onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

Much as I moaned about defending we had one of the best defences and a goalie that finished with the third most clean sheets in the division. So we should strive to get back the defensive players who were on loan and perhaps a natural left back. That's 3 players. The rest is about midfield and attack. In fact we are probably OK for defensive midfield and I would go for three relatively expensive midfielders and attackers who will get goals. Then I would fill the squad with players of potential where the deal is you get the chance but we don't pay much.

Away from home our whole team defended better and it suits Legge and Smith as the emphasis is not as much on attacking .

At home a different ball game altogether where Legge and Smith dont look as comfortable when we have a go all game so id tempted never play them in home games but away they are solid enough so no problem them playing in just away games.

We need ten outfield signings who are ready take the first team shirts and own them in my opinion .

3 mediocre squad players on say 800 a week or one quality player on 2500 a week ?

I think the answer needs to be somewhere in the middle.

2 players on £1,250

One expensive wages signing can have a negative impact on the squad... and that’s before understanding if anyone has a “highest earner” contract meaning they immediately get bumped up to the new guys monster wages.

Good shout Iron Curtain.

we all speculate about wages but I'm not sure how it goes down with the rest of the players if we did go down the route I suggest.

Askey and the Shanahans combined are astute but I'd certainly be asking the question of Ajoses agent.

No harm asking and I might be in cloud cuckoo land . He hasn't got Charlton subbing his wages anymore so will have to lower his demands.

Mansfield loaned both Ajose and Walker last season and still missed out, also the saga with Dennis and our alleged bid for him.

So no guarantee anyway it's sometimes just down to the player fitting in.

just looked at the released list from leagues 1 and 2 and maybe the odd championship teams there are 100s being released we can surely get some good players from that lot

Yes but the decent ones will get fixed up and take their families away on holiday leaving the dross no one else wants.

It’s strange that we can be held to ransom by a player like Crookes.

Where else will he have the chance to play regular first team football.

Greedy agents are forcing up the expectations of their players.

Mitch Clarke will end up warming the bench at a Div 1 club instead of playing regular league football.

Ajose is exactly the sort of player we want.

Seems to be a bit of a nomad recently, quality over quantity is the mandate.

Don't even have a clue on his wages so probably a dead duck already.

3 mediocre squad players on say 800 a week or one quality player on 2500 a week ?

As for Marshall that ship has sailed, wrong side of 30 now . Not for me thanks.

Players like Ajose move around because the teams in the lower divisions only give short contracts.

I wouldn’t rule out layers like Marshall or Foley as the would improve the team and will be desperate to get a contract.

We must, however, invest as much money as possible into 2 strikers. It's the department that we have struggled with and we must rectify it. The problem we will face is that every club in our division is likely to be looking for the same thing.

Agreed! The defence is good enough (coverage required though) if we’d have scored 25 more goals last season, with the same defensive record we’d have been in the play offs.... add a creative midfielder and we’ll be rocking!

I'll be surprised if he isn't announced as a Vale player by 5 o clock tonight.

There are other players out there, we somehow unearthed Crookes and The Villa lad Clarke, none of us knew them, they did a sterling job, the nuggets are out there - keep the faith

Don't think he's holding us to ransom Ernie.

This is a big deal for him. Leaving home etc at a young age. Allegedly it's Colchester, does he want to move that far even if they offer him a bit more money.

Then you have to weigh up for example if he actually wants to play left back.

Maybe he sees himself as a CH so possibly thinking of how much game time.

Will be a lot of factors.

Holding us to ransom is a bit harsh

Pleased with that.

A part of a defence that conceded the 8th fewest in the league, with the 3rd most clean sheets and the best away defensive record in the EFL.

The right age and, from what Askey says, a good attitude.

Time to focus in on attack now.

Archived