onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aspin close to leaving the Vale ?? Staying

Fosse69

Havent posted on here for sometime and thought id have a gander over what was always going to be a smurf bashing session as people couldnt possibly actually review the performance of the manager in any other light. Like most I want Neil to succeed and im pretty gutted for him but I see a lot of his own making here-

* Recruitment- Neil has brought in some players which were on good wages in Brown, Legge, Joyce and like previous managers before him frittered away money on players that have added little to nothing to the squad. When he came here he was all about quality not quantity however we havent seen this, weve seen players brought in who were either not needed or no better than what we had. Rawlinson, Dodds, Joyce, Daniels, Dior I would question whether we needed and the proof that most have played little or not at all in some case suggest they weren't. He also had more money to spend than most managers before him back to the early 2000s with Hannant, Dior and Miller all requiring a fee and was happy to pay a fee for Sykes before that went wrong, however i would question the sense in signing another midfielder when we have 8 already. Hannant I would say warranted money the rest i'm not so sure. Loans- Quigley, Hardcastle and Dodds were a total waste of time and effort. Clark has been worthwhile.

Tactics- unfathomable by anyone other than teams playing against us who really do enjoy it. 1 up front against teams like Macclesfield, Chelthenham, Grimsby etc.. is purely down to him, he has the squad to not have to play that way and is choosing to. Seems to want 11 players that will get a 6 out of 10 rather than anyone who may be a 9 one week and 5 the next which is naturally going to happen with young and lower league players and doesnt win many games.

Man-management- doesnt appear to be his strong point. many rumblings of discontent in the ranks and the favorites card thrown about (most managers accused of this though). Gibbons, Daniels, Kanu, Miller all not happy with their time on the pitch and seems to be once you are out of favour thats it.

Advert

Havent posted on here for sometime and thought id have a gander over what was always going to be a smurf bashing session as people couldnt possibly actually review the performance of the manager in any other light. Like most I want Neil to succeed and im pretty gutted for him but I see a lot of his own making here-

* Recruitment- Neil has brought in some players which were on good wages in Brown, Legge, Joyce and like previous managers before him frittered away money on players that have added little to nothing to the squad. When he came here he was all about quality not quantity however we havent seen this, weve seen players brought in who were either not needed or no better than what we had. Rawlinson, Dodds, Joyce, Daniels, Dior I would question whether we needed and the proof that most have played little or not at all in some case suggest they weren't. He also had more money to spend than most managers before him back to the early 2000s with Hannant, Dior and Miller all requiring a fee and was happy to pay a fee for Sykes before that went wrong, however i would question the sense in signing another midfielder when we have 8 already. Hannant I would say warranted money the rest i'm not so sure. Loans- Quigley, Hardcastle and Dodds were a total waste of time and effort. Clark has been worthwhile.

Tactics- unfathomable by anyone other than teams playing against us who really do enjoy it. 1 up front against teams like Macclesfield, Chelthenham, Grimsby etc.. is purely down to him, he has the squad to not have to play that way and is choosing to. Seems to want 11 players that will get a 6 out of 10 rather than anyone who may be a 9 one week and 5 the next which is naturally going to happen with young and lower league players and doesnt win many games.

Man-management- doesnt appear to be his strong point. many rumblings of discontent in the ranks and the favorites card thrown about (most managers accused of this though). Gibbons, Daniels, Kanu, Miller all not happy with their time on the pitch and seems to be once you are out of favour thats it.

Hannant wouldn’t get dropped even if he was injured

He also had more money to spend than most managers before him back to the early 2000s

This amazes me... I should pigging hope so given that transfer fees in equal around £2.2m without considering a few youth team sales.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Of that windfall, Norman has released

That’s less than 5%

Kanu, Quigley, Daniels, Hardcastle... they don’t sound like the choices of a manager who has a budget which appropriately reinvests a portion of £2.2m received.

Norman received that cash and thought of one person and one person only... himself. How do I reduce my losses as quickly as possible so I don’t lose on this deal.

These are all the reasons why I and many others have been so critical of Aspo over the season so far. However, on reflection, the reasons why I think it's right Aspo is staying are these:

i) I have little or no faith that Norman would pay out the going rate, which would be expensive, for a more succesful replacement and then back it up with January window and summer rebuilding budgets

ii) The instability it would cause would potentially be very damaging; we need stability more than we need a change

iii) It's possible we could still go down but unlikely, mostly because there are worse teams than us: Yeovil, Morecambe, Cambridge, Macc (despite their recent turn of form) and Notts County (who are now on their third manager, having also spent a fortune, with no discernable improvement).

Aspin has shown all the negative characteristics you mention but, judging by Saturday, he can still get the players to put in a more than decent performance. If he's staying, he'll have to show that he can do this consistently and change his over-cautious and negative approach. I still have faith in him but it's not over yet. We have a difficult run of fixtures and, if we plummet rather than gain ground, he will be on thin ice again.

From our perspective, the best we can do now is to get behind him and the players. Aspo, of course, will have to show leadership but his chances will be a darned sight better if he changes and we support him.

Archived