onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

New signing seems to be positively thought of by both Wrexham and Macc fans so not a bad signing. End of the day our defensive record was ok last year, if hes good enough to oust Legge or Smith great, if not decent option to have,

Always like to gauge other fans views ( and me and you frequent OFF website ) .

See a truer picture rather than looking at it in black and white.

Most are praising him as easily good enough for League 2.

If he is a squad player who is an upgrade on Vassell and Rawlinson that is a start anyway.

Advert

I’m not concerned by the signings at the moment, we all wanted a root to branch clear out and that’s what Askey has done with no favouritism. Those who have gone I wish well but Askey states he was having to deal with things that he had never dealt with before in his time in football and Pope alluded to it in his sentinel column a few weeks back that there had been a few bad attitudes which can seriously effect a dressing room.

The signings so far are part of a bigger picture, no doubt good professionals and will be able to perform at this level as and when required, not everyone who signs is going be a starter, you need good solid pros to push the first 11 and then trust them to do a job when called upon..we’re building from the bottom here.

But have faith Askey has said several times he wants to sign experienced league players who know this league and what it’s about, the names you all crave are around the corner, agents are pushing for their clients to get the best wage possible (not necessarily the best club)

Remember as a wise man once said “IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME”

UTV

I’m hoping that Askey can get us Durrell from Macc.

Their forum is terrified he won’t sign and will join us.

Small forward / winger who is described as game changer.

Bradford have been rumoured to be interested but fingers crossed we can get him!

Wikipedia isn’t always accurate on height. I don’t remeber Mark Marshal being 6’ 1”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Marshall.

Some Wrexham fan on Twitter is saying he is 6’ 2” if not more.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mark-marshall/profil/spieler/92250

This place have him at 5 foot 7

https://www.cafc.co.uk/team/player/59492696f2155/profile

Charlton reckon he's 6 foot 4

Must never stop growing this lad

Thinking positively he’s young and won’t be on much and previously played for asked. Hopefully freeing up funds for the attacking players we need.

In realistic terms on paper it’s a real strange one that yet again would’ve been met with uproar if signed under the previous chairman. (A lower league signing one a 1 year deal)Strange imo to sign someone who only played 13 matches in the whole of last season though. I’m guessing he will be on the bench behind legge and Smith. But only 70 games at the age of 25, the majority of them in a lower Divison we will have to wait and see.

It’s another one like crookes and burgess that will be good signings if we sign 3/4 quality players as well. If we end up bringing in a whole squad of players like this then I wouldn’t consider them good signings.

Wrexham fans look like they wanted him stay so that says something. But I don’t like this signing players on 1 year deals it’s as if the manager has doubts.

Out of interest did askey sign him for Shrewsbury?

Yes, he did sign him, as soon as he took over.

Welcome to the new lad hope is time with us is successful and is performances are to a level whats required .

He sounds a real winner and ok its in the national league where he as had success but really is that level any worse than league two .

I do not think so .

A Crookes and Kennedy back pairing in home games and Legge and Smith awau UTV all good .

A new beginning where the atmosphere around the club will be and should be positive so any new signings can develop and be uplifted before entering the fray .

What evidence you basing that opinion on?

We're getting to that stage again where if a Vale fan doesn't recognise a player, they're not happy, despite the vast majority having average-poor knowledge of lower league players that aren't forwards.

This lad has pedigree (Man City youth, England u19 international, 20+ games in the SPL) and offers something neither Legge or Smith can do; pass a football.

Once again, statistically we had one of the best defences in the country, let alone the league last season. Signing a young centre half with top level pedigree who offers something different to what we already have is not a bad move.

If people are expecting a litany of 28 year olds who they 'recognise' then they're going to be disappointed. We just finished 20th, twice, and Norman has ran off with all the money. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The club is literally 3 weeks into a resusciation process. We nearly went bump on the 5th May. Literally, nearly went to adminstration and then a strong chance of liquidation as Norman was the sole creditor.

Ryan Lloyd is going to sign soon and I'm convinced there will be literal tears in Burslem. There's one gent on Twitter, who I won't name, who is angry about every single rumour (Crooks, Clarke, Lloyd, this lad, Mark Marshall). No one is good enough, he probably won't get a season ticket the signings are so bad. This is the same bloke who repeatedly messaged me to say Black and Gold were getting outplayed by Norman and we'd ballsed up.

Sick of being a broken record now. The club is shafted. We aren't going to chase experienced big names. I don't know if there is collective amnesia or Port Vale fans are the most impatient fans on the planet. What is winding me up is people were keen to give Bruno, Reggie, Chris Mbamba 'time' depsite them coming in from Scandinavian and Dutch pronvincial leagues, and wouldn't kick off at Norman until it was nearly too late, but are more than happy to stick the foot in straight away to these new signings.

I appreciate some of your points but our defence had such a good record because Aspin used to set up with a back 5 + 2 holding midfielders and lose 1-0 every week! And we have Scott Brown!

Not sure about the "top level pedigree" though, he's 25 and played 70 games - nearly all in non-league. This is very much a Richie Sutton type signing to me.

Also, with Legge being our tallest, most aerially dominant CB, he turns 34 in a month so it's doubtful he's going to play 40+ games which means that (currently) either Crookes or Kennedy will partner Smith (all 6'0). I think that leaves us exposed height wise. Newport got to the playoff final, they're nothing special, just a big team that do set plays well. Stevenage just missed out on the playoffs likewise.

If Kennedy is actually taller then I'd be happier, but I took his stats from the official Wrexham website where it was listed on there. My personal preference is to have some more height and power at the back.

I'm not saying we should be signing a raft of ex-Championship players, but I'm hopeful that we're aiming higher with the rest of the signings we make this summer...

Also, with Legge being our tallest, most aerially dominant CB, he turns 34 in a month so it's doubtful he's going to play 40+ games which means that (currently) either Crookes or Kennedy will partner Smith (all 6'0). I think that leaves us exposed height wise. Newport got to the playoff final, they're nothing special, just a big team that do set plays well. Stevenage just missed out on the playoffs likewise.

If Kennedy is actually taller then I'd be happier, but I took his stats from the official Wrexham website where it was listed on there. My personal preference is to have some more height and power at the back.

Mark Marshall is listed as 6’4’’ on the Charlton website.

I’m hoping Kennedy is taller than 6’ but am more inclined to belive the Wrexham fans who have been watching him and claim he is “6’2’’ if not more”

The sentinel now reporting that the Lloyd deal is all but done. First four signings bar Crooks have been extremely underwhelming.

Let's hope the next 6/8 don't follow the same "lets sign the same lads who got me up at Macc then failed miserably at league clubs" trend.

Fabio Cannavaro was 5"9. Exodus Geogahgan was a giant but seemed to struggle outjumping smaller men. Askey is more tica taca than Allardyce or Pulis so the physical attributes are less essential.

The sentinel now reporting that the Lloyd deal is all but done. First four signings bar Crooks have been extremely underwhelming.

Let's hope the next 6/8 don't follow the same "lets sign the same lads who got me up at Macc then failed miserably at league clubs" trend.

I don't know enough about Kennedy to pass judgement. Lloyd needs to have improved significantly or he will be a stick to beat the manager.

My guess is Askey is prepared to wait to try to get value in the market. It worked out for him at Macclesfield and for Pullis when Rudge worked with him at Stoke. At the moment it feels we are filling the squad place a lot of clubs currently bring in U23 players from bigger clubs to cover.

Archived