems as though it’s an aspect of our game we’re working on to get people free in the box. The only thing I’ll say about Crookes is that when he gets in to forward areas  he seems to stutter a bit and I think that’s down to left back not being his natural position and it’s just not an instinct he has. Disappointing to see Manny go off, because I felt that when he and Conlon were getting on the ball that we were taking control. I felt Joyce had a good game in the midfield, he was covering everywhere. Pope had a hard afternoon against a couple of physical centre halves and he should have done better with the chances that came his way, but he really lead the line well. 

We played some nice stuff, it’s refreshing to see us actually working on ways to be more of a threat and seeing that in a game. I feel more hopeful that we won’t be battling relegation this year, we look to have more of an idea. Pick of the players today for me were Joyce, Gibbons, Worrall, Conlon and Smith. Anyone of those could have been man of the match. 

How they got away without a red card is beyond me.

Great to see we are going to cause problems with the direct running on the wings.. Love Conlon's work rate in midfield he just needs to improve his decision making passing the ball quicker and keep his concentration but think he can be a dominant midfielder for us.

Still think we need another ball playing attacking midfielder in the Khan mould, in particular with Manny's injury record. Would also like to see Monty play LB - him and Amoo combining on the left will scare every team to death in this league.

Ref ...oh my dear one of the worst ever!!

The officials once again ruined a decent game,where do they get these people from?

Back four was ok today but we didn't work their keeper enough,especially in the first half and goals may be a problem once again?Frustrating to see Manny coming off injured as well.

Roll on Burton Albion in midweek and a chance to see Monty,Cullen and Bennett perform.

Advert:

I'd like to see Cullen given a chance alongside Pope against a lesser League Two side. A midfield four of Amoo, Conlon, Joyce (seeing as Oyeleke is injured) and Worrall with Pope up alongside Cullen. I'm not a big fan of Joyce as he can look leggy and ponderous, but Burgess is untested as of yet. Can Lloyd play centre-midfield?

Unfortunately our best midfielder and arguably player will more than likely miss large parts of the season agaian seeing as he's so injury hit. With that in mind we need more quality in the middle of the park and not just another body. Someone like a Callum Guy from a few years back would be ideal.

So even if you block someone you still see their posts when they’re quoted. Any way around that admin?

if anyone watched that game today and thought it was the same as last season then I really must be watching something different. We have energy and a gameplan. 

Advert:

Enjoyed that thought we deserved win .

Legge should have had two by his name this evening .

Worrall ball delivery and whole performance a 8 .

Conlon was everywhere 8

Joyce 8 thought was he did was very good and always involved.

Amoo he gives us something else a 8 also plenty of excellence about him .

There was so many positives .

There goal a bit naff but we were docile around the end of the half and start of second half but once we got into a rhythm we made so many good passes and moves it was very enjoyable.

Thought we were ok. First half was a really poor watch with neither side looking remotely decent. Second half much better, before the game thought we should have started with a front two and I still think it. Pope was far too isolated for me. We deserved the win against a side apparently due for promotion, can’t see that myself and looking at today alone both will be mid table ish. 

Think the ref got it wrong for the corner but don’t agree with those saying Northampton are always like that. Never seen them play like that before. 

Decent enough point but think we missed out on 2 there. Still think we’re lacking options to come on and actually change the game. 

44 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Agreed.  For the first time since Page was in charge you can see what we are trying to do.  

With regards to Manny, is he over doing the weight training? He seems a very big unit and I just wonder if he is so injury prone because he is weight training too heavily?

Hate Bruno or not there was a clear style there so don’t agree with this comment. Shame about manny we will miss him massively as usual. Hence why all pre season I have been desperate for us to add another midfielder. 

I went to go in the RS handed over my ST but it wouldn’t scan.The guy there told me I had 2 options.I could go to the ticket office and get a replacement or they would sort out a replacement card for me.He had my ST card and then put it on top of a pile of cards.

Anyone know when a replacement ST can be expected?Will it be sent out in the post or will the replacement need to be collected in person from the ticket office?

Advert:

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought we were ok. First half was a really poor watch with neither side looking remotely decent. Second half much better, before the game thought we should have started with a front two and I still think it. Pope was far too isolated for me. We deserved the win against a side apparently due for promotion, can’t see that myself and looking at today alone both will be mid table ish. 

Think the ref got it wrong for the corner but don’t agree with those saying Northampton are always like that. Never seen them play like that before. 

Decent enough point but think we missed out on 2 there. Still think we’re lacking options to come on and actually change the game. 

We never let the expensive midfield they've acquired really get hold of the game. Apart from 15 minutes before half time I thought we looked the better side. When Oyeleke went off Cullen was generally quite deep and we looked more 4 2 3 1 than 4 4 2.  Seemed to work quite well as we kept a choke hold on their midfield and got more support for Pope. Their older players may well have tired but we didn't fold when Oyeleke went off, which we tended to last season.

Not read through the whole thread, so apologies if my comments have already been made, overall I was pleased with the performance today, a couple of appalling decisions by the referee, not much between the teams in the first have but we certainly turned it up for the second, Gibbo and Worral (man of the match for me) seemed to be linking up very well, Amoo has a decent touch and good turn of pace, although he seemed to fade in the last 15, Manny was putting in a decent shift despite coming in for a lot of physical attention, I was a bit frustrated by Conlon, I was he seemed to want to take an extra touch when he was In a good position instead of taking the shot, Popey led the line well and was unlucky with a couple of headers, good mention of Leggy who performed well against there big number 9 and almost scored with the header in the second half.....Scott Brown does what Scott Brown does...certainly kept us in the game in the second half.

positive signs..... it is going to take a couple of seasons to turn the club around, it’s early days, but I feel we are on the right track....UTV

Archived