Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I trust about Askey is that he is trying to take us into non league where he is comfortable and knows his level.

Keep up the happy clapping he needs all the support he can get.

All Vale fans pulling together with Carol and Kevin, a new era ,and a great feeling of positivity around the club. Then theres Ernie.

I'm indifferent to the signings thus far as they're largely depth. They all seem young and of good character which is a good start.

Manny re-signing is a big plus, should it happen, and him, Joyce, and Conlon is still a very decent central 3 at this level.

All waiting for the winger to play across from Worrall and the forward to compete with Pope. They will be the two key signings.

Someone on Twitter (might or might not be the lad who has moaned about every rumour so far) says we shouldn't be happy about Manny signing as he's already our player.

Sometimes in life you learn that some people enjoy outrage/being annoyed, and you have to learn to ignore them. Its a hobby for these people.

He has hinted that some potential signings will wait to see what other offers they can get. If they don't get fixed up then they could be within Vale's reach.

Asked how close he is to more signings, the manager said: "Pretty close. It is just a matter of waiting because there will be those players who get picked up by the bigger teams who are prepared to pay the money.

That'll sell season tickets.

Sometimes it's better to be vague John. Keep up appearances.

Get Durrell in then I might change my mind about Askey.

Do you still believe Durrell will cost the same as Lloyd like you said earlier?

Or is someone starting to understand the need to balance more affordable players with those that demand a higher wage.

Good for you Ern!!

Do you still believe Durrell will cost the same as Lloyd like you said earlier?

Or is someone starting to understand the need to balance more affordable players with those that demand a higher wage.

Good for you Ern!!

Smaller squad means you have to be confident a player can start 20 games. I get signing ex Macc players because promoted teams normally do well. Wage restraints at Macc pretty much decimated their team and I suspect Burgess and Kennedy were among the more influential players. I'd be happy if Durrel came as well. I don't boo and I'll give Lloyd support but I just don't see him having improved. One great cross in a night game away from home for a Pope header apart (cant remember the opposition) I just remember a player each game passed by. He must have something because managers kept giving him another contract. He's got to show a lot more than last time around to justify an unexpected second chance: maybe he will.

And keeping Garlick as CEO with his record in the last 3 years.

Can’t blame the Fat Controller now...

The fat mentalist has only been gone a few weeks - what has Garlick done / not done during that period that he ought to be sacked for? You're just a grumpy old twit!

The only thing I trust about Askey is that he is trying to take us into non league where he is comfortable and knows his level.

You do realize he could have done that last season?...AND been able to blame someone else? You really ought to engage brain before opening big gob!

That'll sell season tickets.

Sometimes it's better to be vague John. Keep up appearances.

He’s definitely too honest sometimes and even though I’m sure the majority of people know beyond a shadow of doubt that we are unfortunately very much at the bottom of the metaphorical football food chain, sometimes things are best left unsaid.

Askey seems to be doing well to me so far. He is retaining the players I want to retain, releasing the players I want releasing and he has signed players that make sense. There is a challenge ahead to get in players who will score more goals.

Askey seems to be doing well to me so far. He is retaining the players I want to retain, releasing the players I want releasing and he has signed players that make sense. There is a challenge ahead to get in players who will score more goals.

Neat summary. Askey is doing a decent job of tidying up the mess created by Smurf.

Is he though? So far in terms of signings he’s done exactly the same as aspin did last season. Signing non league players that he knows. Like Hannant and vassell.

Good question 🙂

The next few signings are crucial.

It does rather all feel familiar..back in the day, when we got promoted from this division we had experienced, good players.

Our worst striker for example, was Calvin Andrew, a guy who had played Championship games for Crystal Palace!

Lee Hughes and Pope were the main men.

Today we have...an older Pope and erm Ricky Millar...

The new signings are basically gambles.

Archived